Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Buying & Selling Real Estate
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Ben Mardis
  • New to Real Estate
  • Snohomish County, WA
Votes |
Edit* Have any buyers in Washington actually paid the broker commission?

Ben Mardis
  • New to Real Estate
  • Snohomish County, WA
Posted Jun 19 2024, 14:35

Hi all,

I just met with a real estate broker and they let me know that in Washington the buyer is technically responsible for paying the buyers broker commission upon closing. He told me that he always gets the seller to pay though.

Is this a Washington thing or am I not understanding correctly? I thought the seller and buyers broker split the commission.

User Stats

Votes
Ty Coutts
Lender
  • Lender
Votes |
Lender
  • Lender
Replied Jun 25 2024, 11:34

Hello, Ben Mardis, here are the specifics for Washington State:

Buyer’s Responsibility: Technically, the buyer is responsible for paying their broker's commission. However, it's common practice for the seller to cover this cost. This means that the buyer's broker’s commission is usually taken care of as part of the overall transaction, similar to the standard practice mentioned above.

Broker’s Agreement: The buyer's agent will typically negotiate this arrangement upfront, ensuring that the seller covers the commission from the sale proceeds. It’s part of the agent's duties to make this clear in the purchase agreement or the buyer's brokerage agreement.

Clarification: The broker you met with was likely emphasizing that, according to the letter of the law or the standard contract language, the buyer is technically responsible for their agent's commission. However, in practice, the broker always negotiates for the seller to pay this commission.

Negotiation Tactics: Good brokers negotiate to ensure that the buyer is not out of pocket for their agent’s commission, aligning with common practices and making the process easier for the buyer.

How to navigate this:

Ask for Clarification: If you’re unsure or need reassurance, ask your broker to explain how the commission will be handled in your specific transaction.

Review Agreements: Carefully review the buyer’s brokerage agreement and the purchase agreement to ensure that the commission details are clear and that the seller is covering the buyer’s agent commission as negotiated.

User Stats

Votes
Steve Vaughan#1 Personal Finance Contributor
  • Rental Property Investor
  • East Wenatchee, WA
Votes |
Steve Vaughan#1 Personal Finance Contributor
  • Rental Property Investor
  • East Wenatchee, WA
Replied Jul 14 2024, 15:09

The only industry where you, as seller, for decades were expected to pay for the other team's coach. 

Can you imagine if it was that way in sports? Or court? 

Now, as seller, you may pay for your opponents coach/counsel/agent, but at least it's a negotiated concession.

Here is $15k Mr/Mrs Buyer.  That's it.  Use it to buy-down your loan, offset some closing costs, or pay your coach.

I love that it forces buyers to realize their agent isn't free to them.  Bonus if you buy solo, it will now be recognized and we can use our seller concessions to buy down our rate or whatnot. 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes