Please help analyze 4plex deal

Please help analyze 4plex deal

Investor · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2009 · 106 posts · 50 votes

I've been waiting for this property to come up for sale. It's directly across the street from me so it would be perfect for my first mf property. Here are the numbers I know so far:

Rents
4 units all currently occupied on one year leases
- #1: 1/1 $995 monthly
- #2: 1/1 $995 monthly
- #3: 1/1 $995 monthly
- #4: 2/1 $1,100 monthly
- Gross rents: $4,085 monthly

Expenses
- $12,070 taxes annually
- $350 monthly insurance (my estimate, they have liability only right now)
- $175 monthly landscaping
- $120 water (electrical on separate meters, tenant pays)
- Total expenses: $1,651 monthly

NOI around $2,434 before vacancy, maintenance, and management (although i would likely self-manage these)

Property needs about $50K in other repairs and udpates from what I can see. Haven't been able to walk each unit though. Roof is about 5 years old. Plumbing repairs done recently. Electrical as well but needs updating. Washer and dryer connections in each unit. Window units, no central air.

Rents are on par with the area but updated units are going for close about $1,200 for 1/1 and $1,350 for 2/1. It's a great area within walking distance (5 minutes) to shopping, grocery, coffee shops, and historic neighborhood, and about 5 minute drive to downtown.

They are asking $695K for it. (Owner passed. Kids are selling. Not particularly interested in seller financing it but will consider). I'm thinking of offering $450K (cash and bank loan), make improvements as leases end, and then refi and increase rents as necessary. What do you think?

The other motivating factor here (for me) is that I want to move my mom into one of the units so she's close by. Separate question for the lenders out there: Could this qualify as a second home for FHA based on her occupying one unit? Someone suggested this.

I appreciate any input on this. Thank you!

1Reply
38 views

13 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2024 · 21 posts · 9 votes
    1y

    Hey.  It looks like you have this one pretty well dialed in.  I'm curious where your $450k number comes from and how does that compare with the current market?  Seems to be a deep cut in price if the market can bear the $695k asking price.  Hopefully you get it.

    It looks like your strategy would work out great, especially if you can get it anywhere close to $450k.  It starts to lean out if the price goes up from there.

    I'll leave the other question for a lending expert.

    Best of luck.

  • Member since 2024 · 1 post · 0 votes
    1y

    Hey Ram, I'd agree with David, I think you'd like to include a few more expenses like ongoing repairs, trash and replacement costs, plus add in something for vacancy and bad debt, plus add in closing costs. On the revenue side,it seems there isn't much room to increase rents, no central air, maybe an older building etc. Assuming the cap rate for the area is around 5%, by my math, it would get you to ~$427k . my other assumption is a financing rate of around 4% and even with a 10% bump in rents you would just breakeven. My assumptions may be off  especially if you get the loan at a reduced rate, but it seems like you would need to get it close to the price you are indicating. It also assumes that your mother pays you rent. 

  • Investor · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2009 · 106 posts · 50 votes
    1y

    @David Bohn Thanks for taking a look. Yeah, it would be a deep cut in their asking price which is why I wanted some opinions. Wanted to be sure I wasn't missing something. Even at $450K it's a skinny deal but I'm more interested in it for its location that its cashflow potential. I arrived at $450K based on working backwards to what loan amount at 80% LTV could be supported based on the rents and DSCR of 1.25. I also just generally compared to the 1% rule.

    @Elliott Sinclair Thanks for reviewing. Yes, my mom would pay rent; or rather, I would be paying it but for purposes of the analysis I'm just assuming a regular tenant. I agree that cap rate would yield a lower price than even $450K. 

  • Gino BarbaroPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · St Augustine, FL · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    @Ram Gonzales

    What is the age of the property? And what is the median income of the area? I would build in a mgmt fee even if you manage, banks will want to see that. Also a fee for garbage, accounting/legal fees, repairs and maintenance. I think the expenses are light.

    If you want to achieve market rents, no central air is going to be an issue. It's odd they have washer dryer hook ups but no central air.

    I think your price is reasonable, especially with the cap ex you're going to have to do.

    I don't know about owner/occupied status. That would be a nice bonus.

    Good Luck

    Gino

  • Investor · Miami, FL · Member since 2015 · 355 posts · 268 votes
    1y

    That's a steep steep discount. Not dissuading you by any means, you should offer what makes sense. But why specifically this one? A lot of deals in your area would probably work if you lop 35% off the list price.

  • Investor · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2009 · 106 posts · 50 votes
    1y

    @Robert Rixer This one is directly across the street from my house and I could use one of the units to have my mom close by (health issues). That's why I'm particularly interested in this one. But that's my question really. Is my offer reasonable? Could someone else make it work closer to their list price? I rather doubt it but I could be wrong.

  • Investor · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2009 · 106 posts · 50 votes
    1y

    @Gino Barbaro Built in 1947. Median income for the city is $86K for a family of four. I agree with you on expenses which is why my offer is where it is. Thank you.

  • Gino BarbaroPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · St Augustine, FL · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    @Ram Gonzales
    not liking the year. Find out the median income of the neighborhood not the city

    The age is why you need to offer what you're offering 

  • Joe S.Pro Member
    Investor · San Antonio · Member since 2020 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    1y

    That’s a skinny deal even at 450k..

  • Rental Property Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2021 · 774 posts · 500 votes
    1y

    @Ram Gonzales - I bought a quad earlier this year and in addition to running the numbers as a larger multifamily property (income, expenses, NOI) I would also encourage you to look at the price/unit for triplexs and quads in the area to get a general sense of a comparative market approach. The price/unit in the area will likely be reviewed/analyzed by an appraiser and in fact, could be the main driver of their valuation of the building. It might also give you some insights into why the list price may be what it is... For example, if most quads in the area sold between $600-$650k, then their asking price may not be crazy. However, if most quads sold for ~$500k or so, you know they're likely way off and your offer of $450k might actually be intriguing/interesting.

    On another note, if your rent increase estimates are accurate, you'll bring in about $10,200 more on an annual basis (assuming you achieve the $1200 and $1350 rents) so putting in $50k in renovation just passing my gut check of getting about a 20% yield on renovation costs - not great, but not bad either. 


    Good Luck!

  • Investor · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2009 · 106 posts · 50 votes
    1y

    @Greg Kasmer Very helpful. Thank you. I'll do some additional digging in the comps with that lens in mind and report back. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2021 · 774 posts · 500 votes
    1y

    @Ram Gonzales - Best of luck! I think if you understand the price per unit as well as the price per square foot in the zip code and nearby zip codes that will give you a good idea of the comparable market analysis approach and appraiser might use. I've also asked real estate agents for their opinion as well. 

  • Real Estate Consultant · Columbia, MD · Member since 2017 · 160 posts · 55 votes
    1y

    @Ram Gonzales
    It looks like a strong opportunity, especially with the rental upside and proximity to your current home. Offering $450K would leave room to cover the $50K in repairs, and since market rents support a solid increase after updates, this could boost your long-term cash flow significantly. Moving your mom in might help with the FHA question, though FHA for multi-family typically requires you as the owner-occupant to live in the property.

    Keep me posted would love to hear how everything turns out!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.