Sheeva R.
  • San Jose , CA
Votes |
Pittsburg/Antioch CA - recommendations?

Sheeva R.
  • San Jose , CA
Posted Mar 27 2018, 13:30

Hi everyone,

I wanted to get peoples sense on the Pittsburg/Antioch area. What type of reputation does this area have and how has it been changing? I am wondering about average demographic and if the area in general is felt to be growing.

When you look at a population map, that has one of the highest populations in the East Bay area but I didn't know much about the area.

Hoping for some advice, thank!

User Stats

Votes
Ana Marie B.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • SF Bay Area, CA
Votes |
  • SF Bay Area, CA
Replied Mar 27 2018, 14:23

@Sheeva R. - I don't live in either city, but can say that the reputation for both cities -- Pittsburg and Antioch aren't the greatest, unfortunately.  I used to visit Pittsburg quite often and can say that I wouldn't feel safe walking around at night, even in some of the nicer, residential parts of town.  I still hear that crime is a problem in both cities.  However, lower cost of living/ housing and cultural diversity are major advantages. When I'm researching new cities to purchase rentals, I google forums where actual residents discuss their likes/dislikes.  Below are 2 such links that you may find helpful:

https://www.niche.com/places-to-live/pittsburg-con...

https://www.niche.com/places-to-live/antioch-contr...

User Stats

Votes
Aaron H.
  • San Jose, CA
Votes |
  • San Jose, CA
Replied Mar 28 2018, 09:52

My portfolio is spread across Antioch, Bay Point and Pittsburg.  Yes they are working class and there is crime, but you are not living there so why does it matter.  Because of the housing shortage there are no vacancies and my rents go up every year.  My only regret is not buying more during the downturn.  

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Robert Rayford
  • Investor
  • Las Vegas. Jacksonville, Bay Area Ca, Nv, Ca, Fl
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Las Vegas. Jacksonville, Bay Area Ca, Nv, Ca, Fl
Replied Mar 28 2018, 19:56

@Sheeva R., I own rental property in Pittsburg and I have no problem with any crime or issues with the rental pool, by the way the area got Model City awards from the Federal Government last couple years. Pittsburg has great returns, the latest report shows the something like 80% of all sales were purchased with cash. Us investors here keep a tight lip on the market because of the low inventory. 

Antioch used to be a great place to invest but now they have extreme crime problem. At one point they had to get the, State Highway patrol to help out with the patrolling. Southeast Antioch is better area but there are pockets. 

Account Closed
Votes |
Replied Apr 16 2018, 21:53

I have been in these markets for the last eight years. I personally think they are the best markets in the Bay Area.

No rent control. Still affordable housing and plenty of room to grow. Pittsburg has changed drastically last five years. Check out its downtown. Definitely no Santa Row but still a decent place to get food. Much more safe than in the past and if you are not living there so who really cares. 

Antioch is just starting to really change last two years. Antioch six - years ago was a train wreck. Doing a flip good odds you would have trespassers. But property crime is way down. Freeway and roads have been pretty much all cleaned up. Home prices are up 300% since 2009. From an investment perspective you would of done better buying ten single family homes for a million in this market in 2009 than a 1 million dollar house in SF. People are getting pushed out from more desirable areas to East County. With bart coming in should help even more. It's really the last affordable place in the Bay Area that you can still get a 2000 sq. ft house to buy and the last place where working families can afford rent. Just my two cents.. 

User Stats

Votes
Abhay Sachar
  • Fremont, CA
Votes |
  • Fremont, CA
Replied Oct 18 2018, 21:43

Realizing this is an old(er) thread - but have a few questions:

Is Pittsburg still considered a good market to get in for a buy and hold now?

Any recommendations for a property manager/realtor who can advise on typically how long do homes stay on the market before being rented out?

User Stats

Votes
Naveed Q.
  • Investor
  • Brentwood, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Brentwood, CA
Replied Oct 29 2018, 15:36

@Abhay Sachar there are some good areas in Pittsburg/Antioch and some little tough areas. Right now I am not sure with the prices where they are you would find anything with a cash flow.  But back to your original question as to how long will it take for rent... I will say a month .

User Stats

Votes
Replied Mar 16 2023, 11:30

Hi Everyone - Fast forward to 2023, do investing in Pittsburg / Antioch still makes sense from rental property purposes?