How would you value a closed brewpub in a premium location?

How would you value a closed brewpub in a premium location?

Buy & Hold Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2012 · 378 posts · 179 votes

I'm curious to know how you would value this property. It's a well known and popular brewpub/restaurant/rec area with waterfront access to one of Milwaukee's rivers. It appeared to be very successful until it closed with almost no warning last month for unknown reasons. 

It's not a going concern and no financials are likely available, so you can't value it in relation to owner earnings or gross revenue. You could value it as real estate + assets but (a) it's really hard to find comps, and (b) even if you had them there is no way to directly extrapolate financials from the asset values.

Any thoughts?

For an even harder challenge, how would you value it in combination with this property, which is owned by the same seller and directly opposite the first one, but has a completely unrelated use?

0Reply
49 views

Most Popular Reply

Russell BrazilBusiness Member
Moderator
Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
10y

As a beer aficionado, I am glad that this is not available for sale in my local market or I might make a really bad business decision.

See this reply in the discussion

16 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Buy & Hold Owner · Redlands, CA · Member since 2015 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    10y

    Even though popular, brewpub/restaurant are high overhead, low margin businesses.

    Restaurants have one of the highest failure rates known.  It takes lots of experience to manage and run one and not for a first time operator of such imo.

  • Vendor · Denver, CO · Member since 2015 · 63 posts · 20 votes
    10y

    This seems to be a somewhat common phenomenon. I have a client that also started as a microbrewery restaurant and then decided to focus on the beer distribution and sell the restaurant operation. It used to be the beer was used to sell food but now the food operation just gets in the way with the explosion of microbrews across the US.

    As for how to value this business the build-out seems very nice but without an existing restaurant operation I am not sure how you would be able to properly value. It appears the best use would be for another restaurant operation to come in, possibly an existing, established restaurant to open an additional location. The location does seem to be unique which further complicates valuing the property.

    We have a team that is working on a distressed Milwaukee portfolio that should be familiar with the area so I will ask what they think.

  • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
    10y

    As a beer aficionado, I am glad that this is not available for sale in my local market or I might make a really bad business decision.

  • Joel OwensBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Canton, GA · Member since 2010 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    10y

    Average household income 1 mile is 36,000. National average is 54,000.

    36,000 in 1 mile is considered a poorer area. Not much discretionary income to eat out on a frequent basis. If they did eat out likely they would want cheap beer on a budget. The money is in the mixed cocktails as the beers have low margins.

    My area for example we have upscale restaurants outside my subdivision but median household  income is about  90,000.

    The price they are wanting for 1 million an acre is crazy. I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole. I could buy an existing business across the country for that type of money in business for 20 years throwing off 500,000 a year cash flow profit or more after expenses.

    The hardest thing to do is take a vacant restaurant and make it successful under a new concept. The reason is the stigma over the old concept that failed. Looking pretty will draw them in but the service and food better be fantastic for the money or they will go to one of the other hundred restaurants within driving distance.

  • Buy & Hold Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2012 · 378 posts · 179 votes
    10y

    @Joel Owens

    Thanks for replying. I know you have a background in restaurants as well as commercial RE.

    The local median income is misleading. The property is in an old industrial area with many factories and warehouses bordering the river. But the adjacent neighborhood to the east is a big bar/restaurant area that attracts millennials with high disposable income. Also, the property's riverfront location and boat docks attract higher income people from across the metro. So the catchment area is better than the demographics imply.

    You make a great point about national comps. I was only thinking locally. If you were to value the property on an asset basis against other similar properties, where would you peg its value?

  • Joel OwensBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Canton, GA · Member since 2010 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    10y

    The assets of a restaurant trade really low.

    Equipment etc. goes for maybe 20 cents on the dollar when sold to a restaurant supply house. They have to resell for 50 cents on the dollar as the equipment is used. Restaurants spend a ton on build out and expensive new equipment and it drops like a rock in value. If this area is industrial it sounds like it currently has a non-conforming use as a restaurant.

    I would be interested to know what the sales are. Typically I like to see 10% or less of gross annual rent. So if the lease is 200,000 I want to see 2 million in sales. Preferably 6 to 7% is the sweet spot. If they were carrying a mortgage for the land and building I would compare that annual payment to sales.

    These mixed use oddball properties are a bear to value. When I did commercial bpo's they would take a long time with all the adjustments before submitting. I like more vanilla properties these days to focus on. I stay away from stuff like this.

    I wouldn't give it much value myself just due to alternative investment selection choices available for the same deployment of capital.

    What's the weather like in Wisconsin?? I would imagine there are months where the weather is bad and people will not make the trek there to do business. If you have a state with warm and luscious weather all year round that is a different situation.

  • Real Estate Lender and Broker · Dallas, TX · Member since 2013 · 966 posts · 500 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Joel Owens:

    What's the weather like in Wisconsin?? I would imagine there are months where the weather is bad and people will not make the trek there to do business. If you have a state with warm and luscious weather all year round that is a different situation.

