VA Loan for multi-family property

VA Loan for multi-family property

Rental Property Investor · Johnson City, TN · Member since 2020 · 4 posts · 0 votes

I am looking to buy my first investment property in early 2021, a multi-family home which will also be my primary residence. I am eligible for the VA loan, and will have about $50,000 saved, so I have the option of either 0% down or the traditional 20%. There are a lot of requirements that come with the VA loan: the property has to be in good condition, and require minimal repairs; no manufactured homes; foreclosures and bank owned homes don't qualify; it has to be a primary residence for >12 months; and many more.

Does anyone here have any experience using the VA loan? More specifically, using it for a multi-family property. What was your experience, and would you recommend I limit my search to properties that meet the loan requirement criteria, or pass on the 0% down opportunity?

I will be buying property in eastern TN, where multi-family properties cost $120,000-$200,000. Financing with 20% down would still leave me enough money to make minor repairs, and I have a $35,000 credit limit if I buy a higher end property, and/or one that requires extensive rehab.

Thank you in advance for any help, I look forward to becoming a part of the BP community as I begin my journey to becoming a real estate investor!

0Reply
46 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Springfield, MO · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 890 votes
6y

@Daniel Jarzynski i've written a couple of VA loan articles for BP, and in my opinion it is the best loan you can get for a primary residence. If you use it and hold the cash as reserves you will be able to whether any downturn while you are getting all the benefits of a house hack. There is even a VA renovation option that will allow you to buy properties that require a little work, though a lot of lenders don't offer this, or know about it, yet as it is a newer program, so you may need to shop around a little bit.

Also, welcome to the military REI community, there are a surprising amount of us!

See this reply in the discussion

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Surf City, NC · Member since 2017 · 648 posts · 597 votes
    6y

    Is Johnson City, TN the same from the Wagon Wheel song?

    I would try and maximize your VA benefits and look for a 2-4 unit property that you can house hack. Keep saving your cash for your reserve fund and then property #2. If you dont mind me asking, why are you waiting until 2021?

  • Member since 2018 · 12 posts · 7 votes
    6y

    Hey Daniel,

    Would be worth reaching out to my friend Eric Upchurch over at Active Duty Passive Income, they set people up to invest with their VA.


    Dave

  • Rental Property Investor · Springfield, MO · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 890 votes
    6y

    @Daniel Jarzynski i've written a couple of VA loan articles for BP, and in my opinion it is the best loan you can get for a primary residence. If you use it and hold the cash as reserves you will be able to whether any downturn while you are getting all the benefits of a house hack. There is even a VA renovation option that will allow you to buy properties that require a little work, though a lot of lenders don't offer this, or know about it, yet as it is a newer program, so you may need to shop around a little bit.

    Also, welcome to the military REI community, there are a surprising amount of us!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.