CRE Syndications/Joint Ventures

CRE Syndications/Joint Ventures

Member since 2023 · 54 posts · 14 votes

Hey everyone,

I have been in the process of learning the commercial real estate game specifically with syndication and joint ventures in mind for the future. I have no deal experience and all of my knowledge comes from self-study and networking. Me and a partner have begun creating a rolodex of capital that we believe can be raised, but we are hesitant to even try without a being more comfortable in the space. We also realize we have a lack of credibility due to lack of deals that have been done. I am looking for any advice on where are next steps should be, and would specifically ask if there is anyone out there with experience in the space that would be willing to share their experiences and any tips/advice. I would love to hear both success and failures and hope to meet some people along the way. I have already met some very knwoledgeable and experienced investors and operators through BP, and was hoping to grow that list.

Thanks ahead of time.

0Reply
52 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Montreal, Canada · Member since 2013 · 22 posts · 14 votes
2y
Quote from @Josh Haney:
Quote from @Francis Faucher:

Hey Josh!

It's not impossible to raise capital with little to no experience, but it's harder. Think about it and put yourself in the shoes of the investor. The first 2 things you want to build is your REPUTATION and RELATIONSHIPS. If you don't have these, I would avoid raising capital, but here's some tips on top of my mind:

- Sometimes, it's better to start with debt instead of equity. Or offer a mix, like x% interest + 30% equity ownership. Or x% Interest + 50% ownership. At first, you will need to offer something really interesting to your investors. 

- You need to be the best in terms of knowledge in your specific asset class. Make sure you know the in's and out's of the asset type you're looking to invest in. Because investors love to ask questions. You want to be the reference (in terms of knowledge)

- Understand how to do the financial modeling of this type of asset or if you outsource, make sure that person is available when you pitch. There's specificities for SFH, multi res, industrial, commercial, self-storage, hotels, etc. Make sure your financial modeling is SUPER conservative with a lot of stress tests. If you raise money, try to present the pessimist scenario.

- Try to put all the steps of a deal in a project management software like Asana, Monday, etc. When I say all the steps, I mean all the steps. From the ad you create for your deal flow to the cash flow distribution after you exit the project. 

- Make sure you are surrounded with pros who's taking care of your financial compliance, SEC compliance, IRS compliance, legal compliance, etc.

- Understand syndication structure that you want to offer. Example: Pref of 8%, catch up 2%, then split 20/80 till 15%, then 30/70 after. Think about the management fee, acquisition fee, etc.

- Understand the rules of the syndication or the fund world (Reg D 506B vs Reg D 506C). Who do you plan to target (accredited investors or not), do you plan to advertise to the public, Do you need an RIA, etc

- Make sure you know what to look for in a PPM, LPA, subs docs, etc if you don't do them by your legal team. Some investors loves to add some clauses that could hurt you. Sometime saw investors add clauses that were like put options, but in the real estate market. The GP got screwed and were force to buy the LPs shares at X$/share. Crazy.

To be quite honest, if you don't have any experience at all, I would avoid AT ALL COST raising money. You might burn your reputation and relations. ESPECIALLY in this economic era.

I think your best bet would be to go through your rolodex and ask them what they are looking for (asset type, specific returns, timeline, etc) and become a bird dog/wholesaler where you would sell the deals you find. You can ask for a small share of the project if you want. Focus on finding good deals, build a 1 pager/OM that shows the key criteria's of the projects (that will of course fit the investors criteria's). Show that the deals you find are really good, your presentation/OM are good with good underwriting/financial modeling. 

After a couple deals you do like that with a key player, tell them that from now on, you would like to manage the project yourself. You offer them minimum return of 8% on their cash, and then split the rest 20/80. The more you do projects with them, the more you can ask for more in the partnership.

I started real estate more than a decade ago, trust me, I did all type of deals and saw all type of stuff. Even created and launched a real estate fund. Raising capital sounds easy, but it's not. You deal with other people savings, and if some problems occur, you might have huge problems with the SEC.

Please don't take my comment as negative, it's quite the opposite. I encourage you to become the best in the asset class you are aiming. 

Good luck!

Francis


Thanks so much Francis for such a thorough and detailed response. I will look at all of these and take some deep dives. I know that I am certainly not in the place to raise money, thats why I was looking to this forum to find a way to begin building that knowledge and experience to eventually point me in the right direction. The last thing I want to do is jump the gun and have a deal go south before I have even gotten in the door. I really appreciate your response and I look forward to learning more on the topics you mentioned.

 My pleasure, don't hesitate to contact me!