     In Chicago, in the freezing cold of winter, people still go to bars in droves.  What else do you have to do in the winter.  I could see where a Milwaukee river location would be enticing.  Does it have a dock where customers can ride up in boats in the summer?  Joel is probably high on the value of the restaurant equipment.  They would be lucky to get 10% for the existing equipment.  I have seen restaurants where the landlord had to pay to get rid of the equipment.

    Mark

  • Buy & Hold Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2012 · 378 posts · 179 votes
    10y

    @Mark Creason is right. Milwaukee is a big drinking city and people still flock to the bars in the middle of winter. In fact, sometimes it feels like that's the only activity! And yes there is a dock for customers to moor boats in the summer, and other attractions such as volleyball courts.

    Based on @Joel Owens's comments and other valuations, it looks like you would have to see stabilized gross annual sales of $3m+. Unfortunately my only experience of bars and resataurants is as a patron so I'm not sure how feasible that is. To @dan wallace's point, I would need to bring in a very experienced restauranteur.

  • Rental Property Investor · Upstate, NY · Member since 2012 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    10y

    As for the unexpected closing look for an IRS lien it's happened around here several times. Some after significant renovations. The local Froghair (nicknamed 'cougarville') shutdown, laid off all staff, spent >$3/4million in renovations & then closed again after about 6 months. Their Insurance premiums alone were $93k. It's now an equally unfriendly, expensive but mildly successful Pizza Joint surrounded by the same.

     Along the lines of @Joel Owens comments regarding income demographics I questioned the logic of this new $3.8 million facility near us. It will be interesting to see if it succeeds as many restaurants etc around it are in trouble or gone except the odd very greasy spoons. 

    http://www.lockportjournal.com/news/local_news/mic...

    I just remembered another nearby restaurant that ran well for 20 years but has had 3 new owners since, none of whom had any experience in the business & it showed. 

  • Real Estate Lender and Broker · Dallas, TX · Member since 2013 · 966 posts · 500 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Nick L.:

    @Mark Creason

    We all think owning a bar would be cool, but they are typically money and time pits.

  • Joel OwensBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Canton, GA · Member since 2010 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    10y

    Anyone thinking of owning a restaurant go work in all fashions of the business for awhile and your eyes will be OPENED.

    It's a very tough business. People think "everyone has to eat" which is true but they do not have to eat at your establishment.

    If your food is too expensive, bad quality, inconsistent ( great product but made great and other times mediocre), poor customer service, etc. then the business will fail. It's only a matter of time. If you have less competition in an area then you do not have to discount as much to drive sales and customers will put up with more BS as they have limited options. Quality areas with many restaurant choices you can't do that.

    The demographics from the flyer even in 3 or 5 mile radius is not impressive at 40k + for 3 mile and 50+k for 5 mile.

    As I said food and beer are what brings people in but the spirit drinks, appetizers, and desserts is where the profit is at. If your majority of sales is cheap booze and low margin foods you will fail.

    Look at the show "bar rescue" with Jon Taffer. I enjoy watching those shows.   

  • Rental Property Investor · Upstate, NY · Member since 2012 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    10y

    That new bikini coffee bar in Arizona would be my idea of a successful well attended franchise. I believe company supplied uniform costs would be minimal & the coffee & food could be below average & way overpriced. 

    Years ago there was a bikini bar near our home in Kisseemee FL & (although I never went) I heard it was packed. 

  • Specialist · CHICAGO · Member since 2015 · 680 posts · 650 votes
    10y

    Man,

    This is tough. I love Milwaukee, RE, and beer...yet I don't believe there is a deal to be had here until they get desparate enough. Truth be told...Milwaukee Milenials will drink ANYWHERE. So, you'd pay a premium to be on the water, in a building, that their parents would want to go for a drink.

    I've always wanted to own a bar/restaurant in Milwaukee...but, the advantage in Milwaukee is that you don't need a place that has crazy overhead...they drink no matter where, what, or why. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Milwaukee County, WI · Member since 2009 · 3k+ posts · 525 votes
    10y

    I totally agree with Meghan

    " Milw is that you don't need a place that has crazy

    overhead...they drink no matter where, what, or why. "

  • Buy & Hold Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2012 · 378 posts · 179 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Pat L.:

    Years ago there was a bikini bar near our home in Kisseemee FL & (although I never went) I heard it was packed. 

    Is that the real estate equivalent of "I never inhaled"?!

  • Rental Property Investor · Upstate, NY · Member since 2012 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Nick L.:
    Originally posted by @Pat L.:

    Years ago there was a bikini bar near our home in Kisseemee FL & (although I never went) I heard it was packed. 

    Is that the real estate equivalent of "I never inhaled"?!

    excellent !!!

    But having grown up on topless & naked beaches it was just too crowded to wait that long for a beer :)

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.