Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Mortgage Brokers & Lenders
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Ryan Ness
  • Realtor
  • Lafayette, IN
Votes |
1 Hour Away from Indy - Lending options?

Ryan Ness
  • Realtor
  • Lafayette, IN
Posted

I am currently located in Lafayette, Indiana. I have been living in a duplex househack that I purchased in 2021. I would always prefer to use as low a down payment as possible, but I understand that being located 1 hour from Indianapolis may present some challenges.

I currently have a W2 income in Lafayette and am a licensed realtor in Indiana as well. I have not been as focused on the real estate sales and have really just held onto my license for the time being.

Are there any lenders that would be a good fit for this scenario? I do not see myself doing 20% down on any property greater than $150,000 to ensure I still have reserves.

I have already linked up with some Realtors based in Indiana and have property searches going, but I want to be sure I am set to submit offers when the opportunity arises. I have been working on sourcing deals in Lafayette as well, but the market is pretty thin here compared to the options even just on the MLS in Indy. I have 2 options on the MLS here in Lafayette that I know do not work, but there are 11 in Indy in my list of options at the moment just as an example.

User Stats

Votes
Joseph Chiofalo
Lender
  • Banker
  • Melville, NY
Votes |
Lender
  • Banker
  • Melville, NY
Replied

Hi Ryan, 

Are you looking to purchase this as a primary home? 

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Postell
Lender
Pro Member
#1 Creative Real Estate Financing Contributor
  • Lender
  • Fort Worth, TX
Votes |
Lender
Pro Member
#1 Creative Real Estate Financing Contributor
  • Lender
  • Fort Worth, TX
Replied

@Ryan Ness house hacking means buying your own primary home.  So, buying your own primary home should not be an issue at all - even if it's outside of a city.  Have lenders told you that something is up?  Feel free to reach out directly if you want to talk anything through.  Thanks!

Guaranteed Rate Logo
Rent To Retirement logo
Rent To Retirement
|
Sponsored
Turnkey Rentals 12+ States. SFR, MF & New Builds, High ROI! 3.99% rates, 5% down loans, below market prices across the US! Txt REI to 33777

User Stats

Votes
Ryan Ness
  • Realtor
  • Lafayette, IN
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Lafayette, IN
Replied
Quote from @Andrew Postell:

@Ryan Ness house hacking means buying your own primary home.  So, buying your own primary home should not be an issue at all - even if it's outside of a city.  Have lenders told you that something is up?  Feel free to reach out directly if you want to talk anything through.  Thanks!

I figured it wouldn't be much of an issue. I had one lender who was taking issue with anything that was greater than 1 hour away as they were concerned with my commute to my W2. 

User Stats

Votes
Ryan Ness
  • Realtor
  • Lafayette, IN
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Lafayette, IN
Replied
Quote from @Joseph Chiofalo:

Hi Ryan, 

Are you looking to purchase this as a primary home? 

Yes, it would be my primary residence. I have been trying to also take advantage of the Fannie Mae 5% down-payment option if possible too.

User Stats

Votes
Derek Brickley
Lender
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Ann Arbor, MI
Votes |
Lender
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Ann Arbor, MI
Replied

Hey Ryan! If you live in a duplex now and want to buy a single-family home then that is generally a good reason for the move. I'm assuming you used FHA on your duplex in 2021 so that 5% down conventional would probably be a good bet. Feel free to reach out though with any questions you might have.

Gold Star Mortgage - Derek Brickley Logo

User Stats

Votes
John Burke
  • Lender
  • Texas/Nationwide
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Texas/Nationwide
Replied

A 1 hour commute is not a problem but you may need to provide a letter of explanation. Occupancy fraud is the most common fraud committed in mortgage lending so underwriters look at things like distance from your job as a possible indicator. 

Did you claim the your rental income from your current duplex on your taxes? 

What type of property are you look for now, SFR or multi-unit?
I can lend in all 50 states and would be happy to help you figure out some options.

User Stats

Votes
Ryan Ness
  • Realtor
  • Lafayette, IN
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Lafayette, IN
Replied
Quote from @John Burke:

A 1 hour commute is not a problem but you may need to provide a letter of explanation. Occupancy fraud is the most common fraud committed in mortgage lending so underwriters look at things like distance from your job as a possible indicator. 

I can lend in all 50 states and would be happy to help you figure out some options.

As it has now been 2 years since the property has been rented, I do claim the income on my taxes. 

I will be interested in multi-family, LTR opportunities that I can househack. If the cash flow of this property could get me beyond what is needed for my cost of living, my current W2 may not be a requirement, and I could make use of my Realtor's license in Indianapolis instead. I know the W2 may be needed for the approval, but I didn't know if there are other options if I needed to step away from the W2.

User Stats

Votes
Kerry Noble Jr
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Indianapolis, IN
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Indianapolis, IN
Replied

Hey @Staci Rogers is there anything you can do in this situation?

User Stats

Votes
Staci Rogers
  • Lender
  • Indiana
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Indiana
Replied

@Kerry Noble Jr Thanks for looping me in.

@Ryan Ness Interesting scenario, as I commute an hour every day for work also! I would be happy to connect and chat; however, any type of income producing properties would require 25% down. There are several areas in Indiana that are doing well with cash flow. Feel free to reach out if you want to chat. 

User Stats

Votes
John Burke
  • Lender
  • Texas/Nationwide
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Texas/Nationwide
Replied
Quote from @Ryan Ness:
Quote from @John Burke:

As it has now been 2 years since the property has been rented, I do claim the income on my taxes. 

I will be interested in multi-family, LTR opportunities that I can househack. If the cash flow of this property could get me beyond what is needed for my cost of living, my current W2 may not be a requirement, and I could make use of my Realtor's license in Indianapolis instead. I know the W2 may be needed for the approval, but I didn't know if there are other options if I needed to step away from the W2.

IMHO in order to secure the best terms, you'll want to stick with W-2 for the purchase. Once you've had a chance to see how the property performs, you can revisit the idea of giving up your W-2 job.