Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Mortgage Brokers & Lenders
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Paige Seeley
Votes |
Recasting A Mortgage

Paige Seeley
Posted

I'm in the process of purchasing my first investment property. Is it better to do a smaller down payment compared to 20% to save on interest rates and then take a lump sum to recast the mortgage? Any thoughts or tips on recasting would be appreciated!

User Stats

Votes
Chris Seveney
Pro Member
#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Replied

@Paige Seeley

The more you put down the less you will pay in interest

Question we ask ourselves is what do you do with that money? Can you earn more than the mortgage (net taxes on that money) ? If yes then invest it, if not maybe consider using it as down payment

Downside of down payment is it will be less liquid so also understanding your overall financial picture should be considered

User Stats

Votes
Derek Brickley
Lender
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Ann Arbor, MI
Votes |
Lender
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Ann Arbor, MI
Replied

Hey Paige!

If this is a true investment property, you would typically need a 15% down payment minimum anyway.  What other option were you considering?

Gold Star Mortgage - Derek Brickley Logo
BiggerPockets logo
PassivePockets is here!
|
BiggerPockets
Find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Dave Skow
  • Lender
  • Seattle, WA
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Seattle, WA
Replied

@Paige Seeley - thanks ...the min down payment for a 1 unit rental  property is 15% ...so putting  20% down isnt that much more ....recasting  isnt always  offered for rental properties so you would need to check with lender ....recasting normally has an admin fee of $300-$500 

User Stats

Votes
Erik Estrada
Lender
  • Lender
Votes |
Lender
  • Lender
Replied
Quote from @Paige Seeley:

I'm in the process of purchasing my first investment property. Is it better to do a smaller down payment compared to 20% to save on interest rates and then take a lump sum to recast the mortgage? Any thoughts or tips on recasting would be appreciated!

Most lenders will require a 20% down payment on an investment property, although there are some programs that will allow a 15% down payment. Is the goal to payoff the mortgage faster or save on interest payments? 

User Stats

Votes
Cory J Thornton
Property Manager
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Raleigh, NC
Votes |
Property Manager
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Raleigh, NC
Replied

@Paige Seeley - If I am understanding the hart of your post correctly, you are balancing the decision to put more money down, in order to have better cashflow, vs going with a lower down payment (keeping cash in your control) but having a higher monthly payment. 

Thomas Sewell is one of my all time favorite economists. He will frequently frame things in terms of a trade off. Usually there is not a universally true right and wrong investment decision that applies the same to every individual. The important thing for each individual to understand are the trade offs that will be made with each decision. That information paired with a goal or some factor you are optimizing for, will usually lead to an informed decision for your situation. 

Best of luck on your learning and investing Journey!