Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Buying & Selling Real Estate
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Amaris Benjamin
  • New to Real Estate
Votes |
Questions to ask Note buyers/sellers

Amaris Benjamin
  • New to Real Estate
Posted

I'm just starting out as a note broker and I want to make my first deal. There is so much info out there that's it's overwhelming and difficult to grasp everything. I dont have money to start a course but I've never been more passionate about a career path before and I want to make a deal, and use that first deal money to sign into a course to get a proper education on the whole subject. 

What questions should I be asking a note seller/buyer during the interactions until the closing. Or even tips I should be looking out for. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

User Stats

Votes
Chris Seveney
Pro Member
#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Replied

@Amaris Benjamin

As a note investor I would tell you being a broker is extremely challenging

Why?

1. The space is very very small and everyone knows everyone. Unlike real estate wholesaling of finding homes off market - notes are not off market

2. If you had a competitive advantage you need to understand note investing and how to do due diligence on it to see if it’s a legit note and feel for pricing expectations

Not saying it cannot be done but there are every few brokers in the space.

If you are trying to do this as a way to generate revenue, unfortunately I think you will be disappointed

User Stats

Votes
Amaris Benjamin
  • New to Real Estate
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
Replied

Thank you for letting me know. I guess it's more of an introductory for me to at least start somewhere. Even if I could just get a few deals enough to start up my other interests and business ideas, that would be great. I have to try something that would allow me to make money online because my currency is $7 to $1 US and the key a lot of the time is speed. So my focus is to try to build a larger sum of money compared to if I just concentrated my efforts on making money in my country. Even if i fail, I'd still like to try because i dont want to regret it and whatever i need to do to fight my way to financial freedom, or least start, id be willing to do. But this was definitely a reality check, thank you for responding to my comment. 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Amaris Benjamin
  • New to Real Estate
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
Replied

This was also the easiest way I found to get into real estate without having any money to begin with. I think that's what also has me going, because I definitely don't have the funds to start buying multi-family properties or anything else and I don't have a mentor to guide me through anything dealing with real estate. So with all the overwhelming info, I'm trying to figure it out. But if you know of any other way, or any other area that does not require a lot of funds to start,  I'd be very grateful for the advice and information as well.  

User Stats

Votes
Amaris Benjamin
  • New to Real Estate
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
Replied

Also, if you know anywhere, book or video where I can learn to do due diligence and the other things you mentioned, please let me know.

User Stats

Votes
Chris Seveney
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Replied
Quote from @Amaris Benjamin:

Also, if you know anywhere, book or video where I can learn to do due diligence and the other things you mentioned, please let me know.

Plenty of videos - go to youtube and note investing. I know a guy who looks like me who has a podcast and youtube channel and membership group, you have paperstac videos, @Jamie Bateman does one on one mentoring, @Dan Deppen has a due diligence course.

PS: One note investor with initials SC who has lots of youtube - be careful and you can easily check his reviews out on BP

User Stats

Votes
Jamie Bateman
  • Investor
  • Baltimore County, MD
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Baltimore County, MD
Replied

@Amaris Benjamin any of the options @Chris Seveney mentioned would be solid starting points. Also, Fred and Tracy Rewey have training specifically geared toward note brokering. Noteinvestor dot com. @Tracy Z. Rewey

User Stats

Votes
Tracy Z. Rewey
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Orlando, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Orlando, FL
Replied
Quote from @Jamie Bateman:

@Amaris Benjamin any of the options @Chris Seveney mentioned would be solid starting points. Also, Fred and Tracy Rewey have training specifically geared toward note brokering. Noteinvestor dot com. @Tracy Z. Rewey

Thanks Jamie for the mention. If you want to refer notes to investors, the key is to get good at sourcing deals.  Most off-market type deals will come from mom and pop seller financed notes. Trying to broker any type of bank paper or portfolios will be very competitive and difficult as Chris mentioned.

User Stats

Votes
Amaris Benjamin
  • New to Real Estate
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
Replied
Quote from @Tracy Z. Rewey:

Thanks Jamie for the mention. If you want to refer notes to investors, the key is to get good at sourcing deals.  Most off-market type deals will come from mom and pop seller financed notes. Trying to broker any type of bank paper or portfolios will be very competitive and difficult as Chris mentioned.

Is there any place where I could get those mom and pop seller financed notes? And thank you for the advice. 

User Stats

Votes
Amaris Benjamin
  • New to Real Estate
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
Replied
Quote from @Chris Seveney:

Thank you so much for all the advice, i will go check them out.

Plenty of videos - go to youtube and note investing. I know a guy who looks like me who has a podcast and youtube channel and membership group, you have paperstac videos, @Jamie Bateman does one on one mentoring, @Dan Deppen has a due diligence course.

