Does a buyer ever pay for his/her own agent?

Does a buyer ever pay for his/her own agent?

Aurora, CO · Member since 2017 · 1 post · 0 votes

So...I am buying a house in a rural area and I've kind of gotten myself into a weird situation. I could use some advice! I currently live in a big city, and I am already under contract to sell my house in the city. I have a real estate agent here, and everything is going smoothly with that. However, due to a family/career situation, I am moving out to a very rural area (same state, about 120 miles out from the city where I currently live). The house that my husband and I fell in love with out there is being sold by a guy that wanted to save on closing costs by doing a for sale by owner and he's hesitant to pay commission on a buyer's agent, as well. He has a real estate agent who is a "dear friend" who is completing the paperwork for the offers, working with the title company, etc...However, I am not comfortable not having a buyer's real estate agent, as I would really like to get an inspection and appraisal done on the place, help negotiate for us, etc... So my big question is: Can a buyer ever offer to pay his/her own real estate agent, or is it just a seller that can pay the buyer's agent? I don't want to lose the house over it, but I would feel more comfortable working with a professional than doing it on my own, as I don't have the real estate knowledge that I feel is necessary to do this without a buyer's agent. Should I forget about this property and move onto one that's actually listed if he's not willing to work with/pay a buyer's real estate agent? Any advice?

0Reply
19 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Conway, AR · Member since 2017 · 146 posts · 75 votes
    9y

    Everything in real estate (and business) is negotiable to a degree.. If you tell the seller that you are willing to pay the real estate fees, then make sure your realtor writes that into the contract. If I was the seller, I would love to have the buyer pay the realtor fees!

    Good luck to you!

  • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
    9y

    Yes you can, 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.