Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
Buying & Selling Real Estate

User Stats

Votes
Serge S.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Scottsdale, AZ
Votes |
Due on sale clause was called by bank!

Serge S.
  • Scottsdale, AZ
Posted Mar 22 2015, 11:48

I wanted to share a recent experience. I recently received a letter from one of my lenders (Flagstar bank) calling out a deed transfer I made around 2-3 years ago. I transferred a deed via quitclaim from my name into an LLC. The loan was secured in my name as it was one of my first 4 Fannie loans. They noticed that I had a named insured of my LLC added to my insurance. They first demanded that my insurance carrier change the named insured back into my name. Then I received a letter invoking the due on sale clause with a copy of the deed. They are giving me 30 days to transfer it back into my name and change the insurance accordingly. They will not accept mortgage payments in the mean time.

Wow - this is the first I've heard of a bank invoking the due on sale and it happened to me. I've made every payment on time with no issues. This gets me thinking of all the people that buy homes subject to the original mortgage. This situation would be an absolute nightmare if I had to unwind a transaction years later. I don't see how this could be a sustainable model with the due on sale threat constantly out there. All you hear is that the bank will never call the due on sale clause. Well it does happen.

User Stats

Votes
Varinder Kumar
Pro Member
  • Realtor
  • LA & ORANGE COUNTY CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Realtor
  • LA & ORANGE COUNTY CA
Replied Jan 2 2017, 07:49

How would this affect seller financing strategies? I would imagine you only have to be cautious if the loan still has a balance, correct?  I mean if it's free and clear then it doesn't matter right? Anyone please advise. Thanks.

User Stats

Votes
Roy N.
Pro Member
  • Fredericton, New Brunswick
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Fredericton, New Brunswick
ModeratorReplied Jan 2 2017, 12:17
Originally posted by @Varinder Kumar:

How would this affect seller financing strategies? I would imagine you only have to be cautious if the loan still has a balance, correct?  I mean if it's free and clear then it doesn't matter right? Anyone please advise. Thanks.

A Vendor carry only really works if the property is owned free and clear or if the balance of the existing mortgage(s) will be retired at the time of sale (ie. they are smaller than your downpayment and/or the vendor will be paying out the balance).

If there are still mortgage(s) against the property, you are really looking at a wrap and not a Vendor carry since he vendor is only a pass-through vessel.

NREIG  logo
NREIG
|
Sponsored
Customizable insurance coverage with a program that’s easy to use Add, edit, and remove properties from your account any time with no minimum-earned premiums.

User Stats

Votes
Joe Bruck
  • Brooklyn, NY
Votes |
  • Brooklyn, NY
Replied Oct 30 2017, 17:24
Originally posted by @Account Closed:

stop paying, gut the house/sell everything of value, break their loan obligation in bankruptcy, see how they feel then.

Ha ha! that's funny!

User Stats

Votes
Patrick I.
  • St Cloud, MN
Votes |
  • St Cloud, MN
Replied Nov 3 2017, 23:53

@Lynn M. Can you share how you did it? I am facing the same issue and not sure how to go about it. Lender will not allow transfer to LLC

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jun 26 2018, 11:59
Originally posted by @Adam Johnson:

@DeWayne Mann - the original poster, Serge, purchased/financed the property in his personal name, then quit-claimed it into his LLC for liability protection. In doing so, he violated one of the loan covenants. This may clarify things a little better. Your post seems to be more from the angle of him purchasing a property "subject to" the existing financing, but his particular situation is slightly different.

This problem could result in easier scenario and is, indeed, a very real problem when it comes up and one in which you need to be prepared to act quickly. If purchasing, you need to be prepared to "buy out" the original lender quickly. If you were the original borrower and acted as Serge had, then you need to be able to correct what was done.

As @Joel Owens stated, this is why I prefer to use portfolio lenders for all purchases made in the name of one of my LLC's. Portfolio loans, even on 2-4 family property, tend to be made under commercial terms and are therefore easier to work with as a professional investor. Using Fannie/Freddie may seem like a better option because it appears to be "cheaper" money, and it may be, but when you continue to run into walls with their guidelines, cheaper isn't always better.

Is a portfolio loan assumable? Can I wrap it? I want to purchase a residential property, and seller finance it at a higher interest rate and collect the spread after I pay back the original mortgage. What kind of loan can I get that wont come around to bite me in tbe rear later with a "due on sale" clause? I dont mind paying a higher interest rate so I can sleep at night. 

Account Closed
  • Investor
  • Scottsdale Austin Tuktoyaktuk
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Scottsdale Austin Tuktoyaktuk
Replied Apr 28 2023, 22:01
Quote from @Serge S.:

I wanted to share a recent experience. I recently received a letter from one of my lenders (Flagstar bank) calling out a deed transfer I made around 2-3 years ago. I transferred a deed via quitclaim from my name into an LLC. The loan was secured in my name as it was one of my first 4 Fannie loans. They noticed that I had a named insured of my LLC added to my insurance. They first demanded that my insurance carrier change the named insured back into my name. Then I received a letter invoking the due on sale clause with a copy of the deed. They are giving me 30 days to transfer it back into my name and change the insurance accordingly. They will not accept mortgage payments in the mean time.

Wow - this is the first I've heard of a bank invoking the due on sale and it happened to me. I've made every payment on time with no issues. This gets me thinking of all the people that buy homes subject to the original mortgage. This situation would be an absolute nightmare if I had to unwind a transaction years later. I don't see how this could be a sustainable model with the due on sale threat constantly out there. All you hear is that the bank will never call the due on sale clause. Well it does happen.

With Subject To - All things old are to become new again. Watch for loans being called due with rates going as high as they are. Better to collect 7.5% interest than 3.5%. Banks will call loans due and relend the money to other people at higher rates with new origination fees or simply add the money to their reserves to keep the Feds off their backs with "stress testing".