Ceiling Water Staining & Drywall Sag Concerns

Ceiling Water Staining & Drywall Sag Concerns

San Diego · Member since 2021 · 24 posts · 5 votes

I just finished up a home inspection on a 4-plex in San Diego.  There were a number of broken window seals and improper flashing installed on a lot of the windows, as well as a couple of the 2 story decks.  The improper flashing on the decks seems to be causing some of the ceiling stains running across the first story ceiling/walls where the deck attaches to the house.

There also looks to be a possible past dishwasher that leaked from upstairs, but all the appliances have now been removed from the property.

It's been raining a lot here in San Diego, much more than usual, and the property has been vacant I know for at least 1 year.  I know the property has likely been neglected for at least 2 years before that as well. I hear the past owner used to take care of the property, until he got hooked on drugs.

There were a few areas noted on some of the ceilings of water staining and dry wall sag...mainly in the first floor units. There were other areas that looked like they were recently painted on the ceiling. I have to assume to try and hide some water stains.

Without being able to see behind the walls, my mind starts to think of potential wood rot, fungus, and mold growing.  Although the inspector did not notice any mold in view, I'm worried about what's behind the walls/ceilings.

I plan to have my GC walk the unit next week. 

QUESTIONS:

1. Since I can't rip down the walls, what are somethings I can possibly do to burn down risk of discovering a major disaster on my hands if I decide to move forward with this property?

2. Is there anything specific I should ask my GC, other than pointing out the areas?

The property is looking less appealing, but I really like the location. I want to get an idea if my concerns are warranted, or if I'm making a bigger issue than it really is.

0Reply
31 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Scottsdale Austin Tuktoyaktuk · Member since 2021 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
3y
Quote from @Mike Hsiao:

I just finished up a home inspection on a 4-plex in San Diego.  There were a number of broken window seals and improper flashing installed on a lot of the windows, as well as a couple of the 2 story decks.  The improper flashing on the decks seems to be causing some of the ceiling stains running across the first story ceiling/walls where the deck attaches to the house.

There also looks to be a possible past dishwasher that leaked from upstairs, but all the appliances have now been removed from the property.

It's been raining a lot here in San Diego, much more than usual, and the property has been vacant I know for at least 1 year.  I know the property has likely been neglected for at least 2 years before that as well. I hear the past owner used to take care of the property, until he got hooked on drugs.

There were a few areas noted on some of the ceilings of water staining and dry wall sag...mainly in the first floor units. There were other areas that looked like they were recently painted on the ceiling. I have to assume to try and hide some water stains.

Without being able to see behind the walls, my mind starts to think of potential wood rot, fungus, and mold growing.  Although the inspector did not notice any mold in view, I'm worried about what's behind the walls/ceilings.

I plan to have my GC walk the unit next week. 

QUESTIONS:

1. Since I can't rip down the walls, what are somethings I can possibly do to burn down risk of discovering a major disaster on my hands if I decide to move forward with this property?

2. Is there anything specific I should ask my GC, other than pointing out the areas?

The property is looking less appealing, but I really like the location. I want to get an idea if my concerns are warranted, or if I'm making a bigger issue than it really is.

I bought a lot of properties in Seattle . . . where it rains . . . occasionally ;-)

I bought preforeclosures. The first thing I would always do is replace the roof. Just had to assume it needed it. So, climb into the attic and look for stains in the plywood above your head. Also, if you see daylight through a seam that’s a problem too.

Then you want to look at bathroom sinks & toilet, kitchen sinks and laundry room valves. If valves are rusty next to the wall, there is probably a problem behind the walls. Mold has a distinctive smell. Take a screw driver and poke around where you think the sheetrock may be soft, especially next to the tub and various valves. Don’t force a hole, but if the screw driver goes into the wall easily you have a problem.

Water will wick up a wall if it’s sheet rock. If you open a wall in a bathroom, expect problems. Sometimes they are easy to fix, other times it’s a major endeavor. You can’t know until you see.

Sometimes people put a nail or screw into the wall and hit a pipe, causing a slow leak. Or, a pipe joint can fail over time.

