Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Mobile Home Park Investing
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Van Tran
Votes |
Mobile home park investment

Van Tran
Posted Sep 6 2022, 09:40
Hello all,
I am brand new to the forum. I live in Portland, Oregon. We are looking around to buy small land and rent out for mobile home park. Is it a good idea for mobile park investment?
I have two properties and plan to sell one out so I can have some cash on hand for other investments. Is it better to keep the home for rental property and find other sources to fund for future investments since we want to invest in rental properties?

Sincerely,

Van

User Stats

Votes
Erik Estrada
Lender
#2 Mortgage Brokers & Lenders Contributor
  • Lender
Votes |
Lender
  • Lender
Replied Sep 6 2022, 09:55
Quote from @Van Tran:
Hello all,
I am brand new to the forum. I live in Portland, Oregon. We are looking around to buy small land and rent out for mobile home park. Is it a good idea for mobile park investment?
I have two properties and plan to sell one out so I can have some cash on hand for other investments. Is it better to keep the home for rental property and find other sources to fund for future investments since we want to invest in rental properties?

Sincerely,

Van

Hey Van! Are you planning on using the cash to buy the land outright? Or are you planning to finance the land and then convert it to a mobile home park?

User Stats

Votes
Van Tran
Votes |
Replied Sep 6 2022, 10:12

Erik,

Thank you for taking the time and replying my questions. I do not have cash on hand that is why i am planning on selling my second home because interest rate is crazy high right now. I personally don't want to sell the home and want to rent it out because we are looking to invest in rental property.

Sincerely,

Van

CV3 Financial logo
CV3 Financial
|
Sponsored
Fix & Flip | DSCR | Construction Loans Up to 90% LTV - Up to 80% Cash Out - No Income Verification - No Seasoning Requirements

User Stats

Votes
Erik Estrada
Lender
  • Lender
Votes |
Lender
  • Lender
Replied Sep 6 2022, 10:45
Quote from @Van Tran:

Erik,

Thank you for taking the time and replying my questions. I do not have cash on hand that is why i am planning on selling my second home because interest rate is crazy high right now. I personally don't want to sell the home and want to rent it out because we are looking to invest in rental property.

Sincerely,

Van

Ah I see. Rates are relatively high compared to last year. Selling when you don't have to would mean losing on potential appreciation over time and rents increasing because of the market. Do you have tenants in place for this property? Are the market rents higher than what you are leasing it out for? If the numbers make sense, exploring a DSCR cash out refi could make sense, in the long run.

User Stats

Votes
Van Tran
Votes |
Replied Sep 6 2022, 11:04

The house is up for sale now so there is no tenant at this time. 

User Stats

Votes
Dallas Regimbal
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Oregon
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Oregon
Replied Sep 6 2022, 11:24

@Van Tran Mobile home parks as an investment have become very popular in recent years and can be a good investment. I would say in your case since you're wanting to buy land and then turn it into a mobile home park you'll want to do due diligence on looking into not only zoning and laws but also the supply and demand of mobile home parks in the market you're looking to purchase the land. For your next question regarding if you should keep or sell your rental property, I would say it depends on your long term goals. If you are wanting to continue investing in rental properties as well as mobile homes them I would suggest keeping the rental and using a loan to purchase the land. This of course is only if you have done your due diligence and you know there is demand to justify your numbers and it aligns with your long term goals. I hope this helps!

User Stats

Votes
Benjamin Maciel
  • Investor
Votes |
  • Investor
Replied Sep 8 2022, 06:49

Hi Van sent you a Dm. This is something I am pursuing currently. I live in North Plains, OR so pretty close!