Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Buying & Selling Real Estate
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Franck Armand
  • New to Real Estate
  • Georgia
Votes |
West End, East Atlanta Village, or East Lake for Investment Properties?

Franck Armand
  • New to Real Estate
  • Georgia
Posted Jul 4 2024, 14:39

Hi there!

I am new to the world of real estate investing and am eager to get started. I've always viewed real estate as a fantastic way to build wealth and achieve a sense of purpose and freedom through the cash flow it generates. I'm now ready to take the plunge and begin my journey. My focus is on Georgia, where I plan to build a diverse portfolio across various parts of the state.

My strategy involves long-term rentals (LTRs), buying and holding properties, and seeking both cash flow and future capital appreciation. After speaking with a few friends and realtors, I've been advised that the West End, East Atlanta Village, and East Lake areas hold great potential, particularly for higher rents and positive cash flow (>$2,800+). However, my research indicates that these areas have had issues with crime and might be considered rough.

Despite this, I understand that these neighborhoods are undergoing significant reconstruction and gentrification projects. I want to know if these areas remain desirable for investment if they are safe, and if they offer strong prospects for future appreciation. My goal is to avoid luxury or extremely expensive communities, as I believe the rental income wouldn't justify the high property prices.

I'm particularly interested in up-and-coming neighborhoods with significant potential for property value growth.

Here are my questions for the community. I understand the list is extensive, so please feel free to answer any that you can based on your experiences and insights:

1. Should I proceed with investing heavily in these locations?

2. Which of these areas—West End, East Atlanta Village, or East Lake—has the highest potential?

3. Are these locations safe and worthwhile for investment?

4. Are there other parts of Atlanta you would recommend for potential investments?

5. What specific indicators should I look for to gauge the future appreciation potential of a neighborhood?

6. How do current rental yields in these areas compare to other neighborhoods in Atlanta?

7. Can you share any personal experiences or success stories related to investing in these areas?

8. What are the key factors driving gentrification in West End, East Atlanta Village, and East Lake?

9. Are there any upcoming infrastructure projects or developments that could impact property values in these neighborhoods?

10. How do property management companies perceive these areas in terms of tenant quality and rental stability?

11. What are the most common challenges investors face in these neighborhoods, and how can they be mitigated?

12. How has the demographic profile of these areas changed over the past few years, and what trends are expected to continue?

13. Are there any local policies or regulations that could affect real estate investments in these neighborhoods?

14. What are the vacancy rates like in West End, East Atlanta Village, and East Lake?

15. How do property taxes and insurance rates in these areas compare to other parts of Atlanta?

I aim to close on my first properties within the next 4-5 months and would greatly appreciate your insights and feedback to complement my research.

Thank you in advance!

User Stats

Votes
Michael Dumler
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Atlanta, GA
Replied Jul 5 2024, 09:44

@Franck Armand, I'm not sure who informed you, but those respective markets are all well past the gentrification phase. They will not provide cash flow unless you're acquiring a deal below market value or putting a significant amount of capital down. With that in mind, if you are still interested in these areas, it will, by and large, be an appreciation-based investment. 

I'll message you to discuss actual markets still within the gentrification phase I've observed that will have a much lower acquisition cost.