Pro tip: I cut a 12 inch by 12 inch hole with a sheetrock handsaw in the bedroom directly behind the tub. It’s easier to see what is going on in the bathroom wall and easier to fix than ripping the bathroom apart. Sometimes I'm happily surprised there is no water damage.

Keep in mind that people on drugs are so spaced out they don’t realize they forgot to turn off the faucet or the toilet is stuck and overflowing.

And if you suspect a major problem occurred, contact the insurance company to find out is claim has been filed for damages.

Your GC may have a water sensor, if not, he should pick one up.

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Scottsdale Austin Tuktoyaktuk · Member since 2021 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Mike Hsiao:

    I just finished up a home inspection on a 4-plex in San Diego.  There were a number of broken window seals and improper flashing installed on a lot of the windows, as well as a couple of the 2 story decks.  The improper flashing on the decks seems to be causing some of the ceiling stains running across the first story ceiling/walls where the deck attaches to the house.

    There also looks to be a possible past dishwasher that leaked from upstairs, but all the appliances have now been removed from the property.

    It's been raining a lot here in San Diego, much more than usual, and the property has been vacant I know for at least 1 year.  I know the property has likely been neglected for at least 2 years before that as well. I hear the past owner used to take care of the property, until he got hooked on drugs.

    There were a few areas noted on some of the ceilings of water staining and dry wall sag...mainly in the first floor units. There were other areas that looked like they were recently painted on the ceiling. I have to assume to try and hide some water stains.

    Without being able to see behind the walls, my mind starts to think of potential wood rot, fungus, and mold growing.  Although the inspector did not notice any mold in view, I'm worried about what's behind the walls/ceilings.

    I plan to have my GC walk the unit next week. 

    QUESTIONS:

    1. Since I can't rip down the walls, what are somethings I can possibly do to burn down risk of discovering a major disaster on my hands if I decide to move forward with this property?

    2. Is there anything specific I should ask my GC, other than pointing out the areas?

    The property is looking less appealing, but I really like the location. I want to get an idea if my concerns are warranted, or if I'm making a bigger issue than it really is.

    I bought a lot of properties in Seattle . . . where it rains . . . occasionally ;-)

    I bought preforeclosures. The first thing I would always do is replace the roof. Just had to assume it needed it. So, climb into the attic and look for stains in the plywood above your head. Also, if you see daylight through a seam that’s a problem too.

    Then you want to look at bathroom sinks & toilet, kitchen sinks and laundry room valves. If valves are rusty next to the wall, there is probably a problem behind the walls. Mold has a distinctive smell. Take a screw driver and poke around where you think the sheetrock may be soft, especially next to the tub and various valves. Don’t force a hole, but if the screw driver goes into the wall easily you have a problem.

    Water will wick up a wall if it’s sheet rock. If you open a wall in a bathroom, expect problems. Sometimes they are easy to fix, other times it’s a major endeavor. You can’t know until you see.

    Sometimes people put a nail or screw into the wall and hit a pipe, causing a slow leak. Or, a pipe joint can fail over time.

    Pro tip: I cut a 12 inch by 12 inch hole with a sheetrock handsaw in the bedroom directly behind the tub. It’s easier to see what is going on in the bathroom wall and easier to fix than ripping the bathroom apart. Sometimes I'm happily surprised there is no water damage.

    Keep in mind that people on drugs are so spaced out they don’t realize they forgot to turn off the faucet or the toilet is stuck and overflowing.

    And if you suspect a major problem occurred, contact the insurance company to find out is claim has been filed for damages.

    Your GC may have a water sensor, if not, he should pick one up.

  • San Diego · Member since 2021 · 24 posts · 5 votes
    3y

    @Account Closed thank you very much, great inputs and tips!!

  • Dan H.Pro Member
    Investor · Poway, CA · Member since 2015 · 7k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Mike Hsiao:

    I just finished up a home inspection on a 4-plex in San Diego.  There were a number of broken window seals and improper flashing installed on a lot of the windows, as well as a couple of the 2 story decks.  The improper flashing on the decks seems to be causing some of the ceiling stains running across the first story ceiling/walls where the deck attaches to the house.

    There also looks to be a possible past dishwasher that leaked from upstairs, but all the appliances have now been removed from the property.

