Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Commercial Real Estate Investing
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Gary Kumar
Pro Member
Votes |
Converting a Mechanic Shop/Garage to Restaurant/Retail Space

Gary Kumar
Pro Member
Posted

Hello,

I've been looking at real estate in Milwaukee and Madison. Im interested in knowing the process on possibly converting existing garage/mechanic shop space into restaurant space. I've seen some businesses that have done this in the past where it was an oil change business and it was converted into a coffee shop or restaurant. Most Likely we would have to buy the property with a loan and get a construction loan for the upgrades to convert. What would something like this possibly cost? Any information helps. 

Thanks 

User Stats

Votes
Chris Mason
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • California
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • California
ModeratorReplied

This will cost more than you think. Environmental reports...

CommLoan Logo

User Stats

Votes
Marcus Auerbach
Agent
  • Investor and Real Estate Agent
  • Milwaukee - Mequon, WI
Votes |
Agent
  • Investor and Real Estate Agent
  • Milwaukee - Mequon, WI
Replied

That is one of the most expensive and difficult conversions you can attempt. 

Step on is decontaminating the site, probably busting out the concrete floors and if necessary the soil under it. You won't get financing until you pass an environmental phase II.

Then on to part two. Building a restaurant is shockingly expensive, especially the kitchen, ventilation and fire suppression. And you also have to jump through a lot of permitting hoops and redtape, depending of what you want to serve: take out, dine-in, beer&wine, liquor - all different licenses. Even in brew-city Milwaukee. 

You will have to get the alderman on board (politics..) and then the neighbors about hours and parking..

It's a cool project, it feels like you make an impact on the community, but I would only do that if I had too much money, nothing to do with my time and looking for a proper challenge.

BiggerPockets logo
Network With Property Managers
|
BiggerPockets
Partnering with a property manager before you buy will boost your bottom line. Match and mingle with top property managers now!

User Stats

Votes
Chris Mason
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • California
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • California
ModeratorReplied
Quote from @Marcus Auerbach:

Building a restaurant is shockingly expensive, especially the kitchen, ventilation and fire suppression. And you also have to jump through a lot of permitting hoops and redtape, depending of what you want to serve: take out, dine-in, beer&wine, liquor - all different licenses. Even in brew-city Milwaukee. .

This actually got me thinking of the best restaurant deals I've seen. They aren't toxic wasteland to eating establishment conversions. 

Rather, it's the restaurant that just went broke. One recent example, the seller purchased the building and dumped $500k into making it their dream vegan organic non-GMO ethical [bla bla bla, and so on, and so on] eating establishment. Only problem, they didn't do their homework, this wasn't an area where that sort of thing is actually sufficiently in demand to support that restaurant, at the prices they needed to turn a profit. Reading between the lines, if they were open to a concept shift, they weren't open to it soon enough to make the pivot before running out of money.

So my buyer picks it up for a tad under what the seller paid for it, a few years ago, before the $500k in upgrades. And is walking into a turnkey ready to rock building, the seller (whom I am presuming is now broke, but that may not be the case) even left the tables and chairs behind, all ready to have plates full of unethical inorganic genetically modified red meat dipped in butter placed on them. 

@Gary Kumar as you drive around this area, are there not shuttered/abandoned restaurants or bars? I think that might be the more plausible value play.

CommLoan Logo

User Stats

Votes
Ronald Rohde
Pro Member
#3 Commercial Real Estate Investing Contributor
  • Attorney
  • Dallas, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
#3 Commercial Real Estate Investing Contributor
  • Attorney
  • Dallas, TX
Replied

Budget $300/ft for conversion, plus land acquisition. How much will that rent for on exit?