Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Buying & Selling Real Estate
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Sherri Southwell
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Tampa, Fl
Votes |
NEED HELP WITH FIRST WHOLESALE DEAL-PROBATE ISSUES

Sherri Southwell
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Tampa, Fl
Posted Aug 7 2015, 12:16

I have a property (vacant about 4 years) in probate with some title issues.  There are no heirs and is being handled by an estate atty with the assistance of a RE broker.  There are $5k+ in back taxes owed.  The estate atty/RE broker are working to determine an asking price.  Ok, the fun part:  According to the RE broker, the probate issues stem from a reverse mortgage taken out by the deceased.  At death, the mortgage balance was $0 but then the mortgage company attempted to foreclose alleging that they paid the deceased almost $500k.  There is no proof of any payments to the deceased and judges have repeatedly ruled without prejudice for the estate but the mortgage company has continued to appeal.  The title company won't offer title insurance until there is a ruling with prejudice to keep the mortgage company from filing in the future and any heirs from coming forth later.  The house itself is ok but there is are some big ticket items that must be addressed to make the property whole.  Such as the pool, it has cracks and popped up; the dock must be rebuilt; new a/c; kitchen needs makeover. Structurally, it actually looks ok.  Input?  Suggestions?  I think there is potential as it's in a desirable neighborhood and not in overall bad shape.  I just need to know how to make this work.  Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Dana Whicker
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Fernandina Beach, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Fernandina Beach, FL
Replied Aug 7 2015, 13:09

Hopefully Rick Harmon will see this.  Something seems fishy about the dismissals on the reverse mortgage cases but it could be simply that the defendant (the estate with no heirs) is not putting forth the effort of a proper defense.  That's speculation of course and I'm probably talking over my head as I'm not an attorney.

User Stats

Votes
Rick H.#4 Marketing Your Property Contributor
  • Lender
  • Greater LA/Orange County area, CA
Votes |
Rick H.#4 Marketing Your Property Contributor
  • Lender
  • Greater LA/Orange County area, CA
Replied Aug 7 2015, 14:47

@Sherri Southwell - suggest you double check to understand how a reverse mortgage works. 

In essence, it's an extension of credit to a qualifying senior who makes no payments as long as they remain in the property, until death. Interest continues to accrue and is added to the total outstanding debt.

Death or extended move triggers a "non-curable" breach, also known as a maturity event in RM lingo. Essentially, the loan is called and the balloon payment becomes due. 

Reinstatement is not available because of this balloon.

There was a guy going around so cal a few years ago convincing people to open probate and do a short sale when estate properties were upside down. 

The only one who benefitted were he and his followers; he succeeded in pissing off all the judges such that now we can't get priority of estate costs as superiority debt. Of course, I modified my documents years ago anticipating this issue and act accordingly.

If you are a real investor with money and the ability to close, you might find an opportunity when eventually listed. Absent that, I'd say your chances are slim.

Rent To Retirement logo
Rent To Retirement
|
Sponsored
Turnkey Rentals 12+ States. SFR, MF & New Builds, High ROI! 3.99% rates, 5% down loans, below market prices across the US! Txt REI to 33777