Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Questions About BiggerPockets & Official Site Announcements
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Mindy Jensen
Pro Member
  • BiggerPockets Money Podcast Host
  • Longmont, CO
Votes |
Ep 276: Early Retirement by Age 35 ($10k/mo) Through Real Estate

Mindy Jensen
Pro Member
  • BiggerPockets Money Podcast Host
  • Longmont, CO
ModeratorPosted

Why work at a lame job until you’re too old to enjoy the life you’ve been given? If you are looking to get out of the rat race earlier, this is one episode you can’t afford to miss. Today on The BiggerPockets Podcast, we sit down with Bryce Stewart, a former school teacher who was able to quit his job at age 35 through the smart purchases of small multifamily properties. Bryce shares his powerful story on how he was able to build a portfolio of 22 units that give him $10,000 per month in income. Bryce also shares a phenomenal concept he called “vacuuming the truck,” which could change the way you think about real estate (and life) forever.

Listen here or on your favorite podcast app.

User Stats

Votes
Replied

Your Welcome Shane,

Look for the 4 d's.  Death, Disease, Disaster and Divorce those are the very motivated sellers.  They is to follow up and stay on them because more money is lost in the lack of the follow up.  There is no perfect deal.  

Also remember the 5 needs of every transaction, 

1-How much are they asking

2-What do you think the property is worth

3-Terms other than cash

4-Your exit strategy

5-What are the needs of the seller

These 2 components will help you to go far! 

All the Best

Mel Feller

Account Closed
Votes |
Replied

While I liked the episode ok,  it seems that BP podcast has lost its greatness over the last year or so. In fact, I can't make it through a whole episode anymore without fast forwarding or turning it off.

I think it is partially due to the frequent changing of hosts and the loss? of @Joshua Dorkin I also think it is due to some lack of a plan (outline). Unless I am remembering incorrectly, it used to dig deep into the specifics of how the guest ran their business. It also had more of a structured timeline of the guests REI story. Nowadays, it just kinda flows wherever the guest takes it.

This guest was still awesome, so it is not a dig on him by any means. 

CV3 Financial logo
CV3 Financial
|
Sponsored
Fix & Flip | DSCR | Construction Loans Up to 90% LTV - Up to 80% Cash Out - No Income Verification - No Seasoning Requirements

User Stats

Votes
Nancy P.
  • Naperville, IL
Votes |
  • Naperville, IL
Replied

Shane,  Mel is right.  There IS no perfect deal.  You're losing money on the good deals while you wait for the excellent one.  Jump in!  We were 49 and 48 when we started 8 years ago.  Just bought our 10th property and kicking ourselves for not being more aggressive.  Husband likes his job--we're on assignment in Germany but still buying back home and teaching our kids the business.  Good to know he could retire anytime if he wanted.  We plan to have at least  five more doors before he turns 62 in 2022.  But I'm shooting for ten.

User Stats

Votes
Patrick Olownia
  • Lakeville, MN
Votes |
  • Lakeville, MN
Replied

Have listened to this podcast 3 times now. Love it!

#Vacuum The Truck

User Stats

Votes
Shane Ward
  • Albrightsville, PA
Votes |
  • Albrightsville, PA
Replied

Great talking with you Hunter! Hunter really cleared up a lot for me. Thank you

User Stats

Votes
Shane Ward
  • Albrightsville, PA
Votes |
  • Albrightsville, PA
Replied

Mel, Nancy and Hunter, Thank you guys for the tips and encouragement. Nancy, I really wish I had found Biggerpockets  a sooner than I did, but I found it and now I have to "Vacuum the Truck". I will let you know how it goes. 

User Stats

Votes
Michael Gansberg
  • Investor
  • New York City, NY
Votes |
  • Investor
  • New York City, NY
Replied

Awesome podcast. Really loved it- I think much of Bryce's success comes from his can-do and upbeat attitude, something we should all pay attention to. 

One point I disagree with- he mentioned a building with heating costs of $3,000/yr(I think it was oil baseboard, and the owner paid the heating bill.) He ripped out the heating system and put in electric baseboard, putting the burden of the heating payments on the residents. He spent $5,000 doing that, and suggests a return of $3000/$5000 = 60% annually.

This sounds like a great idea- but in practice, I think it would fail miserably. Generally, electric baseboard is much more expensive than oil heat(see link below which allows input of various prices for electricity and oil.) With the default inputs below, electric baseboard is 87% more expensive than oil. If it's lower than that- call it 80% - then the residents would shoulder a burden of $5400/year in heating costs instead of ownership paying $3000/year.  That's not a lossless proposition! 

