Savannah, GA · Member since 2018 · 8 posts · 0 votes
I bought and paid for a house on 12/3/19. I was told by the auctioneer that I would receive the deed inside 30 days. I go the refund for the overage I paid on the day on day 20. I have been in touch with the law firm, they said it could take up to 45 days.
I am now on day 40 and getting nervous and frustrated. I am working on the assumption that the house isn't mine until I have the deed, and if it for some reason the foreclosure can't be completed I only get the money back that paid at the auction. So I can't really get moving on this project.
Is there a maximum time it can take to get the deed ? If I don't get it after 45 days what should I do, get a lawyer on my side ? Am I right to not spend any money on rehab until I get the deed ?
I bought and paid for a house on 12/3/19. I was told by the auctioneer that I would receive the deed inside 30 days. I go the refund for the overage I paid on the day on day 20. I have been in touch with the law firm, they said it could take up to 45 days.
I am now on day 40 and getting nervous and frustrated. I am working on the assumption that the house isn't mine until I have the deed, and if it for some reason the foreclosure can't be completed I only get the money back that paid at the auction. So I can't really get moving on this project.
Is there a maximum time it can take to get the deed ? If I don't get it after 45 days what should I do, get a lawyer on my side ? Am I right to not spend any money on rehab until I get the deed ?
Depending on the county, I've seen as quick as a week or less, to more than 3 months. Depends on how backed up they are, and their turnaround process. You can call the Clerk of Court or Sheriff's office (depending on who conducted the sale) and get an update from them. There is no right of redemption in GA, so small chance of the foreclosure not completing unless the borrower raised an issue with the foreclosure action if done improperly. You should have received a certificate of sale, but I would wait to receive the deed before spending any money.
I bought and paid for a house on 12/3/19. I was told by the auctioneer that I would receive the deed inside 30 days. I go the refund for the overage I paid on the day on day 20. I have been in touch with the law firm, they said it could take up to 45 days.
I am now on day 40 and getting nervous and frustrated. I am working on the assumption that the house isn't mine until I have the deed, and if it for some reason the foreclosure can't be completed I only get the money back that paid at the auction. So I can't really get moving on this project.
Is there a maximum time it can take to get the deed ? If I don't get it after 45 days what should I do, get a lawyer on my side ? Am I right to not spend any money on rehab until I get the deed ?
Depending on the county, I've seen as quick as a week or less, to more than 3 months. Depends on how backed up they are, and their turnaround process. You can call the Clerk of Court or Sheriff's office (depending on who conducted the sale) and get an update from them. There is no right of redemption in GA, so small chance of the foreclosure not completing unless the borrower raised an issue with the foreclosure action if done improperly. You should have received a certificate of sale, but I would wait to receive the deed before spending any money.
Savannah, GA · Member since 2018 · 8 posts · 0 votes
6y
Thanks for the reply, I think in my case the hold up is at the law office not the county, I think the lawyer creates the deed, once it becomes signed and notarized it goes to the county to be recorded. Either of these processes can take time.
Does the law firm have a legal time limit to complete the foreclosure process or is it essentially open ended ?
Lender · Ladera Ranch, CA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
6y
@Ben Francis As frustrating as it is, you just have to wait in situations like this. If you can ride that fine line of "persistent" without being "obnoxious," call the attorneys office to get updates. Be very nice, it might move things along. If you come across as rude, you might slow things down.
Not sure about a legal time limit but I bet they know more about it and how to get around it, if necessary, than you do....
Savannah, GA · Member since 2018 · 8 posts · 0 votes
6y
Breaking news !!! I have an emailed copy of the executed deed from the law firm, it has been uploaded for e-recording, so I guess it's not technically recorded yet. Do I have to wait for the recording or am I home and dry ? Thanks !!
Lender · Ladera Ranch, CA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
6y
@Ben Francis Congrats! E-recording should only take a day or two. I'd get started on the planning and getting bids phase but I would still hold off until the Deed was recorded before signing the final contracts and having your guys break ground. That's just my opinion......
Savannah, GA · Member since 2018 · 8 posts · 0 votes
6y
Thanks, amazingly enough e recording took less than 2 hours ! It all suddenly happened very fast on day 50 after the auction. I am off to the races. Thank you !