Buyers touching personal property

Buyers touching personal property

Member since 2024 · 4 posts · 2 votes

My husband and I are selling our house that we are currently still living in. We have security cameras set up inside and outside, that are on the disclosures so buyers are aware of them, and that they are being recorded. We do not watch or listen to people as they are in our house, but we recently had some things out of place and went back and checked our cameras. One of the groups viewing our house let their children have free range in our home. The realtor stayed downstairs, sitting on the arm of our couch, while the family (one of which who had a backpack) walked around our house alone. We don’t have cameras throughout the whole house, so we could not see everything they did, but we did see the kids climbing on our child’s bed and jumping on it. We saw the man with a backpack walk into a room by himself. The kids were grabbing toys, playing with them, and tossing them around, leaving a messy trail wherever they went. Then the realtor left while the clients viewed the outside of our property. I get that people will open closets, cabinets, use the bathroom, etc. and we are fine with that, but is it normal, and more importantly acceptable for people to let their children do the things they did? And for the realtor to leave while their client is still on the property? Maybe I am just easily bothered by these things, but it felt kind of violating. 

1Reply
50 views

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Abel CurielBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Queens, NY · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Jennifer Shaw:

    My husband and I are selling our house that we are currently still living in. We have security cameras set up inside and outside, that are on the disclosures so buyers are aware of them, and that they are being recorded. We do not watch or listen to people as they are in our house, but we recently had some things out of place and went back and checked our cameras. One of the groups viewing our house let their children have free range in our home. The realtor stayed downstairs, sitting on the arm of our couch, while the family (one of which who had a backpack) walked around our house alone. We don’t have cameras throughout the whole house, so we could not see everything they did, but we did see the kids climbing on our child’s bed and jumping on it. We saw the man with a backpack walk into a room by himself. The kids were grabbing toys, playing with them, and tossing them around, leaving a messy trail wherever they went. Then the realtor left while the clients viewed the outside of our property. I get that people will open closets, cabinets, use the bathroom, etc. and we are fine with that, but is it normal, and more importantly acceptable for people to let their children do the things they did? And for the realtor to leave while their client is still on the property? Maybe I am just easily bothered by these things, but it felt kind of violating. 

    Hello Jennifer,

    I assume this was a private showing and not an Open House. During Open houses where families roam freely, this is bound to happen unfortunately.

    This would be unacceptable if it were a private showing with only one set of buyers and a buyer's agent accompanying them.

    I have young children, and if I tell them ten times to keep their hands to themselves, they might still forget and give in to the urge to touch some toys. That is totally normal. However, the parents and/or Realtor should be close enough to prevent things from getting out of hand.

     
    I don't anticipate this happening again, but if you feel it might, I'd make sure expectations are set with agents before each showing. You may also want to pack up any valuables and store them away safely (especially for the rooms without cameras) for peace of mind during future showings.

    All the best to you on your home sale!

    Abel

    REbuild Team - eXp Realty5234 Reviews
  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    2y

    If it was a private showing, the realtor may have left after they locked the house up.  As for kids, some kids are better behaved than others and parents should know to watch their kids and remind them that this is not their house and not to touch things (young kids are kids, so it is up to their parents to tell them to stop) or they shouldn't bring them to a showing.

    Talk to your realtor and tell them that you want realtors showing the house to go with the people.  I'd also make sure any valuables are safely locked up because some people use viewings to case the house and come back later and steal stuff.  Most of the time people will open doors to closets and cupboards, turn water on and off; but they shouldn't be going through dressers and definitely should not allow their kids to jump on beds.  I've also had realtors at showings ask people to take their shoes off (which is the norm for me) and I've had some that tell me to leave my shoes on (which I won't do).

  • Member since 2024 · 4 posts · 2 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Abel Curiel:
    Quote from @Jennifer Shaw:

    My husband and I are selling our house that we are currently still living in. We have security cameras set up inside and outside, that are on the disclosures so buyers are aware of them, and that they are being recorded. We do not watch or listen to people as they are in our house, but we recently had some things out of place and went back and checked our cameras. One of the groups viewing our house let their children have free range in our home. The realtor stayed downstairs, sitting on the arm of our couch, while the family (one of which who had a backpack) walked around our house alone. We don’t have cameras throughout the whole house, so we could not see everything they did, but we did see the kids climbing on our child’s bed and jumping on it. We saw the man with a backpack walk into a room by himself. The kids were grabbing toys, playing with them, and tossing them around, leaving a messy trail wherever they went. Then the realtor left while the clients viewed the outside of our property. I get that people will open closets, cabinets, use the bathroom, etc. and we are fine with that, but is it normal, and more importantly acceptable for people to let their children do the things they did? And for the realtor to leave while their client is still on the property? Maybe I am just easily bothered by these things, but it felt kind of violating. 

