Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Commercial Real Estate Investing
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Abdul Siddiqui
  • Investor
  • Houston TX
Votes |
Guidance on FLEX Space Investing in Houston.

Abdul Siddiqui
  • Investor
  • Houston TX
Posted

Hey Guys,

I am a local investor with a few SFH's in Houston. Currently, I am looking to see about acquiring commercial land and building a warehouse or FLEX space. I wanted to see if anyone has done something similar in the Houston or surrounding area. Was thinking of buying 1 acre - 5 acre commercial tract in Katy or Richmond area and then develop 1350-1800 Sq/ft FLEX spaces. To be honest am unsure where to start after buying raw commercial land. Has anyone  done a flex space build that can guide. Would love to hear feedback from other members, builders and commercial brokers.
Thanks

User Stats

Votes
Tanh Truong
  • Investor
  • Cincinnati, OH
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Cincinnati, OH
Replied

I am not familiar with the area, but first I would check the zoning to see if it allows for warehouses/flex base. If allowable, I think the next steps would be to communicate with the zoning jurisdiction, or city council for the next steps. If not allowable, you would most likely have to apply for a variance. I would imagine it would involve architects, attorneys, civil engineers and surveyors to get you a plat drawn. Keep in mind utilities as well. 

User Stats

Votes
Abdul Siddiqui
  • Investor
  • Houston TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Houston TX
Replied
Thank you for the feedback! Much appreciated!

Rent To Retirement logo
Rent To Retirement
|
Sponsored
Turnkey Rentals 12+ States. SFR, MF & New Builds, High ROI! 3.99% rates, 5% down loans, below market prices across the US! Txt REI to 33777

User Stats

Votes
Joseph Gozlan
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Plano, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Plano, TX
Replied
Quote from @Abdul Siddiqui:

Hey Guys,

I am a local investor with a few SFH's in Houston. Currently, I am looking to see about acquiring commercial land and building a warehouse or FLEX space. I wanted to see if anyone has done something similar in the Houston or surrounding area. Was thinking of buying 1 acre - 5 acre commercial tract in Katy or Richmond area and then develop 1350-1800 Sq/ft FLEX spaces. To be honest am unsure where to start after buying raw commercial land. Has anyone  done a flex space build that can guide. Would love to hear feedback from other members, builders and commercial brokers.
Thanks

Before you buy the land, I'd try to research and find the developer you want to work with first. A good developer will guide you through all the required steps and will warn you from the pitfalls along the way. Some might even have a piece of land they know of to point out for you.  

User Stats

Votes
Roy Bhavi
  • Developer
Votes |
  • Developer
Replied

Hey Guys,

Thanks

Do a Google Search for 'Hamza Invests in Houston' and assess if you like his program

User Stats

Votes
Roy Bhavi
  • Developer
Votes |
  • Developer
Replied

Hey Guys,

Thanks

Search for "Hamza Invests in Houston" and check out his YouTube channel

User Stats

Votes
Brent Thomas
  • Contractor
  • Houston TX
Votes |
  • Contractor
  • Houston TX
Replied

Hey Guys,

Than

@Abdul Siddiqui

@Abdul Siddiqui

User Stats

Votes
Brent Thomas
  • Contractor
  • Houston TX
Votes |
  • Contractor
  • Houston TX
Replied
Quote from @Brent Thomas:

Hey Guys,

Than

@Abdul Siddiqui

@Abdul Siddiqui

How is the development process going? I have started my journey as well here in the Houston area and wanted to get some insight from you on where you are in the project and any feedback about the process. Thank you. 

User Stats

Votes
Abdul Siddiqui
  • Investor
  • Houston TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Houston TX
Replied

Hey Guys,

Than

@Abdul Siddiqui

@Abdul Siddiqui

How is the development process going? I have started my journey as well here in the Houston area and wanted to get some insight from you on where you are in the project and any feedback about the process. Thank you. 

@Brent Thomas ... Apologies for the delayed response. We did end up buying a 14-acre tract and a 2-acre tract. But are just sitting on it as the development cost is too high.

User Stats

Votes
Replied

I'm following this thread now as well. I currently do ground up residential development but am interested in flex space as well. 

User Stats

Votes
Derek Smith
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Austin, TX
Replied
Quote from @Roy Bhavi:

Hey Guys,

Thanks

Hi Roy, are you part of Hamza's program? I am currently under contract on some commercial land near Houston with plans to develop flex space and have a call set with Hamza's team for 2 days from now. Would love to hear feedback about his program from somebody who is in it.

User Stats

Votes
Thomas Keigwin
  • New to Real Estate
  • Nashville, TN
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Nashville, TN
Replied
Quote from @Derek Smith:
Quote from @Roy Bhavi:

Hey Guys,

Thanks

Hi Roy, are you part of Hamza's program? I am currently under contract on some commercial land near Houston with plans to develop flex space and have a call set with Hamza's team for 2 days from now. Would love to hear feedback about his program from somebody who is in it.

How did the call go?  I'm looking to get into flex space development myself.