See this reply in the discussion

13 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Josh Haney:

    Hey everyone,

    I have been in the process of learning the commercial real estate game specifically with syndication and joint ventures in mind for the future. I have no deal experience and all of my knowledge comes from self-study and networking. Me and a partner have begun creating a rolodex of capital that we believe can be raised, but we are hesitant to even try without a being more comfortable in the space. We also realize we have a lack of credibility due to lack of deals that have been done. I am looking for any advice on where are next steps should be, and would specifically ask if there is anyone out there with experience in the space that would be willing to share their experiences and any tips/advice. I would love to hear both success and failures and hope to meet some people along the way. I have already met some very knwoledgeable and experienced investors and operators through BP, and was hoping to grow that list.

    Thanks ahead of time.


     Start with partnering with a more experienced sponsor. If you could add value by bringing in money for them, that is a great place to start. You do not need to get a ton of the upside in the deal, some money is better than nothing but you are doing it for experience. 

    7e investments53 Reviews
  • Investor · Montreal, Canada · Member since 2013 · 22 posts · 14 votes
    2y

    Hey Josh!

    It's not impossible to raise capital with little to no experience, but it's harder. Think about it and put yourself in the shoes of the investor. The first 2 things you want to build is your REPUTATION and RELATIONSHIPS. If you don't have these, I would avoid raising capital, but here's some tips on top of my mind:

    - Sometimes, it's better to start with debt instead of equity. Or offer a mix, like x% interest + 30% equity ownership. Or x% Interest + 50% ownership. At first, you will need to offer something really interesting to your investors. 

    - You need to be the best in terms of knowledge in your specific asset class. Make sure you know the in's and out's of the asset type you're looking to invest in. Because investors love to ask questions. You want to be the reference (in terms of knowledge)

    - Understand how to do the financial modeling of this type of asset or if you outsource, make sure that person is available when you pitch. There's specificities for SFH, multi res, industrial, commercial, self-storage, hotels, etc. Make sure your financial modeling is SUPER conservative with a lot of stress tests. If you raise money, try to present the pessimist scenario.

    - Try to put all the steps of a deal in a project management software like Asana, Monday, etc. When I say all the steps, I mean all the steps. From the ad you create for your deal flow to the cash flow distribution after you exit the project. 

    - Make sure you are surrounded with pros who's taking care of your financial compliance, SEC compliance, IRS compliance, legal compliance, etc.

    - Understand syndication structure that you want to offer. Example: Pref of 8%, catch up 2%, then split 20/80 till 15%, then 30/70 after. Think about the management fee, acquisition fee, etc.

    - Understand the rules of the syndication or the fund world (Reg D 506B vs Reg D 506C). Who do you plan to target (accredited investors or not), do you plan to advertise to the public, Do you need an RIA, etc

    - Make sure you know what to look for in a PPM, LPA, subs docs, etc if you don't do them by your legal team. Some investors loves to add some clauses that could hurt you. Sometime saw investors add clauses that were like put options, but in the real estate market. The GP got screwed and were force to buy the LPs shares at X$/share. Crazy.

    To be quite honest, if you don't have any experience at all, I would avoid AT ALL COST raising money. You might burn your reputation and relations. ESPECIALLY in this economic era.

    I think your best bet would be to go through your rolodex and ask them what they are looking for (asset type, specific returns, timeline, etc) and become a bird dog/wholesaler where you would sell the deals you find. You can ask for a small share of the project if you want. Focus on finding good deals, build a 1 pager/OM that shows the key criteria's of the projects (that will of course fit the investors criteria's). Show that the deals you find are really good, your presentation/OM are good with good underwriting/financial modeling. 

    After a couple deals you do like that with a key player, tell them that from now on, you would like to manage the project yourself. You offer them minimum return of 8% on their cash, and then split the rest 20/80. The more you do projects with them, the more you can ask for more in the partnership.

    I started real estate more than a decade ago, trust me, I did all type of deals and saw all type of stuff. Even created and launched a real estate fund. Raising capital sounds easy, but it's not. You deal with other people savings, and if some problems occur, you might have huge problems with the SEC.

    Please don't take my comment as negative, it's quite the opposite. I encourage you to become the best in the asset class you are aiming. 

    Good luck!

    Francis

  • Investor · Miami, FL · Member since 2015 · 355 posts · 268 votes
    2y

    What's your competitive advantage? How will you add value to the investments better than the next guy?


    From a practical standpoint, get some reps under your belt with even a 2-6 unit multifamily on your own. 

  • Member since 2023 · 54 posts · 14 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Robert Rixer:

    What's your competitive advantage? How will you add value to the investments better than the next guy?