    Hello Jennifer,

    I assume this was a private showing and not an Open House. During Open houses where families roam freely, this is bound to happen unfortunately.

    This would be unacceptable if it were a private showing with only one set of buyers and a buyer's agent accompanying them.

    I have young children, and if I tell them ten times to keep their hands to themselves, they might still forget and give in to the urge to touch some toys. That is totally normal. However, the parents and/or Realtor should be close enough to prevent things from getting out of hand.

     
    I don't anticipate this happening again, but if you feel it might, I'd make sure expectations are set with agents before each showing. You may also want to pack up any valuables and store them away safely (especially for the rooms without cameras) for peace of mind during future showings.

    All the best to you on your home sale!

    Abel

    Hi Abel, 

    Thanks so much for your response. Yes, it was a private showing. I have children as well, and I completely understand how things may look appealing to them.  I am even fine with them touching a toy or two, but it was the getting into the bed (with shoes on) and bouncing around and throwing toys is what shocked and bothered me the most. Hopefully is was a one off and won’t happen again. We do have all of our valuables at a different location, and we have depersonalized the home. Thanks again so much for your feedback! 

    Jennifer 
     

  • Member since 2024 · 4 posts · 2 votes
    2y

    Hi Theresa, 

    Thank you very much for your input. I have talked to my realtor and asked that he ask request that realtors showing the house stay with their clients. Luckily we have moved all of our valuables to a different location, so that is one less thing to worry about. Hoping the kids jumping on the bed and throwing toys was a one off and won’t happen again. Thanks again. I appreciate your response. 

  • JD MartinBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Jennifer Shaw:

    Hi Theresa, 

    Thank you very much for your input. I have talked to my realtor and asked that he ask request that realtors showing the house stay with their clients. Luckily we have moved all of our valuables to a different location, so that is one less thing to worry about. Hoping the kids jumping on the bed and throwing toys was a one off and won’t happen again. Thanks again. I appreciate your response. 


     Also keep in mind that you are certainly able to discuss this with your agent that you would like him/her to be present at all showings. This may limit your showings to some extent, since now you will need to get two agents together simultaneously, but you do not have to show your home through unknown agents without your agent being present. 

    Skyline Properties
    View Page
  • Member since 2024 · 4 posts · 2 votes
    2y

    Hi JD, 


    Thanks so much for that info. I was not aware of that. 

  • Joe S.Pro Member
    Investor · San Antonio · Member since 2020 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    2y

    I sense your frustration. People touring a house can be mighty inconsiderate. I know in the sense that you’re referring to this being your personal house with your personal belongings, but even potential renters are disrespectful of other peoples houses.

    If it’s muddy outside, don’t be shocked if they don’t walk around the outside first before going on the inside without taking off their shoes at the door. 

    I’ve had properties that were empty and vacant and the water was cut off.  And people would still take a dump with no way to flush their logs.😱  So we had to start taping the commode lids shut with clear tape and putting a sign on the commode that the water was off so please don’t use.

    I know it’s frustrating for people to  disrespect someone else’s property/ house , but it is what it. 

  • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
    2y

    Your agent should have prepped you for the fact of how people behave, especially how kids would act in a house.  I've had a number of sellers who ask that you view the house without the kids in tow.

    All valuables and medications should be removed from the premises. 

  • V.G JasonPro Member
    Investor · Member since 2022 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    2y

    No little kids in, unless seller's agent is present too or they sign a waiver. 

  • Investor · WNY/CNY/Adirondacks, New York State · Member since 2024 · 151 posts · 133 votes
    2y

    I have a little different perspective on this and it comes more from selling in a down market, so it's not necessarily applicable.  When a family comes to see the home, the kids do spread out and explore. This especially happens if the house is a good fit for the family.  The realtors know to give buyers some space so a family can start to feel like the house could be their house and so they are more likely to buy it. Normally the realtor will walk through the house with the family first like they are exploring too.  But the realtor will give time for families to really dwell in the space and think about how their furniture will fit and how it will feel to live there.

    I'm assuming that the buyers are preapproved and ready to put a deposit down otherwise the realtors wouldn't be wasting anyone's time, hopefully.  The kids shouldn't be jumping on the bed, that's unfortunate.  However, the end goal is to sell the house.  When I sold my house in a down market, I didn't care if the kids were playing with our toys and sitting on the beds as long as it sold the house.  If the kids don't get a good feeling from the house, they will talk their parents out of buying it. 

    You kind of have to stop thinking of it as your home during a showing.  If this family felt so comfortable in the house, I would expect they'd make an offer.  And that's what you want, right?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.