Multi-Family and Apartment Investing

User Stats

Votes
Jalen Wilson
Votes |
HVAC Systems in multi-family

Jalen Wilson
Posted Mar 3 2024, 10:05

Hey everyone, I know having central air for rental properties over window units can make things a lot easier and beneficial. Would it be worth it to convert a multi-family from window units to HVAC?

Account Closed
Votes |
Replied Mar 3 2024, 13:11
Quote from @Jalen Wilson:

Hey everyone, I know having central air for rental properties over window units can make things a lot easier and beneficial. Would it be worth it to convert a multi-family from window units to HVAC?

Converting a multi-family property from window units to central HVAC can be a worthwhile investment. Central air conditioning offers numerous benefits, including increased energy efficiency, improved indoor air quality, and better overall comfort for tenants. Additionally, central HVAC systems typically require less maintenance and provide more consistent cooling throughout the property. This upgrade may also increase the property value and attract higher-quality tenants, ultimately leading to higher rental income. Overall, the long-term benefits of converting to central HVAC outweigh the upfront cost, making it a worthwhile investment for landlords.

User Stats

Votes
Jacob Sherman
Pro Member
#1 Rehabbing & House Flipping Contributor
  • 12 Penns Trail Suite 138 Newtown, PA 18940
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 Rehabbing & House Flipping Contributor
  • 12 Penns Trail Suite 138 Newtown, PA 18940
Replied Mar 4 2024, 17:22

can also do split systems which work fantastic 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Robert Rixer#2 Multi-Family and Apartment Investing Contributor
  • Investor
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
Robert Rixer#2 Multi-Family and Apartment Investing Contributor
  • Investor
  • Chicago, IL
Replied Mar 5 2024, 09:34

From my experience, since tenants typically pay electric, they would directly pay for powering the window units versus a central unit which the landlord would pay for. The market could build this in to pricing but I honestly don't see much data to clearly support that. Another consideration is if all the current window units are the same age or if they are a mix of new and old.

User Stats

Votes
Joshua Christensen
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Albuquerque, NM
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Albuquerque, NM
Replied Mar 5 2024, 09:55

A couple of things I'd consider...

1. ROI - what's the cost and will it improve your rents? Will it affect the ability to rent the units?

2. LA heat in the summer is fun.  Having centralized AC could be a big benefit to your tenant base which could improve rent.  

Make sure to do a good cost analysis and break even to see how long to recoup the cost.  

User Stats

Votes
Jalen Wilson
Votes |
Replied Mar 5 2024, 10:54
Quote from @Joshua Christensen:

1. ROI - what's the cost and will it improve your rents? Will it affect the ability to rent the units?

2. LA heat in the summer is fun.  Having centralized AC could be a big benefit to your tenant base which could improve rent.  

Make sure to do a good cost analysis and break even to see how long to recoup the cost.  

What if you use private money to pay for the HVAC systems and other rehab cost?

User Stats

Votes
Jalen Wilson
Votes |
Replied Mar 5 2024, 10:57
Quote from @Robert Rixer:

From my experience, since tenants typically pay electric, they would directly pay for powering the window units versus a central unit which the landlord would pay for. The market could build this in to pricing but I honestly don't see much data to clearly support that. Another consideration is if all the current window units are the same age or if they are a mix of new and old.

What if you use private money to pay for the HVAC systems and other renovations to the property?

User Stats

Votes
Jay Thomas
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
Replied Mar 5 2024, 11:19

Sure thing! Having central air conditioning (HVAC) is a big plus for rental properties, especially in Shreveport where it gets pretty warm. Switching from window units to central HVAC can bring some good things, like the chance to charge higher rents, attract more tenants, make tenants happier, and increase your property's overall value. But before you jump in, think about the upfront costs, like buying and installing the system and maybe making changes to ducts. Make sure to do the math to see if the investment is worth it by considering how much more rent you could charge and any energy savings. It's also smart to get advice from an expert to check if your property is a good fit for central HVAC. While it sounds great, understanding the costs and making sure your property is ready for this upgrade is important to make the most of the benefits.

User Stats

Votes
Fred Chalmers
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Mar 5 2024, 11:24
It is always recommended to do a cost benefit analysis before doing a project to determine the feasibility.
Whether using private money or not the cost benefit has to be addressed.
It will affect investment and equity when measuring profit.

User Stats

Votes
Joshua Christensen
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Albuquerque, NM
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Albuquerque, NM
Replied Mar 5 2024, 12:26
Quote from @Jalen Wilson:
Quote from @Joshua Christensen:

What if you use private money to pay for the HVAC systems and other rehab cost?

Same applies.  Make sure it is something your tenants want and will pay extra for.  What's the return on your investment including the Private money costs.