Input needed on payout and/or split with private lender/partner.

Input needed on payout and/or split with private lender/partner.

Member since 2018 · 1 post · 0 votes

I am a licensed real estate agent with 20+ years experience in real estate sales, marketing and home construction. I have a long-time client who I've done a number of transactions with as their broker that is interested in providing funds for flips. I would source the property, work-up the pro-forma and do a preliminary analysis. They would review the opportunity and have the final decision. I'm not in the position to fund these now, don't want the leverage, and value their knowledge and experience as investors. 

They are experienced investors and we have a very good, long-term working relationship. They are very knowledgable about the market, I value their input, and they're input would help mitigate the underwriting risk on an opportunity. They would fund 100% of the acquisition and improvement costs with a line of credit on investment properties that are paid off. The interest rate on this from their lender will be in the 5% to 6% range. I'll make money on both the buy and sell side as the broker. I'd be responsible for all of the project management. Title would be in their name and they'd cut the checks on all expenses. The expected time from closing on the purchase to closing on the sale is six months, perhaps 12 months in extenuating circumstances. After closing costs are paid, funds would go to payoff the line of credit first. What's fair compensation for my work sourcing the property, designing and selecting the improvements, working up the pro forma and budget, and managing the work to completion? What's fair compensation to the investor/partner for helping assess/underwrite the project, provide 100% of the funding, and paying the bills?

0Reply
24 views

Most Popular Reply

Joel OwensBusiness Member
Moderator
Real Estate Broker · Canton, GA · Member since 2010 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
7y

Commission is separate. That is for helping them buy the property and then selling it.

The other items they want you to do are various different scopes of work.

You have to be careful they are not trying to do add on items and get freebies to take advantage. The structure has to be equitable to both parties and both feel good about it.

In 6 to 12 months how much time would it take up and how many closing could you do for regular sales in that time span. Example if I could make 500k in transactions for commission in 1 year but a flip that took a year and a bunch of time made me 200k am I really getting ahead? 

You have to analyze time and return for your individual situation and see what works.

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 969 votes
    7y

    Here are a few options:

    1. Profit split: split the remaining profits between you and the investor. I'd say based on what you said, I would do a 70/30 split (70% to them, 30% to you)
    2. Fees: they get all of the profit but various fees are paid out to you. For example, an acquisition fee for your pre-close responsibilities (2% of the project costs paid at close) and a disposition fee for your close to close responsibilities (2% of the sales price)
    3. Combination of 1 and 2: You can split the profits and also collect the fees
  • Joel OwensBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Canton, GA · Member since 2010 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    7y

    Commission is separate. That is for helping them buy the property and then selling it.

    The other items they want you to do are various different scopes of work.

    You have to be careful they are not trying to do add on items and get freebies to take advantage. The structure has to be equitable to both parties and both feel good about it.

    In 6 to 12 months how much time would it take up and how many closing could you do for regular sales in that time span. Example if I could make 500k in transactions for commission in 1 year but a flip that took a year and a bunch of time made me 200k am I really getting ahead? 

    You have to analyze time and return for your individual situation and see what works.

  • Ronald RohdePro Member
    Attorney · Dallas, TX · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    Roughly calculate your hourly comp rate for last year, estimate hours per project tasks, a rough calculation for getting to your "number" then decide how much leverage you have to ask for it as guaranteed fees vs. risk as profit sharing contingency, etc.

  • Ivan BarrattBusiness Member
    Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2015 · 764 posts · 953 votes
    7y

    @Alex Saloutos I would strongly consider getting educated on private money borrowing and eventually doing the deals yourself. When I first got started I used this tactic with great success in that all upside value created was mine alone. My lenders were happy to loan me funds for deals on a negotiated interest rate.

    I would gobble up as much info as I could on creative real estate financing. It will serve you well.  Do a couple deals with your friends (who sound like they're ready to gouge you) and then get out of your comfort zone and do it yourself!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.