Small town main street tenants

Small town main street tenants

Investor · St. Thomas, Ontario · Member since 2015 · 692 posts · 312 votes

TL;DR - Commercial newbie needs to know how to effectively lease up a few shops in a tiny town. 

I have found myself suddenly to be a commercial property owner. Besides some residential units, my new building has 3 commercial spaces. The building is a Main St. address on a great corner of a tiny rural town. A classic "small town Main St", exactly how you'd picture it. The three commercial spaces face the Main st and the entrances to the residential are off the side street.

I am not concerned with filling up the residential spaces. 

Can anybody recommend a strategy for leasing up the commercial spaces? Here is my strategy so far:

SWOT analysis

Strength - traffic traffic and more traffic:

1. Main st of a small town that is in between where people work and where people live. More cars pass through here each day than the population of the town, I think. 

2. The side street that I am on the corner of has the only liquor store in town a couple hundred yards up. 

3. I am located right between the Tim Hortons (coffee shop/Canadian icon) and the major grocers.

4. I am right next door to a national bank, one of only two in the town.

5. Across the street from the very busy clothing store.

Weakness - Small town, small population. 

1. The population is very small. The entire county is only 5300 people, so I'm guessing 2000 in this town. However, the county only has other small towns, so all of the farmers and people from other towns are used to travelling for shopping.

2. Low income town. 

Opportunity - There are definitely gaps in available stores/services

1. Aside from an abundance of pizza, lawyers, mortgages and insurance, there is no more than 1 of anything and 0 of many necessities. Examples include a sports store (in a hockey/baseball town), a gym, a deli and a dozen others. 

2. It sounds like every business that closes up shop in this town is not from failing, but rather from the owner retiring. This is leaving clear gaps.

3. I have a plan to discover the town's real needs - see below.

Threats - Not much

1. The very popular clothing store is closing after 100 years of business because the owners are retiring. They may sell the building vacant, but they have offered the potential buyer complete training in their suppliers and methods of running the shop so it may stay the same.

3. There is one other building with two storefronts that are vacant. This is not listed on MLS "for lease", the price is not aggressive and there is no apparent marketing effort besides a sign in the window.

So far my tactic has been to discover the town's needs. I have walked the main street and made a map of every business in the downtown and I will produce a cross reference of "business type" to identify what is over/under-served. I have also chatted with a few locals and another business owner. I am going to post a survey on the town's communal Facebook group to ask "When you go to another town to buy something, what are you going to buy?". I am also meeting with the Director of Economic Development, Mayor, Deputy Mayor and CAO of the town next week to discuss a "Resident Needs Survey" they recently completed for the county - hopefully it is town-specific. 

Once I have a list of the needs, I will glue my phone to my ear and call every single business owner in those categories within 50 miles and try to sell them on the idea of leasing my space.

As far as the building is concerned, 2 out of 3 com units are tenant-ready, 600sqft each. The larger unit is 1300-ish square feet and needs very minor fix-up (bathroom and a very minor leak in a 2-year old warrantied flat roof). The larger residential unit just needs a carpet clean, possibly a quick paint, possibly some new windows (would improve the look of the front of the building) and a new tile shower surround. The other units require from a little to a lot of work. I should be able to break-even on the building with any 2 of 7 units rented. It also has a detached 2-bay garage that I could rent out.

I have set myself a timeline of one month to find one commercial tenant, then I will turn over my efforts to a leasing agent who can show me a more aggressive plan than my own (hanging a sign in the window and posting on MLS is not an aggressive plan).

Let me know what you think of what I'm doing and PLEASE tell me where I can improve!

Thanks!

0Reply
57 views

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Joel OwensBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Canton, GA · Member since 2010 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    9y

    Maybe a barber shop. They tend to like the small spaces.

    Also a printing business for cards,shirts,etc.

    These are mom and pop tenants that are local to the community. They are not going to pay high rent. National tenants the numbers just are not there for them to go in.