PS: One note investor with initials SC who has lots of youtube - be careful and you can easily check his reviews out on BP

User Stats

Votes
Amaris Benjamin
  • New to Real Estate
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
Replied

Thank you very much for the response and also the additional info because I know it will definitely be helpful on my learning journey. I will be sure to look at them.

User Stats

Votes
Jay Hinrichs
Professional Services
Pro Member
#2 All Forums Contributor
  • Lender
  • Lake Oswego OR Summerlin, NV
Votes |
Professional Services
Pro Member
#2 All Forums Contributor
  • Lender
  • Lake Oswego OR Summerlin, NV
Replied

Thank you very much for the response and also the additional info because I know it will definitely be helpful on my learning journey. I will be sure to look at them.

Amaris,  the folks that responded to you are in the note business with a lot experience etc.

And they are being very kind and gentle with their thoughts etc..

The reality is this is virtually impossible for someone with no background or experience in Note space no capital and lives off shore.

IMHO I would go looking for a Job working for those in the Note space. There is business to be had buying owner carry mortgages and deeds of trust.. I know i get letters every time I sell something and take back a mortgage/deed of trust.

And this type of business has a lot of parallels to wholesaling real estate. You need the connections or manpower to scour the counties recorders offices for seller carry backs then build a data base of those.. then you have to try to skip trace or other methods to get to the Beneficiary of those notes. Or you simply do what wholesalers do and send out mailers offering to buy the note. A lot of the notes are going to be on bare land though.. Either way you probably have to contact 100 to 1000 note holders to get one deal.. Then you have to be able to see what the note will sell for on the open market to buyers.. Land Notes sell but at a much steeper discount and return to the investor buying it.

So for you maybe you figure out how to do this and bird dog for actual note buyers and see if you get any traction .. However to compete with institutional or notes from banks etc.. again no offense but I think you have zero chance of success doing that..

User Stats

Votes
Amaris Benjamin
  • New to Real Estate
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
Replied
Quote from @Jay Hinrichs:

Amaris,  the folks that responded to you are in the note business with a lot experience etc.

And they are being very kind and gentle with their thoughts etc..

The reality is this is virtually impossible for someone with no background or experience in Note space no capital and lives off shore.

IMHO I would go looking for a Job working for those in the Note space. There is business to be had buying owner carry mortgages and deeds of trust.. I know i get letters every time I sell something and take back a mortgage/deed of trust.

And this type of business has a lot of parallels to wholesaling real estate. You need the connections or manpower to scour the counties recorders offices for seller carry backs then build a data base of those.. then you have to try to skip trace or other methods to get to the Beneficiary of those notes. Or you simply do what wholesalers do and send out mailers offering to buy the note. A lot of the notes are going to be on bare land though.. Either way you probably have to contact 100 to 1000 note holders to get one deal.. Then you have to be able to see what the note will sell for on the open market to buyers.. Land Notes sell but at a much steeper discount and return to the investor buying it.

So for you maybe you figure out how to do this and bird dog for actual note buyers and see if you get any traction .. However to compete with institutional or notes from banks etc.. again no offense but I think you have zero chance of success doing that..

Thank you for the dose of reality. I did not know I could do that. I was just moving forward with all the information I had gotten. I have no problems working for another in the note business. I just didn't know how or where to start, who could be trusted, what I should be doing, etc. But I'm glad I'm getting this information now. I understood most of what you said and I would try to find companies? Or individuals who are in that space. If you know where I can start or who are some goods persons or companies or where to even get such info, I'd be extremely grateful.  Thank you very much for your response and consideration.  

BiggerPockets logo
Network With Property Managers
|
BiggerPockets
Partnering with a property manager before you buy will boost your bottom line. Match and mingle with top property managers now!

User Stats

Votes
Chris Seveney
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Replied

@Amaris Benjamin

Post here on the forums and join some Facebook groups asking people if they need help

I have hired people that way in the past (not looking now)

@jamie Bateman has hired off BiggerPockets I believe as well as Dan Deppen

Not sure who is looking - but if you want to know if someone is legit just ask me I will tell you.

User Stats

Votes
Amaris Benjamin
  • New to Real Estate
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
Replied
Quote from @Chris Seveney:

@Amaris Benjamin

Post here on the forums and join some Facebook groups asking people if they need help

I have hired people that way in the past (not looking now)

@jamie Bateman has hired off BiggerPockets I believe as well as Dan Deppen

Not sure who is looking - but if you want to know if someone is legit just ask me  

I would start doing that. I would be sure to reach put if anyone is willing to collaborate. Thank you in advance for your assistance, I appreciate it.