Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
Commercial Real Estate Investing
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Kevin Wattenbarger
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Panama City, FL
Votes |
Real Estate Investment Resume /Credibility Packet

Kevin Wattenbarger
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Panama City, FL
Posted Jul 17 2018, 19:50

BP:

After hearing on a couple podcast where the guest has spoken about real estate investment resumes and credibility packets, I am wondering if anyone would be willing to share one they've created? I am not new to REI and have a decent sized portfolio but am looking to grow and get into bigger deals. I am at a point where I have reached a ceiling with my primary lender and need to find alternative lenders to work with. My goal is to make a good impression and be easy to say yes to. I plan to work with a graphic designer to create the majority of the packet and be able to insert private information, PFS, current rent rolls, credit reports, etc. One thought process was to basically take a PFS statement and put it to pictures and key metric data with the properties I own. Any other ideas on must haves? Outside of potential lenders, I could also see it being used with potential partners and possibly sellers to establish credibility. I am working on an outline to provide to the graphic designer and need some help focusing in on the information and style to present to accomplish my main objectives with the packet.

User Stats

Votes
Brian Burke
Pro Member
#1 Multi-Family and Apartment Investing Contributor
  • Investor
  • Santa Rosa, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 Multi-Family and Apartment Investing Contributor
  • Investor
  • Santa Rosa, CA
Replied Jul 17 2018, 20:07

@Kevin Wattenbarger the three most important things to include would be (in order of importance):  1.  Track record. 2.  Track record. And 3.  Track record. 

I’d leave out the PFS and the credit report. These packages can be easily emailed or handed around and you’ll have no control over whose lap it falls in. So leave the sensitive stuff for later (if ever—it’s not customary to provide that stuff in equity transactions and your debt folks are going to want current stuff or to run it themselves).

Since you have experience, flaunt it. Show pictures of the deals you’ve done and describe what you did, like “bought for $X, spent $X fixing it up and sold for $X” or “spent $X and increased rents by $X”. If you had investors, what return did they get?  Before and after pics are nice.  Include how long you have been doing whatever you are doing, how many deals you’ve done, etc. 

Then describe your plan, the type of properties you’ll be buying and what you are going to do and how you are structuring it. If you have sample deals with a financial analysis, put it in there. 

And don’t forget your track record. LOL

User Stats

Votes
Ned Carey
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Baltimore, MD
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Baltimore, MD
ModeratorReplied Jul 17 2018, 20:17

@Kevin Wattenbarger I can't really add much to what @Brian Burke said. The one thing I would add is; if you are going to a bank then that is where you would add financial statements. A graph of growth or profitability gives a visual that some people may find easier to understand.

BiggerPockets logo
Network With Property Managers
|
BiggerPockets
Partnering with a property manager before you buy will boost your bottom line. Match and mingle with top property managers now!

User Stats

Votes
Priyanshu Adathakkar
  • Realtor
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Jul 17 2018, 20:23

If you are an experienced investor with good credit and if you are looking at a good deal, you do not need any of this crap! All you need is a good agent (licensed) in your area who can speak with your lender about the deal! Just my opinion, but people peddling advice on a podcast and in seminars have no clue about how the real industry works. I have a lot of people come to me after having gone through one of these "enlightenment" sessions/ training and all I have to say to them is "good luck" and here is a number of somebody who will sell you down the river in the guise of helping you!   

User Stats

Votes
Kevin Wattenbarger
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Panama City, FL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Panama City, FL
Replied Jul 17 2018, 20:44

Thank you @Brian Burke and @NedCarey. I will take these comments and start focusing in on the display. @Priyanshu Adathakkar I understand where you're coming from but I don't think that standing out is "crap." I am an experienced CRE agent and can speak the language. I am not trying to reinvent the wheel and looking for a format. I am often amazed on larger deals when buyers send in cash offers with nothing more than an LOI or contract offer. No resume. No proof of funds. Just trust me? Many sophisticated Sellers will want to try and understand which Buyer possesses the highest probability to close and materials like this can certainly assist.

User Stats

Votes
Priyanshu Adathakkar
  • Realtor
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Jul 17 2018, 21:05

@Kevin Wattenbarger I did see you are a Broker and was surprised to see the post. Let me clarify 1) I, for example, would do my due diligence first before making an offer on behalf of a buyer if I am not satisfied with the clients ability to close a deal, I'll not make the offer. 2) If in doubt, I would make an offer with a substantial amount in earnest money that goes hard on day one. 3) Most experienced CRE agents here in Columbus follow this regime if you ask me for any of the crap that the seller may require to make my client stand out in seller's mind would be an insult!

