Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Buying & Selling Real Estate
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Zafer Avsar
Votes |
to buy a house from Turkey

Zafer Avsar
Posted Jun 18 2024, 08:10

I currently reside in Turkey, but approximately 28 years ago, I was living in Long Island, NY. At that time, 
used to be a vendor at Attias Flia Market in Sayville. I held a bank account with Northfolk Bank. However, I believe that another bank acquired Northfolk Bank recently, resulting in the loss of my checking account and credit history. As I am in the process of setting up an LLC in one of the 50 states, I will require a new bank account. I never anticipated that the bank where I held an account would be acquired by another institution, leading to the disappearance of my account.

I want to buy a house in of those 50 states, but I think I need a credit history. SinceI possess a social security number, and I am wondering if it is possible to open a new account remotely and online. 

In other words, in order to buy a house for investment, what kind of road map shall I follow?

Thank you in advance for your assistance. 

User Stats

Votes
AJ Wong
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Oregon & California Coasts
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Oregon & California Coasts
Replied Jun 18 2024, 08:36

Hi Zafer, as an international investor you can purchase a property without a SS#. Generally 25% down payment is required but no credit required. Check in with @Joseph Chiofalo for what is referred to as a 'Foreign national' mortgage. 

Fathom Realty  Logo

User Stats

Votes
Joseph Chiofalo
Lender
  • Banker
  • Melville, NY
Votes |
Lender
  • Banker
  • Melville, NY
Replied Jun 18 2024, 10:59

Hi Zafer, 

What price points would you be targeting for these properties? 

Most lenders will require at least 25% for a 1-4 unit property.  No social security number would be required. 

Do you currently own any real estate in Turkey? 

BiggerPockets logo
Network With Property Managers
|
BiggerPockets
Partnering with a property manager before you buy will boost your bottom line. Match and mingle with top property managers now!

User Stats

Votes
Mohammed Rahman
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • New York, NY
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • New York, NY
Replied Jun 18 2024, 10:59

Hey @Zafer Avsar - I'm a broker and investor in NYC/LI. I've worked with similar situations before with clients abroad purchasing property in NY. 

In terms of opening a bank account, most of them will ask for a local address but a lot of the online banks may not verify it. 

FYI - you can purchase property without necessarily having a local bank account or credit history. The US is one of the few places where even foreign nationals can purchase real estate without too many complications. 

User Stats

Votes
Zafer Avsar
Votes |
Replied Jun 18 2024, 15:12
Quote from @Joseph Chiofalo:

Hi Zafer, 

What price points would you be targeting for these properties? 

Most lenders will require at least 25% for a 1-4 unit property.  No social security number would be required. 

Do you currently own any real estate in Turkey? 

Yes I own a home and a few acres here. Actually, I am not sure about the price now. It depends on how much I can sell my land here.