    From a practical standpoint, get some reps under your belt with even a 2-6 unit multifamily on your own. 


    That makes a ton of sense. I am aware that I don't have the experience or deals under me belt, and will take your advice on seeing what I can accomplish on my own first.

    Thank you!
  • Member since 2023 · 54 posts · 14 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Chris Seveney:
    Quote from @Josh Haney:

    Hey everyone,

    I have been in the process of learning the commercial real estate game specifically with syndication and joint ventures in mind for the future. I have no deal experience and all of my knowledge comes from self-study and networking. Me and a partner have begun creating a rolodex of capital that we believe can be raised, but we are hesitant to even try without a being more comfortable in the space. We also realize we have a lack of credibility due to lack of deals that have been done. I am looking for any advice on where are next steps should be, and would specifically ask if there is anyone out there with experience in the space that would be willing to share their experiences and any tips/advice. I would love to hear both success and failures and hope to meet some people along the way. I have already met some very knwoledgeable and experienced investors and operators through BP, and was hoping to grow that list.

    Thanks ahead of time.


     Start with partnering with a more experienced sponsor. If you could add value by bringing in money for them, that is a great place to start. You do not need to get a ton of the upside in the deal, some money is better than nothing but you are doing it for experience. 


    Thanks Chris, that is what I am hoping to accomplish at this stage-finding a way to provide value to those with experience.

    Do you have any advice on the best place to find such connections even if it is just to learn?
  • Member since 2023 · 54 posts · 14 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Francis Faucher:

    Hey Josh!

    It's not impossible to raise capital with little to no experience, but it's harder. Think about it and put yourself in the shoes of the investor. The first 2 things you want to build is your REPUTATION and RELATIONSHIPS. If you don't have these, I would avoid raising capital, but here's some tips on top of my mind:

    - Sometimes, it's better to start with debt instead of equity. Or offer a mix, like x% interest + 30% equity ownership. Or x% Interest + 50% ownership. At first, you will need to offer something really interesting to your investors. 

    - You need to be the best in terms of knowledge in your specific asset class. Make sure you know the in's and out's of the asset type you're looking to invest in. Because investors love to ask questions. You want to be the reference (in terms of knowledge)

    - Understand how to do the financial modeling of this type of asset or if you outsource, make sure that person is available when you pitch. There's specificities for SFH, multi res, industrial, commercial, self-storage, hotels, etc. Make sure your financial modeling is SUPER conservative with a lot of stress tests. If you raise money, try to present the pessimist scenario.

    - Try to put all the steps of a deal in a project management software like Asana, Monday, etc. When I say all the steps, I mean all the steps. From the ad you create for your deal flow to the cash flow distribution after you exit the project. 

    - Make sure you are surrounded with pros who's taking care of your financial compliance, SEC compliance, IRS compliance, legal compliance, etc.

    - Understand syndication structure that you want to offer. Example: Pref of 8%, catch up 2%, then split 20/80 till 15%, then 30/70 after. Think about the management fee, acquisition fee, etc.

    - Understand the rules of the syndication or the fund world (Reg D 506B vs Reg D 506C). Who do you plan to target (accredited investors or not), do you plan to advertise to the public, Do you need an RIA, etc

    - Make sure you know what to look for in a PPM, LPA, subs docs, etc if you don't do them by your legal team. Some investors loves to add some clauses that could hurt you. Sometime saw investors add clauses that were like put options, but in the real estate market. The GP got screwed and were force to buy the LPs shares at X$/share. Crazy.

    To be quite honest, if you don't have any experience at all, I would avoid AT ALL COST raising money. You might burn your reputation and relations. ESPECIALLY in this economic era.

    I think your best bet would be to go through your rolodex and ask them what they are looking for (asset type, specific returns, timeline, etc) and become a bird dog/wholesaler where you would sell the deals you find. You can ask for a small share of the project if you want. Focus on finding good deals, build a 1 pager/OM that shows the key criteria's of the projects (that will of course fit the investors criteria's). Show that the deals you find are really good, your presentation/OM are good with good underwriting/financial modeling. 

    After a couple deals you do like that with a key player, tell them that from now on, you would like to manage the project yourself. You offer them minimum return of 8% on their cash, and then split the rest 20/80. The more you do projects with them, the more you can ask for more in the partnership.

    I started real estate more than a decade ago, trust me, I did all type of deals and saw all type of stuff. Even created and launched a real estate fund. Raising capital sounds easy, but it's not. You deal with other people savings, and if some problems occur, you might have huge problems with the SEC.