I had a seller send me a questionnaire asking for information on what kind of improvements the buyer would do on the property after he buys it and how much he was willing to spend!!! My response was that he planned to donate it to the fire department for their fire drill and it would be burnt down! I also sent him a counter questionnaire asking him how he planned to spend the money he received from the sale. I think you get the point. 

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jul 18 2018, 08:16

Kevin I agree with much of what Brian initially added. I work on the lending side of the business so I see borrower resumes all the time. A lender wants to see first and foremost that you have a good dealw orthy of financing. The second thing they will want to know if whether you have the ability to execute the plan and do what you say you are going to do. Part of your ability to excute includes your personal financials but I would wait until you are further along to provide that level of detail. Perhaps you can just make a general statement of possessing a net worth greater than X. Initially a lender wants to know what deals you have completed and the result. I think the delas are more important than the result initially though. They will dig into the details after you peak their interest. Just make sure your resume comes across as very professional and credible. You would be surprised but I have read resumes with mispellings, poor grammer, etc.

I would recommend generating a comprehensive global cash flow spreadsheet that includes all of your RE owned. Each property should include details such as debt maturity dates, debt service, NOI, net cash flow to service debt, value, occupancy, etc. This level of detail will get the lender more comfortable that you are being transparent, the property you own is performning and there isn't an event looming which could harm your personal financial status or create a stress. Again don't provide this up front but have it ready for the lender. You may even tell teh lender verbally that such a cash flow schedule is available for their review.

User Stats

Votes
Ronald Rohde
Pro Member
#3 Commercial Real Estate Investing Contributor
  • Attorney
  • Dallas, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
#3 Commercial Real Estate Investing Contributor
  • Attorney
  • Dallas, TX
Replied Jul 18 2018, 08:31
Originally posted by @Kevin Wattenbarger:

BP:

After hearing on a couple podcast where the guest has spoken about real estate investment resumes and credibility packets, I am wondering if anyone would be willing to share one they've created? I am not new to REI and have a decent sized portfolio but am looking to grow and get into bigger deals. I am at a point where I have reached a ceiling with my primary lender and need to find alternative lenders to work with. My goal is to make a good impression and be easy to say yes to. I plan to work with a graphic designer to create the majority of the packet and be able to insert private information, PFS, current rent rolls, credit reports, etc. One thought process was to basically take a PFS statement and put it to pictures and key metric data with the properties I own. Any other ideas on must haves? Outside of potential lenders, I could also see it being used with potential partners and possibly sellers to establish credibility. I am working on an outline to provide to the graphic designer and need some help focusing in on the information and style to present to accomplish my main objectives with the packet.

You're on the right track. Just stick to about 10 pages of PDF/PPT.

Summarize total deal size, units, locations, etc. Its high level, but just meant to persuade the next step of due diligence.

I disagree with the Columbus broker, so take it for what its worth.

User Stats

Votes
Jake Charles
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Bath, ME
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Bath, ME
Replied Aug 3 2018, 06:10

Hi @Kevin Wattenbarger

Thanks for asking this question. I was just about to post the same question!

But before we get into the argument of what should/shouldn't be in the packet (or if you need one at all) does anyone have a service, website, platform they have used with good results, and would recommend ? I would love to just pay a service to create one for me! And spend my time working on the things I'm good at.

• I think they ARE valuable to have, especially if you're looking to raise private money   
  • We live in a digital world now and anything you can do to set yourself apart can't hurt!
  • I could put all this info into an excel spread sheet, but watch as peoples eyes gloss over. Why not have something visually pleasing?
  • Huge companies use packets like this to attract investors, so why not model the big guys? I mean they're big for a reason, they did something right!

User Stats

Votes
Derek P.
  • Investor
  • White River Junction, VT
Votes |
  • Investor
  • White River Junction, VT
Replied Apr 3 2019, 14:12

Check out a website/app called Canva. It’s pretty easy to create visiually appealing packets on there.

User Stats

Votes
Harold Simms
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Philadelphia, PA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Philadelphia, PA
Replied Jan 6 2022, 09:23

From my research the template seems to be a packet including: 

• Developer Credentials 
  • Personal Statement (Available Upon Request) 
  • List of RE Owned 
  • Current Property packet with Pro-Forma, Rent Roll, Comps, Budget, Projected Returns - similar to an OM on most CRE packets.

This was a good guide,

Commercial real estate finance: A basic guide for an effective loan request package - Buffalo Business First (bizjournals.com)

Commercial real estate finance: A basic guide for an effective loan request package - Buffalo Business First (bizjournals.com)

User Stats

Votes
Edgard Leite
  • Investor
  • Greencastle, PA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Greencastle, PA
Replied Jun 4 2024, 07:08

@Kevin Wattenbarger, I know this post is old, but I'm currently trying to put something like this together for an agency debt application. Did you end up finding a good template or putting something together that you could share?

Thank you for the help.