Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Buying & Selling Real Estate
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Caleb Webb
Votes |
Capital gains question

Caleb Webb
Posted Jul 20 2024, 07:19

I have a condo i bought about 8 years ago. I lived in it the first 2 years then had to move for work. I rented it out to a friend and have hardly made any profit after hoa and mortgage. It's worth about $150,000 more than I bought it for. My question is, would I owe the full 20% capital gains tax on that amount?

User Stats

Votes
Greg Scott
Pro Member
#5 Buying & Selling Real Estate Contributor
  • Rental Property Investor
  • SE Michigan
Votes |
Pro Member
#5 Buying & Selling Real Estate Contributor
  • Rental Property Investor
  • SE Michigan
Replied Jul 20 2024, 07:29

There are many ways to avoid taxes, so nobody can give you a complete answer without knowing your entire tax situation.

If your only taxable item was selling this condo, you would owe long-term capital gains on the $150,000 plus ordinary income on depreciation recapture.

User Stats

Votes
Caleb Webb
Votes |
Replied Jul 20 2024, 07:40
Quote from @Greg Scott:

There are many ways to avoid taxes, so nobody can give you a complete answer without knowing your entire tax situation.

If your only taxable item was selling this condo, you would owe long-term capital gains on the $150,000 plus ordinary income on depreciation recapture.

I’ve been renting since I moved out. I would be using the equity to purchase a new house for myself and my parents (they’re older now and need help)

BAM Capital  logo
BAM Capital
|
Sponsored
Your Path to Generational Wealth We offer wealth-building and income-producing real estate opportunities for accredited investors.

User Stats

Votes
Basit Siddiqi
Pro Member
  • Accountant
  • New York, NY
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Accountant
  • New York, NY
Replied Jul 22 2024, 04:12

Your taxable income may be more than $150,000 since you have to factor in depreciation.

You can potentially consider doing a 1031 exchange.

User Stats

Votes
Corby Goade
Property Manager
Agent
  • Investor
  • Boise, ID
Votes |
Property Manager
Agent
  • Investor
  • Boise, ID
Replied Jul 22 2024, 04:51

You've lost your primary exemption, it's been too long since you've lived there. You would owe capital gains, but no way for us to tell how much, you need a tax pro. 

That being said- you have TONS of equity, so you are in a really great spot, that gives you options. 

First and foremost- why not just get your rents up to market rates? Would that make this a reasonable buy and hold? If this tenant is actually a friend, surely they'll understand your position and either pay the higher rent or find another place so you can get up to market rents. If you don't have the stomach for that, hire an excellent property manager and let them be the bad guy. 

If you do choose to sell, without knowing much more detail about you or your market, I'd suggest a 1031 exchage in to one or two other units that have numbers that work better for you. 

Best of luck!

User Stats

Votes
Dave Foster
Pro Member
#1 1031 Exchanges Contributor
  • Qualified Intermediary for 1031 Exchanges
  • St. Petersburg, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 1031 Exchanges Contributor
  • Qualified Intermediary for 1031 Exchanges
  • St. Petersburg, FL
Replied Jul 23 2024, 14:29

@Caleb Webb You're past the point to qualify and exclude any tax using the primary residence exclusion. And would have to pay the gain tax as well as recapture of depreciation on the property. If you decided to sell and purchase another investment property you would be able to do a 1031 exchange, and defer all the tax and the recapture. This would allow you to use the tax and find an area with a greater growth and cash flow potential.