Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Buying & Selling Real Estate
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Darrell D.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Springfield, OH
Votes |
VA Loan Limits Have Been Removed!!!

Darrell D.
  • Springfield, OH
Posted Jan 23 2020, 17:31

In 2018 I wrote an article about how I used VA loans to build my portfolio. I maximized the VA loan entitlement and unfortunately the program limited how much I buy. Now however, it's a completely different.

My 2018 BP Article

The current VA website...

VA Link

Effective January 1, 2020, there are no county loan limits for Veterans with full VA home loan entitlement.

However, county loan limits still apply to Veterans who have previously used, and not restored, their VA home loan entitlement to purchase, refinance, or construct a home above $144,000.

Your entitlement can only be restored when the property is sold, or the loan is paid-in-full. If you want to purchase another home without fulfilling these criteria, VA will only guarantee your total outstanding loan amount up to the county loan limit of the home you wish to purchase next.

There may be other restrictions such as how many you can have or how many in a single city. At first glance though, it looks like investors can go as high as they want (while still qualifying for a loan) and as many times as they want. Every investor tries to invest without money out of their pocket. This makes the VA loan so powerful. Without limits I can't imagine what this will do. Every veteran should know about these benefits. I built a nice nest egg but it could have been bigger with this new program.

Trump signed this into action BTW.

User Stats

Votes
Kyle W.
Pro Member
  • Sierra Vista, AZ
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Sierra Vista, AZ
Replied Jan 23 2020, 17:52

@Darrell D. I heard rumors. We will have to wait months for the VA, lenders, military resource websites etc. to update this information. In the meantime, conflicting information will need to be vetted as usual. This is fantastic news. Lump this with the "Forever G.I. Bill" and being able to seek local private health care when further than 30 minutes from a VA offered healthcare facilities. I also believe better transition information is being provided to newly separated, so they hopefully take advantage of everything available to them. Thanks for sharing this information and especially the source.

User Stats

Votes
Darrell D.
  • Springfield, OH
Votes |
  • Springfield, OH
Replied Jan 23 2020, 18:05

@Kyle W.

I agree it is fantastic.  We're definitely headed in the right direction.  

However, it's amazing to me how little information the veterans know about their benefits. Rarely do they know you can use the VA loan more than once. I've been thinking about teaching at the local base on occasion to spread the word. I could write a book but I think they're outdated. Everything is own Youtube now or they won't pick it up.

I currently have three VA loans but now I want to sell them just to take advantage of the program.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
David Pere
  • Springfield, MO
Votes |
  • Springfield, MO
Replied Jan 24 2020, 08:34

You are correct brother! The limit is lifted, Purple Heart recipients (even if still active duty) no longer pay funding fee's, and several other changes. The funding fee increased, but I think that is an acceptable payoff.

I have written a few articles, and posted a YouTube video about this, but there are some great things about this update!

User Stats

Votes
Darrell D.
  • Springfield, OH
Votes |
  • Springfield, OH
Replied Jan 24 2020, 14:29

@David Pere

Hey bud.  Send me your youtube channel.  Some of your links on BP profile need to be updated, the links are broken.

I'm just getting started in Youtube.  My channel is "Houses and Cars."

User Stats

Votes
Carlos Scarpero
Lender
  • Lender
  • Dayton, OH
Votes |
Lender
  • Lender
  • Dayton, OH
Replied Jul 7 2024, 18:55

Yes, I remember when this law was passed. A great day for the VA home loan program indeed.

While the VA home loan does not have limits, most lenders impose their own limits. Luckily most are in the several million dollar range.

• Lender Virginia (#1674385), Arizona (#1674385), Tennessee (#1674385), Alabama (#1674385), Florida (#1674385), Texas (#1674385), Indiana (#1674385), Kentucky (#1674385), and Ohio (#1674385)

Home Loans by Carlos Scarpero, Powered by Edge Home Finance, NMLS #1674385 Logo