In my experience, when residents have unexpectedly high heating bills, they gripe about it, their ability to pay rent is reduced(leading to a higher eviction rate,) and they tend to leave the apartment at the end of their lease, dramatically increasing turnover. Turnover is expensive- repainting, cleaning, possibly a month or two of vacancy, paying an agent to rent it(or spending your own time showing it,) and so on.

It's also important to note that an owner can charge more if heating is included. Installing electric baseboard and putting the heat bill on the residents will result in lower rent rates. So I believe the actual return on ripping out the oil and installing electric baseboard is actually negative. 

Loved everything else in the podcast. Michael

https://www.efficiencymaine.com/at-home/home-energy-savings-program/heating-cost-comparison/

User Stats

Votes
Matthew Bennett
  • Indianapolis, IN
Votes |
  • Indianapolis, IN
Replied

Great episode! Grabbed a lot of information from this one.

User Stats

Votes
Akwasi Degraft
  • Harlem, NY
Votes |
  • Harlem, NY
Replied

Great podcast. About to re listen, too many gems!

User Stats

Votes
Chris Roche
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • North Weymouth, MA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • North Weymouth, MA
Replied
Originally posted by @Michael Gansberg:

Awesome podcast. Really loved it- I think much of Bryce's success comes from his can-do and upbeat attitude, something we should all pay attention to. 

One point I disagree with- he mentioned a building with heating costs of $3,000/yr(I think it was oil baseboard, and the owner paid the heating bill.) He ripped out the heating system and put in electric baseboard, putting the burden of the heating payments on the residents. He spent $5,000 doing that, and suggests a return of $3000/$5000 = 60% annually.

This sounds like a great idea- but in practice, I think it would fail miserably. Generally, electric baseboard is much more expensive than oil heat(see link below which allows input of various prices for electricity and oil.) With the default inputs below, electric baseboard is 87% more expensive than oil. If it's lower than that- call it 80% - then the residents would shoulder a burden of $5400/year in heating costs instead of ownership paying $3000/year.  That's not a lossless proposition! 

In my experience, when residents have unexpectedly high heating bills, they gripe about it, their ability to pay rent is reduced(leading to a higher eviction rate,) and they tend to leave the apartment at the end of their lease, dramatically increasing turnover. Turnover is expensive- repainting, cleaning, possibly a month or two of vacancy, paying an agent to rent it(or spending your own time showing it,) and so on.

It's also important to note that an owner can charge more if heating is included. Installing electric baseboard and putting the heat bill on the residents will result in lower rent rates. So I believe the actual return on ripping out the oil and installing electric baseboard is actually negative. 

Loved everything else in the podcast. Michael

https://www.efficiencymaine.com/at-home/home-energy-savings-program/heating-cost-comparison/

was thinking the same thing. completely agree!

User Stats

Votes
Matthew Powell
  • Gresham, OR
Votes |
  • Gresham, OR
Replied

Definitely do not have to be book smart in order to be considered smart. This is a great podcast for those that see achieving success in real estate investing as no possible. 

User Stats

Votes
Bill Regan
  • Investor
  • Clearwater, FL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Clearwater, FL
Replied

Great episode!  Inspirational stuff, tons of great tidbits in here.  

I really appreciate these podcasts where the focus is on a mindset of getting enough to make your life comfortable and then spending time on what matters to you.  Not all of us want 300 units and syndication (sounds a lot like work!).

PropStream logo
PropStream
|
Sponsored
Nationwide property data Use our robust, multi-sourced data to find off-market properties and close your next deal.

User Stats

Votes
Jessica G.
  • Investor
  • Dallas, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Dallas, TX
Replied

Definitely agree on the "vaccum the truck" thing. I have to remind myself to just take the NEXT step and not worry about the ones after that. Because in my case steps 2,3,4 continue to change! 

User Stats

Votes
Michael Durham
  • Salt Lake City, UT
Votes |
  • Salt Lake City, UT
Replied

Where do you live that you can retire off 10k/month. I want to move there now!

User Stats

Votes
Justin Glass
  • Insurance Agent
  • Springfield, IL
Votes |
  • Insurance Agent
  • Springfield, IL
Replied
Originally posted by @Amanda Olvera:

I think I’ve listened to all of the BP podcasts and this one resonated with me most. As a teacher myself, I could identify with Bryce in so many ways. And I agree with other posters, he should consider motivational speaking! He is a brilliant communicator and has an inspiring and educational message!