    Please don't take my comment as negative, it's quite the opposite. I encourage you to become the best in the asset class you are aiming. 

    Good luck!

    Francis


    Thanks so much Francis for such a thorough and detailed response. I will look at all of these and take some deep dives. I know that I am certainly not in the place to raise money, thats why I was looking to this forum to find a way to begin building that knowledge and experience to eventually point me in the right direction. The last thing I want to do is jump the gun and have a deal go south before I have even gotten in the door. I really appreciate your response and I look forward to learning more on the topics you mentioned.
  • Investor · Montreal, Canada · Member since 2013 · 22 posts · 14 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Josh Haney:
    Quote from @Francis Faucher:

    Hey Josh!

    It's not impossible to raise capital with little to no experience, but it's harder. Think about it and put yourself in the shoes of the investor. The first 2 things you want to build is your REPUTATION and RELATIONSHIPS. If you don't have these, I would avoid raising capital, but here's some tips on top of my mind:

    - Sometimes, it's better to start with debt instead of equity. Or offer a mix, like x% interest + 30% equity ownership. Or x% Interest + 50% ownership. At first, you will need to offer something really interesting to your investors. 

    - You need to be the best in terms of knowledge in your specific asset class. Make sure you know the in's and out's of the asset type you're looking to invest in. Because investors love to ask questions. You want to be the reference (in terms of knowledge)

    - Understand how to do the financial modeling of this type of asset or if you outsource, make sure that person is available when you pitch. There's specificities for SFH, multi res, industrial, commercial, self-storage, hotels, etc. Make sure your financial modeling is SUPER conservative with a lot of stress tests. If you raise money, try to present the pessimist scenario.

    - Try to put all the steps of a deal in a project management software like Asana, Monday, etc. When I say all the steps, I mean all the steps. From the ad you create for your deal flow to the cash flow distribution after you exit the project. 

    - Make sure you are surrounded with pros who's taking care of your financial compliance, SEC compliance, IRS compliance, legal compliance, etc.

    - Understand syndication structure that you want to offer. Example: Pref of 8%, catch up 2%, then split 20/80 till 15%, then 30/70 after. Think about the management fee, acquisition fee, etc.

    - Understand the rules of the syndication or the fund world (Reg D 506B vs Reg D 506C). Who do you plan to target (accredited investors or not), do you plan to advertise to the public, Do you need an RIA, etc

    - Make sure you know what to look for in a PPM, LPA, subs docs, etc if you don't do them by your legal team. Some investors loves to add some clauses that could hurt you. Sometime saw investors add clauses that were like put options, but in the real estate market. The GP got screwed and were force to buy the LPs shares at X$/share. Crazy.

    To be quite honest, if you don't have any experience at all, I would avoid AT ALL COST raising money. You might burn your reputation and relations. ESPECIALLY in this economic era.

    I think your best bet would be to go through your rolodex and ask them what they are looking for (asset type, specific returns, timeline, etc) and become a bird dog/wholesaler where you would sell the deals you find. You can ask for a small share of the project if you want. Focus on finding good deals, build a 1 pager/OM that shows the key criteria's of the projects (that will of course fit the investors criteria's). Show that the deals you find are really good, your presentation/OM are good with good underwriting/financial modeling. 

    After a couple deals you do like that with a key player, tell them that from now on, you would like to manage the project yourself. You offer them minimum return of 8% on their cash, and then split the rest 20/80. The more you do projects with them, the more you can ask for more in the partnership.

    I started real estate more than a decade ago, trust me, I did all type of deals and saw all type of stuff. Even created and launched a real estate fund. Raising capital sounds easy, but it's not. You deal with other people savings, and if some problems occur, you might have huge problems with the SEC.

    Please don't take my comment as negative, it's quite the opposite. I encourage you to become the best in the asset class you are aiming. 

    Good luck!

    Francis


    Thanks so much Francis for such a thorough and detailed response. I will look at all of these and take some deep dives. I know that I am certainly not in the place to raise money, thats why I was looking to this forum to find a way to begin building that knowledge and experience to eventually point me in the right direction. The last thing I want to do is jump the gun and have a deal go south before I have even gotten in the door. I really appreciate your response and I look forward to learning more on the topics you mentioned.

     My pleasure, don't hesitate to contact me!

