Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Commercial Real Estate Investing
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Griffin Dalrymple
  • Tampa, FL
Votes |
Commercial RE Equity

Griffin Dalrymple
  • Tampa, FL
Posted

Thx in advance for your thoughts / ideas. I have a SMLLC that owns 2 commercial office units. Both units have leverage from different banks.

The details - Unit A value of $1.65M / mtg of $400K @ 3.25% (balloon in 6 yrs). Unit B value of $550K / mtg of $400K @ 6.75% (balloon in 8 yrs).

The properties cashflow a good bit. However, it drives me crazy I can't deploy the $1M+ equity into a different deal. I haven't found a bank willing to sit in a 2nd position (even at a low LTV). To sit in the 1st position requires repapering the higher equity deal with the low IR.

Any thoughts on how I can access this equity without selling or refinancing the more valuable property?

User Stats

Votes
Nick Maugeri
  • Realtor
  • Modesto, CA
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Modesto, CA
Replied
Quote from @Griffin Dalrymple:

Thx in advance for your thoughts / ideas. I have a SMLLC that owns 2 commercial office units. Both units have leverage from different banks.

The details - Unit A value of $1.65M / mtg of $400K @ 3.25% (balloon in 6 yrs). Unit B value of $550K / mtg of $400K @ 6.75% (balloon in 8 yrs).

The properties cashflow a good bit. However, it drives me crazy I can't deploy the $1M+ equity into a different deal. I haven't found a bank willing to sit in a 2nd position (even at a low LTV). To sit in the 1st position requires repapering the higher equity deal with the low IR.

Any thoughts on how I can access this equity without selling or refinancing the more valuable property?

LOC?

User Stats

Votes
Gino Barbaro
Pro Member
#1 Multi-Family and Apartment Investing Contributor
  • Rental Property Investor
  • St Augustine, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 Multi-Family and Apartment Investing Contributor
  • Rental Property Investor
  • St Augustine, FL
Replied

@Griffin Dalrymple

If there's no other way, the options are to 1031 or sell a portion to a partner. When rates drop, the option is to refinance.

We're in the same position. 2 deals with ton of equity, yet have to wait until rates drop.

I guess it's a good problem to have but it can be frustrating

Gino

PropStream logo
PropStream
|
Sponsored
Nationwide property data Use our robust, multi-sourced data to find off-market properties and close your next deal.

User Stats

Votes
Griffin Dalrymple
  • Tampa, FL
Votes |
  • Tampa, FL
Replied

@Nick Maugeri no bank will offer a LOC on the properties (even with very attractive LTV) bc they don't want 2nd position.

User Stats

Votes
Griffin Dalrymple
  • Tampa, FL
Votes |
  • Tampa, FL
Replied

Thx @Gino Barbaro. Yes, sitting on the CF isn’t a bad place to be but I like making deals. I guess I’ll sit and wait…. TY

User Stats

Votes
Nick Maugeri
  • Realtor
  • Modesto, CA
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Modesto, CA
Replied
Quote from @Griffin Dalrymple:

@Nick Maugeri no bank will offer a LOC on the properties (even with very attractive LTV) bc they don't want 2nd position.

It seems like good options would be private lenders then, depending on what you can support for their return. Another consideration is to get a portfolio loan that will take on both properties at an average rate which will give you capital through a finance (refi similar). Even if you have to pay a bit more now and have CF decreased, you will get the funds to continue deals and can reposition later. 

User Stats

Votes
Henry Clark
Pro Member
#1 Commercial Real Estate Investing Contributor
  • Developer
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 Commercial Real Estate Investing Contributor
  • Developer
Replied

Understand your lender is part of your team.  Decide how you plan to scale.  Don't chase interest rates.  Ask them what their Federal Lending Limit is and see if that fits your scaling plans.

I would talk with the larger loan outfit.  Ask them how to refi the smaller second loan to them.  Tell them you would like to Cross Collateralize to buy a 3rd property.  Without refinancing the larger loan.