Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Commercial Real Estate Investing
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
Are you investing in self storage?

Nathan Gesner
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorPosted

I'm surprised there's not a category for self storage. In my opinion, it's as lucrative as mobile home parks and easier to come by.

I would love to connect with others that are investing in self storage facilities.

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
Paul Moore
Pro Member
  • Commercial Real Estate Fund Manager
  • Lynchburg, VA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Commercial Real Estate Fund Manager
  • Lynchburg, VA
Replied

Hi @Aly W.. Thanks for reaching out!  My new book is out and available at www.Biggerpockets.com/storage. I’m excited to connect with everyone who wants to discuss this topic and I will be doing a free call most Wednesdays at noon to discuss self storage and other commercial real estate investing topics. You can PM me to get the free conference line number

User Stats

Votes
Mary Morris
  • Mission Viejo, CA
Votes |
  • Mission Viejo, CA
Replied

I am interested in learning more about storage units.  Just listened to the podcast with Paul Moore. I am a real estate agent in southern California so I understand the rental market for SFRs and condos but nothing about self storage.  Any suggestions on where to learn about this niche?

CV3 Financial logo
CV3 Financial
|
Sponsored
Fix & Flip | DSCR | Construction Loans Up to 90% LTV - Up to 80% Cash Out - No Income Verification - No Seasoning Requirements

User Stats

Votes
Taylor L.
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • RVA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • RVA
Replied
Originally posted by @Mary Morris:

I am interested in learning more about storage units.  Just listened to the podcast with Paul Moore. I am a real estate agent in southern California so I understand the rental market for SFRs and condos but nothing about self storage.  Any suggestions on where to learn about this niche?

@Michael Wagner's Storage Rebellion group and AJ Osborne's Self Storage Book and podcast will get you going!

User Stats

Votes
Replied
Quote from @Nathan Gesner:

I found it by calling storage facilities and asking if they were interested in selling. That's it. No magic formula, no special script. I haven't read any books or even online blogs. I do have the benefit of experience in real estate, own 30 rentals, and manage 200 storage units so I know the business fairly well and am confident in my ability to figure things out on my own.

Nathan if you don't mind me asking. How did you find their numbers? Did you just call the main line? I've tried this and the person working there did not divulge info. 

User Stats

Votes
Aly W.
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Middletown, NJ
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Middletown, NJ
Replied

I just came back from a trip to Brevard County, FL. My realtor and I literally drove around and found at least 8 facilities in a 10 mile area....all were at capacity with waiting lists, and none were interested in selling. Several were mom and pops, and more than one looked like a dump site. It didn't matter. They know what they've got and have been approached many times. For those who are selling, what they're asking may not be viable for a buyer. My realtor and I will keep looking this way, just to say hello, talk for a bit, leave our contact info and a little gift :)

My husband and I are residential rental owners, and I get those calls/letters/texts/emails all the time.

User Stats

Votes
Replied
Quote from @Account Closed:

Investing in self storage is indeed lucrative and has been growing in popularity. Effective self storage management is key to maximizing returns and simplifying operations. Software solutions like Kinnovis and Easy Storage Solutions offer features such as unit rentals, payment processing, and record-keeping. Storeganise and Self Storage Manager are also excellent options, providing flexibility and robust management tools. These systems help streamline operations, enhance customer service, and improve overall efficiency, making self storage management more manageable and profitable. Connecting with other investors can provide insights into best practices and emerging trends in the industry.

Thank you promotional AI bot.  🙄