  • Stuart UdisPro Member
    Attorney · Philadelphia · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    2y

    @Josh Haney Even if you you have the ability to raise capital, as you acknowledged you lack experience. Take down some smaller opportunties on your own, build relationships and learn the business. As others have suggested, you can simultaneously raise capital on behalf of other GP' and seek an inside look into their operation and gain additional experience this way. If you do go that route, be careful not to hold yourself out as the GP, or at least clearly explain the roll you played because there are quite a few GP's in hot water right now who at the minimum were intentionally vague about their roles creating the perception they have a track record that doesn't align with reality. Last piece of advice for when you are prepared to raise capital for your own projects is to be able to articulate clearly your competitive edge and what makes you different from other GP's who are raising capital for similar projects. It is a competitive market for LP equity and being able to differentiate yourself goes a long way to securing those commitments. 

  • Member since 2023 · 54 posts · 14 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Stuart Udis:

    @Josh Haney Even if you you have the ability to raise capital, as you acknowledged you lack experience. Take down some smaller opportunties on your own, build relationships and learn the business. As others have suggested, you can simultaneously raise capital on behalf of other GP' and seek an inside look into their operation and gain additional experience this way. If you do go that route, be careful not to hold yourself out as the GP, or at least clearly explain the roll you played because there are quite a few GP's in hot water right now who at the minimum were intentionally vague about their roles creating the perception they have a track record that doesn't align with reality. Last piece of advice for when you are prepared to raise capital for your own projects is to be able to articulate clearly your competitive edge and what makes you different from other GP's who are raising capital for similar projects. It is a competitive market for LP equity and being able to differentiate yourself goes a long way to securing those commitments. 


    That makes sense, I feel like I have seen alot of heat around the sector between GPs and LPs so that is great knowledge to know to avoid that in the future. Thanks Stuart
  • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Josh Haney:
    Quote from @Chris Seveney:
    Quote from @Josh Haney:

    Hey everyone,

    I have been in the process of learning the commercial real estate game specifically with syndication and joint ventures in mind for the future. I have no deal experience and all of my knowledge comes from self-study and networking. Me and a partner have begun creating a rolodex of capital that we believe can be raised, but we are hesitant to even try without a being more comfortable in the space. We also realize we have a lack of credibility due to lack of deals that have been done. I am looking for any advice on where are next steps should be, and would specifically ask if there is anyone out there with experience in the space that would be willing to share their experiences and any tips/advice. I would love to hear both success and failures and hope to meet some people along the way. I have already met some very knwoledgeable and experienced investors and operators through BP, and was hoping to grow that list.

    Thanks ahead of time.


     Start with partnering with a more experienced sponsor. If you could add value by bringing in money for them, that is a great place to start. You do not need to get a ton of the upside in the deal, some money is better than nothing but you are doing it for experience. 


    Thanks Chris, that is what I am hoping to accomplish at this stage-finding a way to provide value to those with experience.

    Do you have any advice on the best place to find such connections even if it is just to learn?

    go to local REIA events and just network, see what people are doing and find ways to learn.

    7e investments53 Reviews
  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2019 · 52 posts · 15 votes
    2y

    Networking is a great start, Josh, but I've found even more success by diving directly into the world of CRE Syndication. Industry events, conferences, and online forums like SponsorNetwork can be a fantastic way for you to connect with experienced sponsors and investors.

    And don't be discouraged by a lack of prior deals. Nobody is born with experience.

    However, you should consider partnering on a smaller project with a seasoned sponsor to gain practical experience. This will build your credibility and track record.

    Also, be upfront about being new to deal execution, but don’t forget to showcase your knowledge of the industry. Speaking from experience, investors appreciate honesty and a solid plan.

    Remember, trust takes time. Focus on providing value and building genuine relationships, and you'll be well on your way.

  • Gino BarbaroPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · St Augustine, FL · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y

    @Josh Haney

    I would possibly purchase a smaller deal to get some type of proof of concept. I started out with a triplex and then ventured into larger multi families.

    You could also find sponsors/operators who have more experience, and partner with them. Before you place a dollar of capital, you need to make sure you have a solid business plan, and truly understand the multifamily space.

    Exciting times for you. Best of luck

    Gino

  • Investor · Carmel, IN · Member since 2024 · 55 posts · 22 votes
    2y

    @Josh Haney Congrats on your success thus far! Syndications require a an abundance of property/market due diligence along with compliance to SEC guidelines. As I'm sure you already know, speaking with an attorney who specializes in such ventures is a must to keep you out of an orange jumpsuit!

    Additionally, expertise and track record are vital to gain the trust of LP's. Partnering with an experienced individual in the space will help build that credibility that you are lacking. As for finding LP's, start out with family/friends who you trust to get the ball rolling/build your own credibility/experience.

    Many will look at our profile pictures and see young men who probably have little experience in the space, which is why I joined a company with a solid track record/decades of collective individual experience to learn more! 

    Best of luck!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.