    It's been raining a lot here in San Diego, much more than usual, and the property has been vacant I know for at least 1 year.  I know the property has likely been neglected for at least 2 years before that as well. I hear the past owner used to take care of the property, until he got hooked on drugs.

    There were a few areas noted on some of the ceilings of water staining and dry wall sag...mainly in the first floor units. There were other areas that looked like they were recently painted on the ceiling. I have to assume to try and hide some water stains.

    Without being able to see behind the walls, my mind starts to think of potential wood rot, fungus, and mold growing.  Although the inspector did not notice any mold in view, I'm worried about what's behind the walls/ceilings.

    I plan to have my GC walk the unit next week. 

    QUESTIONS:

    1. Since I can't rip down the walls, what are somethings I can possibly do to burn down risk of discovering a major disaster on my hands if I decide to move forward with this property?

    2. Is there anything specific I should ask my GC, other than pointing out the areas?

    The property is looking less appealing, but I really like the location. I want to get an idea if my concerns are warranted, or if I'm making a bigger issue than it really is.


    leaking seals, bad roof, pipe joints failed, etc are all items that happen with age and do not bother me.

    However, improper flashings installed is a concern.  It brings into question all of the construction.  You have no idea what was constructed/repaired behind the walls.  Open electrical splices.  undersized romax for the associated circuit breaker.  Bad plumbing including the venting.  My concern is that there is a lot of risk for the unknowns.

    Does this imply that I would avoid the purchase?  Not necesarily.  The price would have to reflect the risk.  A quad in a good area in San Diego is a rare find.  If it is priced correctly for the associated risk, this could be a good investment.

    Good luck

  • San Diego · Member since 2021 · 24 posts · 5 votes
    3y

    @Dan H. thanks for your inputs. I also see a number of freshly painted patches, which concerns me about what they may be potentially trying to hide. From what the inspector (Jason Havel) could see and test, he thought the plumbing overall was OK. Sewer scope came back OK. It was updated with ABS.   Other than some GFCI's needed, and recommended upsizing each unit to handle 100A from 55A, he thought it looked it OK.  Jason's main concern was the need to implement things to prevent water future intrusion (flashing all over, sealing, things to close gaps in the wood siding, etc).   Roof looked to have had some leaks in the past, but they've been patched.   

    Overall I will see what a couple of my GC's think tomorrow, and I will need to reduce the the purchase price and likely will ask for a seller credit on closing costs

  • Dan H.Pro Member
    Investor · Poway, CA · Member since 2015 · 7k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Mike Hsiao:

    @Dan H. thanks for your inputs. I also see a number of freshly painted patches, which concerns me about what they may be potentially trying to hide. From what the inspector (Jason Havel) could see and test, he thought the plumbing overall was OK. Sewer scope came back OK. It was updated with ABS.   Other than some GFCI's needed, and recommended upsizing each unit to handle 100A from 55A, he thought it looked it OK.  Jason's main concern was the need to implement things to prevent water future intrusion (flashing all over, sealing, things to close gaps in the wood siding, etc).   Roof looked to have had some leaks in the past, but they've been patched.   

    Overall I will see what a couple of my GC's think tomorrow, and I will need to reduce the the purchase price and likely will ask for a seller credit on closing costs


     I use Jason, he is very thorough. His reports can make decent properties seem like they are in terrible shape. 

    I have used his inspection reports to get concessions and price cuts.  One seller told me she wish her inspector when she purchased was as thorough as Jason. 

    My point is I have confidence that you got a thorough inspection and that he would recommend bringing in experts in any areas he has concerns and not the expertise to give qualified evaluation. 

    Good luck

  • Real Estate Agent · San Diego, CA · Member since 2014 · 338 posts · 176 votes
    3y

    There could be things hiding behind the walls and ceilings of any home you purchase. Fixing the window seals and improper flashing do not sound like major red flags. Inspectors have several methods to see if the water staining is recent or not. Sounds like there is water damage to some areas of the home so plan on addressing those areas after the purchase. If you're still concerned about microbial growth you could test for mold. Discuss you concerns with your inspector and realtor to see if they are warranted.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.