Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Buying & Selling Real Estate
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes

Selling home to an investor regret help!

Posted Dec 25 2020, 03:34

Just noticed I could add more so I want to list now on the market with an agent. I feel take. Advantage of by investor. Appraisaer only listed crappy comps didn’t bother to check if neighbors home sold way over asking price. It was the same day the report was issued to the buyer. Investor says to bad or I’ll sue. Under contract I have a permit to get and duct work to finish. Could that be my loop hole? Thank you on California I’m a wreck! 

User Stats

Votes
Theresa Harris
Pro Member
#2 Managing Your Property Contributor
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 Managing Your Property Contributor
Replied Dec 25 2020, 04:40

Unless they are trying to use the appraisal to renegotiate, you agreed to the terms and conditions of the offer.  If they are trying to renegotiate, you can say no.  In that case they either accept the terms of the original offer or they walk away.  

Your realtor should have helped you with this.  They should have pulled the comps before recommending a list price and again when you were negotiating with the buyer.

User Stats

Votes
Sean H.
  • Developer
  • north carolina
Votes |
  • Developer
  • north carolina
Replied Dec 25 2020, 04:52

if it's a wholesaler, they may have had you sign an assignment. Maybe easier to break that contract. Speak to a real estate attorney. Or, call their bluff and see if they actually sue you. Maybe the profit you're set to gain is far greater than the loss in legal expenses. 

PropStream logo
PropStream
|
Sponsored
Nationwide property data Use our robust, multi-sourced data to find off-market properties and close your next deal.

User Stats

Votes
Charlie MacPherson
  • China, ME
Votes |
  • China, ME
Replied Dec 25 2020, 05:35

@Michelle Harbeson  There's not enough information here to say for sure, but on the surface, this sounds like another example of a wholesaler screwing a seller.  Screwing people is the wholesaler's stock in trade.  It's the only way they make money.

You need to find out if this is an unlicensed wholesaler.  If it is, you may be able to get out - but you'll need an attorney's advice.  If he's licensed, there may be other ways to kill the deal.

Wholesaling without a real estate license is illegal in almost every state.  The theory I'd bring to your attorney is that a contract formed for an illegal purpose is void at its inception.

The other thing you might try is using "fraud in the inducement".  That tort law says that if someone causes you to enter into a contract without both the intent and ability (money) to follow through to completion, they have committed fraud.  You could threaten to counter sue them for that - but again, your attorney's advice is critical.

Investors, whether wholesalers or not, need to get your house at a discount.  You will always do better by putting it on the open market. That means a real estate agent who is a fiduciary to you (the investor most certainly is not) and marketing through MLS, social media, PPC and whatever other channels they use.

I'd take a close look at the appraiser.  Was that person licensed?  Or was it the investor's buddy who is only working to drive the price down?

Whether comps sold above asking isn't a factor.  It's the amount they sold for that matters. 

Comps should be very close geographically - less than a mile but preferably within 1/4 mile.  They should also nearly identical in the number of beds, baths, sq ft of living area, garage, basement, acres, style, age, etc.  I have seen bad appraisals, but they're fairly rare.

Good luck!

User Stats

Votes
Replied Dec 25 2020, 15:42

Thanks everyone I did not have an agent he is an agent but acting alone. Can’t I say I’m canceling all work has not been finished and I decided not to do it?   My neighbors home sold for 435,000 asking was 414,000 appraisal didn’t mention sold price buyer said it was a recent close appraiser didn’t know it sold.  Records show close date was 12-18 appraisal was 12-16 finished on 12-18. 

User Stats

Votes
Wayne Brooks#1 Foreclosures Contributor
  • Real Estate Professional
  • West Palm Beach, FL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Professional
  • West Palm Beach, FL
Replied Dec 25 2020, 18:01

@Michelle Harbeson Your contract is binding.....”I changed my mind” doesn’t change that. If the buyer will actually pursue it legally is a different matter. 

User Stats

Votes
Charlie MacPherson
  • China, ME
Votes |
  • China, ME
Replied Dec 26 2020, 03:07

@Michelle Harbeson There's still not enough information to be sure, but your last statement changes things.  So the buyer is a licensed real estate agent.  Did he disclose that prior to making an offer?  If he didn't, you might be able to get out based on that, but I'm not especially confident it would work.

Assuming he did, it sounds like he made an offer with repairs written in to the contract, and you accepted the contract.  You have not completed the work outlined in the contract.

If that's right, you're probably on the hook.  

Your "outs" would be defects in the contract.  Parties or property improperly named, mistake, seller failing to meet timelines, improper/missing signatures, etc.  Again, this needs to be run by your attorney.

Failing to do the repairs in the contract doesn't get you out.  It just means you're in breach of contract and you'll open yourself up to a lawsuit.