Seller about to short sell

Seller about to short sell

Amherst, OH · Member since 2017 · 18 posts · 7 votes

I was discussing houses with a coworker today. Turns out he owns a home that he just doesnt want anymore. He has rented it through a PM before and hasn't had a pleasant experience with tenant turnover and minor damages that erased the little profit he made.

Then he got to telling me he is thinking of trying to short sell it so I got curious if there might be a deal to be had.

From what I can tell he paid 87k for it....
He said he still owes around 72k and that houses near by have been selling in the 50s....although when I did a quick zillow search on my phone I saw similar houses listed in the 70s so I was a little confused why he thought he could short sell it. He did say however that he has spoken to a realtor who specializes in short sales but has not signed anything yet. So apparently that realtor thinks this property could go as a short sale I dunno.

Anywayyyyy....in talking to him he is just done with the property. He is in another house now with his family and does not have the $$$ nor the desire to handle both houses.

Are there any creative ways to work a deal that would prevent him from a short sale and at the same time get a deal on the property?
Or to make sure I'm on the A list when it short sells? lol

I believe it would rent for 750....but being he owes 72000 I dont see much of a deal but thought Id ask anyway.

0Reply
20 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Riverside, CA · Member since 2017 · 412 posts · 296 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Robert Mouser:

    I was discussing houses with a coworker today. Turns out he owns a home that he just doesnt want anymore. He has rented it through a PM before and hasn't had a pleasant experience with tenant turnover and minor damages that erased the little profit he made.

    Then he got to telling me he is thinking of trying to short sell it so I got curious if there might be a deal to be had.

    From what I can tell he paid 87k for it....
    He said he still owes around 72k and that houses near by have been selling in the 50s....although when I did a quick zillow search on my phone I saw similar houses listed in the 70s so I was a little confused why he thought he could short sell it. He did say however that he has spoken to a realtor who specializes in short sales but has not signed anything yet. So apparently that realtor thinks this property could go as a short sale I dunno.

    Anywayyyyy....in talking to him he is just done with the property. He is in another house now with his family and does not have the $$$ nor the desire to handle both houses.

    Are there any creative ways to work a deal that would prevent him from a short sale and at the same time get a deal on the property?
    Or to make sure I'm on the A list when it short sells? lol

    I believe it would rent for 750....but being he owes 72000 I dont see much of a deal but thought Id ask anyway.

     It requires the lender's written approval to short sell a property and can take 6 mos to a year to complete. You could however do a Subject To and simply take over the property.

  • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
    8y

    If you are willing to pay off the lien holder and the transfer costs you are all set to buy.  If the cost your are willing to pay plus transfer costs are higher than what is owed to the lien holder, then for it to be a short sales the lien holder will require it be listed, and often listed for a specific amount of time before they would even look at a short sale offer.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.