  • Investor · St. Thomas, Ontario · Member since 2015 · 692 posts · 312 votes
    9y

    Thanks for the feedback, Joel! Can you make any comments about strategy for discovering a need? Or strategy for courting potential tenants? What information would a potential tenant need to be convinced this is the place for them?

  • Joel OwensBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Canton, GA · Member since 2010 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    9y

    Local commercial retail leasing broker can perform a VOID ANALYSIS to determine highest and best use of your spaces to be leased up.

  • Investor · St. Thomas, Ontario · Member since 2015 · 692 posts · 312 votes
    9y

    So, they'll do what I am already doing? 

  • Full time investor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2013 · 405 posts · 312 votes
    9y

    I just purchased 5 buildings in a rural small town but don't have the traffic count you do.  Go to the council meetings, talk to residents as well as business owners.  In a small town, the residents are probably talking about you, use that to your advantage.  Advertise a work/live property.  Offer very flexible terms.  No one wants to be the first and only business in an empty building so the first tenant will need to be enticed.

    Build artificial hype.  Schedule mass showings with potential clients.  When you have a potential tenant coming through, let them know who else is interested in the building.  Add really bright dusk to dawn lights that highlight the building and let people know there is new life there.

  • Member since 2016 · 13k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    9y

    Commercial leasing, unlike residential, often involves very long vacancies. Be prepared to carry the property for a year or more in a small town where things do not move very fast. You will need to rely heavily on the residential income till then.

  • Investor · St. Thomas, Ontario · Member since 2015 · 692 posts · 312 votes
    9y

    Thanks for the tips, @Ash Patel. I'd love to hear more. I've already generated some hype and yes, the town is talking. The facebook group that I posted to has about 1/4 of the towns population in it (some may be from neighboring rural towns) and there's been a huge interest.

    @Thomas S. yes, this property was a steal so I can easily carry it on res units. There's already plenty of hype about the residential and the Facebook poll is drumming up general interest in what's going on there. As for long vacancies in commercial property - I've seen how others market their property: They buy it and hand it over to a property manager that puts a sign in the window. That's IT! They are just waiting for someone to happen to want to open a business and happen to see the sign and call the number. That's a pretty sad business model!

    Anyway, I'm meeting the members of Counsel that I mentioned tonight. I'll see what they have to say - hopefully they have some interest already. The top response on the poll was a gym, so I'm going to call every gym within 100km and see if someone wants to open a second location. I'll do the same with any other potential businesses.

  • Joel OwensBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Canton, GA · Member since 2010 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    9y

    You can generally get a list of new business licenses filed for. These companies that are just starting up might be looking for space.

    Create a business page for the building, a website, and see if you can link it to the local government or development department  as a resource.

  • Full time investor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2013 · 405 posts · 312 votes
    9y

    You are on the right track.  Just keep pounding the pavement.  Maybe find people that are operating a home based business and see if they want to take the next step.  Mom groups are good for this.  Get on all of the local businesses social media pages and get a feel for the vibe of the community.  Speaking at an actual council meeting will get you in front of the town spokes people (gossipers).  

    Also offer a high referral bonus for anyone who lands you a tenant.  Enlist your own social circles for that.  Keep us posted!

  • Investor · St. Thomas, Ontario · Member since 2015 · 692 posts · 312 votes
    9y

    @Joel Owens thank you for the tip! I will ask if the Director of Economic Dev has such a list available.

    @Ash Patel great ideas. The home business idea was pitched to me yesterday, too. The town is so small that my involvement in their Facebook group has pretty solid coverage! 

    Kijiji (I'm not sure if you have that in the US, it is like Craigslist) has generated one solid lead so far. I'm going to work with them to see if we are happy with each other and can work something out. 

    My meeting with the members of Council went very well. They're working with me to generate a lot of conversations with potential leads because we all want the same thing. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.