I actually plan to use this with a mini-unit I’m planning for my HS juniors. Kids need more information about personal finance and FI at an early age. Wish someone had exposed me to some of these principles at 17 instead of 37!

Nicely done, BP. And from one teacher to another, well done, Mr. Stewart!

If you don't mind me asking what exactly do you have planned for the HS Juniors? If only more information was put into a practical format in school. I congratulate you on taking a step most others aren't willing to take. 

User Stats

Votes
Paul Jeppson
  • Salt Lake City, UT
Votes |
  • Salt Lake City, UT
Replied

Just made my first offer on an investment property with a friend. Didn't have any idea we could get the ball rolling this fast. #VacuumTheTruck 

User Stats

Votes
Amanda Olvera
  • Kansas City, MO
Votes |
  • Kansas City, MO
Replied

@Justin Glass
I’m going to do a small unit on personal finance where they do a 10 year retirement plan/ journey to FI. I plan to use excerpts of different books including Scott’s Set for Life as well as podcasts and blog posts from BP—like this one and a couple from The Money Show. Mr. MM probably going to make an appearance, too:).

Their end product will be a presentation to the class on their journey to FI by 28. Maybe some of them will actually implement it! 😊.

As a side note—Mindy Jensen if you could do a Money Podcast exclusively about college costs, that’d be awesome!

User Stats

Votes
Eric Tironi
  • Grand Rapids, MI
Votes |
  • Grand Rapids, MI
Replied

I’m curious about the “Jedi mind trick” strategy @brandonturner mentions in this podcast where he gives two offers for consideration. Anyone have experience with this or know of a thread where this is discussed?

User Stats

Votes
LaToya Samuels
  • Philadelphia, PA
Votes |
  • Philadelphia, PA
Replied

The bad thing about listening to podcasts during the morning and evening commute is that you can't take notes. Definitely have to listen again!

Bryce's hunger for his goal was so apparent and hence a very inspiring success story!

Brandon and David's commentary was A+ as well.

User Stats

Votes
Cheryl Butler
  • Professional
  • Delaware, OH
Votes |
  • Professional
  • Delaware, OH
Replied

I really enjoyed Bryce's perspective on real estate rental cash flow. I have often heard people say they are looking for $200-$300/month in cash flow on a property and thought that wasn't enough of a return, so I feel validated now! I always listen while driving and wind up taking calls and (a-hem) watching the road, so I will listen to this one several times to be sure I don't miss a single grain of wisdom. Thanks for another great show! 

User Stats

Votes
Replied

Great podcast.  If you liked "Vacuum the truck", you should check out his videos on Youtube.  Fun little graphical journey.  I love how he appeals to the higher end renter - I suspect that's how he squeezes the sponge on his cash flow.

User Stats

Votes
Nico Roe
  • Investor
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • San Diego, CA
Replied

Great show guys!!! Foolishly, the number of doors I’d have before age 30 had been my goal, now its 10k in passive income. Gotta get more return from what I already have!!

Baselane logo
Baselane
|
Sponsored
Baselane is the Ultimate All-In-One Banking Platform for REI Built with integrated rent collection & bookkeeping to save time so you can grow your RE business.

User Stats

Votes
Mike Dymski
Pro Member
#5 Investor Mindset Contributor
  • Investor
  • Greenville, SC
Votes |
Pro Member
#5 Investor Mindset Contributor
  • Investor
  • Greenville, SC
Replied

I liked the podcast...great content and funny.  Take action was the message.  Bryce is smart, articulate, hard working, and witty.

I struggled to follow the underwriting though and rents were not discussed...$1,000/door cash flow, 23 doors, only $10,000/mth cash flow.  Comparison was made to other members who look for $300/door fully loaded (all expenses, vacancy, management, capex) with $1,000/door (that may not be fully loaded...don't know).  I didn't loose the forest through the trees but the trees are important in investing and lend credibility to the story.  Regardless, I really enjoyed the podcast and learned a lot.

User Stats

Votes
Cheryl Butler
  • Professional
  • Delaware, OH
Votes |
  • Professional
  • Delaware, OH
Replied

@Mike Dymski You have to watch his little video on YouTube to understand the math. He mentions it in the show "From Broke to Retired in 15 Years". 

User Stats

Votes
Paul B.
  • Dallas, TX
Votes |
  • Dallas, TX
Replied
Originally posted by @Michael Durham:

Where do you live that you can retire off 10k/month. I want to move there now!

Where do you live that you can't live off $120K/year, tax deferred? Sure, it might be lower middle class in NYC or SF, but you can still survive.