Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
Buying & Selling Real Estate

User Stats

Votes
Faaz Hafid
  • Investor
  • Andover MA
Votes |
Is this property a good investment? (Pittsfield MA)

Faaz Hafid
  • Investor
  • Andover MA
Posted May 15 2024, 13:52

I'm considering purchasing a property located at 243 Robbins Ave, Pittsfield, MA 01201 (link: realtor.com listing). The property seems very appropriately priced based on all the upgrades and already has a tenant. Would love to get some insights on whether this is a good investment. Any advice or things I should be aware of? 

Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied May 16 2024, 05:16
Quote from @Faaz Hafid:

I'm considering purchasing a property located at 243 Robbins Ave, Pittsfield, MA 01201 (link: realtor.com listing). The property seems very appropriately priced based on all the upgrades and already has a tenant. Would love to get some insights on whether this is a good investment. Any advice or things I should be aware of? 

Thanks!

A quick search reveals this is a high-crime area.

User Stats

Votes
Faaz Hafid
  • Investor
  • Andover MA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Andover MA
Replied May 16 2024, 05:25
Quote from @Nathan Gesner:
Quote from @Faaz Hafid:

Thanks!

A quick search reveals this is a high-crime area.

Thanks, care to share what tools did you use? And if it’s exclusive to realtors? Also I believe it’s priced lower due to the area, I’m not going to be living there so it doesn’t really matter I just think with potential rental income it might be worth it because I wouldn’t be getting a mortgage but buying out all cash.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied May 16 2024, 05:35
Quote from @Faaz Hafid:

There are many versions, but I checked this one: https://crimegrade.org/violent-crime-pittsfield-ma/

Crime affects your ability to find quality renters. It will also affect the appreciation of the property. In a high-crime area, you will attract low-quality renters who are more likely to cause problems. The risk of high turnover, theft, vandalism, squatters, and all other negatives will increase.

User Stats

Votes
Dave Meyer
Pro Member
  • VP Data & Analytics at BiggerPockets
  • Amsterdam, NL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Amsterdam, NL
Replied May 16 2024, 05:45

@Faaz Hafid the only way to know if a deal is a good investment or not is to run the numbers. If you do that and share the results here, I think you'll have more members of the community happy to weigh in. With just an address its tough to say. 

User Stats

Votes
Faaz Hafid
  • Investor
  • Andover MA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Andover MA
Replied May 16 2024, 07:25
Quote from @Dave Meyer:

@Faaz Hafid the only way to know if a deal is a good investment or not is to run the numbers. If you do that and share the results here, I think you'll have more members of the community happy to weigh in. With just an address its tough to say. 

I haven't done this as this is going to be my very first property, please feel free to ask any questions:

Potential Rental Income: $1000/- month (Right now through housing, but rent is due for increase)

Taxes: $2600/-

Utilities Water/Sewer: $800/- (Rest of the utilities are paid by tenant)

Purchase Price: $124,900/-

User Stats

Votes
Dave Meyer
Pro Member
  • Amsterdam, NL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Amsterdam, NL
Replied May 16 2024, 07:51

Hey @Faaz Hafid no worries, good place to come when you're new. 

You should try out the BiggerPockets calculators -- that will help you understand more objectively what type of returns you'll earn. It will help you understand what expenses you need to account for (more than what you have above). We have tons of videos and some webinars than can help you with the calculators if you've never done it before. 

User Stats

Votes
Replied May 17 2024, 12:20

The area and crime statistics can be offset by your tolerance to problems.  I would be more concerned with the quality of tenant in place and payment history.  If its truly "turn-key", go for it. The entry cost for this is relatively low