Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Land & New Construction
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
David Robertson
  • Architect
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
Duplex + ADUs Development

David Robertson
  • Architect
  • Atlanta, GA
Posted

Hi, 

I am attempting to develop something similar to this on an R-5 lot in Atlanta. The zoning doesn't allow for more than two dwelling units per lot. 

Right now the lot is right at 10,000 SF. Is that interior lot line assumed when a duplex is built, or is some kind of formal process needed?

Has anyone seen or done something similar? 

User Stats

Votes
Azeez K.
  • Investor
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Atlanta, GA
Replied

Hi @David Robertson

I don't think the city would allow two duplex and ADUs development like the way you are describing in the image above. The city does not allow more than 2 dwellings per lot but I am very curious if this is something the city would allow. Lately, city has been more flexible for high density zoning. However, this would be putting 2 attached units in front and 2 attached units at the back so don't think that would fly but if it does that would be fantastic. I would start by speaking with someone in the zoning department. I built an ADU where the front house was technically a Triplex and back house was an ADU but the ADU couldn't be more than X% of the total area of the main house. Here is a post https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/44/topics/1080563-build... that shows some before after

I am super curious and would be interested to hear on your findings. I have the zoning department email if you want and they are pretty quick to respond. However, it would be best to talk to someone in Zoning. Good Luck and much success.

User Stats

Votes
Azeez K.
  • Investor
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Atlanta, GA
Replied

Hi @D

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
David Robertson
  • Architect
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
  • Architect
  • Atlanta, GA
Replied
I spoke with the planner on duty, and the trick is to first apply for a Zero Lot Line (ZLL) configuration. Once that is approved you can submit for permits given that all of the other density metrics are met. The lot we are working with is around 10K SF, so we should be able to get a sizeable duplex with ADUs. Obviously the ADUs are capped at 750 SF.

My client and I are pursuing this option now! I will keep you posted. 

Quote from @Azeez K.:

Hi @David Robertson

I don't think the city would allow two duplex and ADUs development like the way you are describing in the image above. The city does not allow more than 2 dwellings per lot but I am very curious if this is something the city would allow. Lately, city has been more flexible for high density zoning. However, this would be putting 2 attached units in front and 2 attached units at the back so don't think that would fly but if it does that would be fantastic. I would start by speaking with someone in the zoning department. I built an ADU where the front house was technically a Triplex and back house was an ADU but the ADU couldn't be more than X% of the total area of the main house. Here is a post https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/44/topics/1080563-build... that shows some before after

I am super curious and would be interested to hear on your findings. I have the zoning department email if you want and they are pretty quick to respond. However, it would be best to talk to someone in Zoning. Good Luck and much success.

User Stats

Votes
Emily Beatty
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Atlanta, GA
Replied

How did this turn out for you@David Robertson? I am considering exploring converting a separate 2 car garage in the back of a duplex into an ADU. The lot is big enough to where I may be able to make it a legal triplex but I'd want to explore both options. Any input @Azeez K.

User Stats

Votes
Azeez K.
  • Investor
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Atlanta, GA
Replied
Hi@Emily Beatty

First thing check out the current zoning you can use Maps and GIS (Geographic Information System) Atlanta https://www.atlantaga.gov/government/departments/city-planni...

see if it allows for high density if so then you should be able to add. However, best to call zoning and verify if what you are doing is possible. Ideally call between 10-2 pm cuz the city planners should be in the office (lol). Feel free to dm me if you have any questions

User Stats

Votes
David Robertson
  • Architect
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
  • Architect
  • Atlanta, GA
Replied
Quote from @Emily Beatty:

How did this turn out for you@David Robertson? I am considering exploring converting a separate 2 car garage in the back of a duplex into an ADU. The lot is big enough to where I may be able to make it a legal triplex but I'd want to explore both options. Any input @Azeez K.

We ended up not going forward with that particular project. I'm happy to help decipher ATL zoning if need be.