Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
Commercial Real Estate Investing
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Juan Rodriguez
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Florida
Votes |
Adding storage sheds to 7plex

Juan Rodriguez
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Florida
Posted May 15 2024, 16:42

hi, 

Buying my first 7-plex in FL (already have multiple duplex) and there is some space to add few pre-fabricated shed storage units. 

The rent per unit (1/1) is around 850-1,000, and planning to charge ~$50 per month per shed unit. 

Has any of you done something like this before?, or you feel it's more hassle (liability, tenants complaints, etc) than benefits?

Thanks  

User Stats

Votes
Gino Barbaro
Pro Member
#2 Multi-Family and Apartment Investing Contributor
  • Rental Property Investor
  • St Augustine, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 Multi-Family and Apartment Investing Contributor
  • Rental Property Investor
  • St Augustine, FL
Replied May 16 2024, 07:03

@Juan Rodriguez

We had garages that were loaded with junk when we bought our first property. We cleaned them out and rented them as storage units. 

I would ask the tenants if this is something that they would benefit. If they don't use them, then you can advertise and rent out to anyone

Good Luck!

We got $50 per month as well on our deal

User Stats

Votes
Ronald Rohde
Pro Member
#3 Commercial Real Estate Investing Contributor
  • Attorney
  • Dallas, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
#3 Commercial Real Estate Investing Contributor
  • Attorney
  • Dallas, TX
Replied May 16 2024, 08:08

Yep it sounds like a good income add if you have the space, how do you maintain them? secure and clean them? stolen?

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Tyler Y.
  • Investor
  • Houston TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Houston TX
Replied Jun 26 2024, 08:29
Quote from @Juan Rodriguez:

hi, 

Buying my first 7-plex in FL (already have multiple duplex) and there is some space to add few pre-fabricated shed storage units. 

The rent per unit (1/1) is around 850-1,000, and planning to charge ~$50 per month per shed unit. 

Has any of you done something like this before?, or you feel it's more hassle (liability, tenants complaints, etc) than benefits?

Thanks  

Juan, I'm just curious, what do you think the sheds will cost to buy, transport, set up, etc? 

This sounds like a good idea, but all of that matters of course for the ROI calculations.

User Stats

Votes
Juan Rodriguez
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Florida
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Florida
Replied Jun 26 2024, 13:32
Quote from @Ronald Rohde:

Yep it sounds like a good income add if you have the space, how do you maintain them? secure and clean them? stolen?

I plan to make them with no need for maintenance and the lease that I'm not responsible for the stolen goods (I know, this will be the tricky one)

User Stats

Votes
Chris Mason
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • California
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • California
ModeratorReplied Jun 27 2024, 14:49

If we assume that once in a while things will not go 100% perfect with one of these small $50/mo storage units... is this really worth your time?

$50/mo is 1/20th of $1000/mo. But will it be 1/20th of the effort? Is the "will you please work with me on the rent" conversations be 1/20th as frequent or 1/20th as long or 1/20th as dramatic? 

The cost to "evict" may actually be 1/20th since 'stuff' doesn't have tenant's rights the way a residential tenant does, but the entire other basked of 'stuff' to deal with seems like it might be closer to 1/2 or 75% of the 'normal' level of time/attention/etc that you as the landlord have to deal with.... but you're only getting 1/20th the income.

Unless of course you are going to tie these to the 7 units themselves, and moving forward every time there is a vacancy, include the storage with the unit as a bundled pair, and increase the rent accordingly. That, I could see making sense. 

CommLoan Logo