Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
Commercial Real Estate Investing
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Melissa S Vrobel
  • Investor
  • Orlando, FL
Votes |
Commercial Opportunity in my neighborhood

Melissa S Vrobel
  • Investor
  • Orlando, FL
Posted Jul 11 2024, 09:02

Hi BP community,

I love my neighborhood and have two SFH and my primary there. I found commercial building on LoopNet and want to explore buying it. I read their NOI statement and know that it is not correct. Living there I happen to know several tenants aren't paying and there is no restaurant currently there and hasn't been for years. I am looking for some advice on how to move forward. I have a few commercial realtors that I reached out to, but thought that this community would be great to reach out to as well.

It is over 2M so I am guessing that a small bank won't take it on.  Half of my net worth is in the equity of my two rentals.  The rest is mainly 401k.  I also would be interested in partnering, but not even sure how to start.

Any articles, blogs, info welcome!

Cheers,

Melissa

User Stats

Votes
Jeffrey Abraham
  • Lender
Votes |

Since you live in the area you know the neighborhood better than anybody. First I would ask the seller to do a walk-through of the property and see everything firsthand. Then there are many lending programs here in the states that only require 25-30 % down with no experience only that you are a homeowner. If you would like more information please DM me and I recommend you to a hedgefund i been working with, have a nice week.

User Stats

Votes
Nikolas Engel
  • Investor
  • Pacific Northwest
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Pacific Northwest
Replied Jul 16 2024, 14:43

First, I would ask the broker for financials for the building. Check it against the information that you have, if it doesn't match, make your own calculation.  If your calculation makes sense investment wise for you make an offer based on your numbers.

It is hard for the seller to completely manipulate the income of a commercial property, if your lender is thorough it will be revealed in the financing process. 

Have you looked into using a local credit union for financing?

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Chris Mason
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • California
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • California
ModeratorReplied Jul 17 2024, 11:08

If some sucker comes along and takes those fake numbers at face value, they will pay a higher price than they should (certainly they will pay more than you), and that idiot will "win" the property. If the name of the game is "be the biggest idiot," it's ok to lose and let someone else "win."

Honestly, I'd give it a few months. If that idiot comes along, you can't control that or do anything about it. So don't jump the gun and tip your hand to early.

If 4 or 6 months pass and no idiot comes along, that's a good time for you to pop up with a reasonable offer (that the seller is considering "lowball," but so what). At that point, the seller has had time to go through their emotional journey. If you jump the gun now, or a month from now, you've interrupted that emotional journey and are giving them mixed signals with your premature interest. 

In terms of your financing question, the majority of loans we do are in that $1m to $5m range, so that's not an issue at all (fake numbers wasting everyone's time would of course be an issue, but let's stipulate that it's solved). I doubt 25% down is realistic, it depends on the accurate property financials, which you do not have yet, but if you need help sizing up the loan once you have those financials, I'd be happy to help with that.

Good luck, maybe talk to you in six months, bookmark this thread. :P

CommLoan Logo