List price strategies - RE Agent strategies

List price strategies - RE Agent strategies

Investor · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 450 votes

I'm tying to better understand retail listings. When I placed my house for sale the agent I was using was really supportive of setting it at a pretty high price since I would not need to sell for 6 months (then I ended up not selling anyways). I was asking 75K. but doubt the neighborhood could support much more than 60K, maybe 55K at the time.

Recently, I have been looking for a new home to purchase in about 6 months. I scrub the avaliable listings on-line to get an idea of what is going on until I am ready to buy and begin requesting comps from an agent.

I noticed that a particular house was listed at 149K. This house is in a good neighborhood but needs a fair amount of work. It is livable, but its condition would likely preclude it from a VA loan (which are fairly strict) and I'm unsure if it would qualify for conventional - probably would.

Then, a house almost directly across the street, same age, within 100 SF but in basically perfect condition goes up for 130K. Then I see the first house for 149K also drop to 130K. Now they are both priced the same, but the second house to go up for sale is in WAY better condition.

Is there any way to understand what could have been going through the people's and agents minds when setting the asking prices? Are there general guidelines agents go by when recommending list prices? Any rhyme or reason, or is it just 100 percent variable?

0Reply
15 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Joel OwensBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Canton, GA · Member since 2010 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    14y

    Brian,

    There are new agents where the broker tell them to "list anything!".

    Get the seller to come down later in price.Even if it doesn't sell you get buyer calls and maybe can sell them something.You will have our sign working for the company and you 24 hours a day etc.

    Basically all the CRAP I do not subscribe to or believe in with my business.In commercial real estate for me it is my job to make sure I tell the seller realistically what I can sell their property for before listing it.

    If they want to try a price a little higher maybe 5% or so above my recommendation for 1 week then you can put into the contract the price adjustment when signing the listing agreement and then it goes down in price.

    It cost money and time to present a property for sale to other brokers and direct buyers.The listing broker has to make sure they get a return on investment.

    Taking listings is like buying investment properties.If you buy bad you won't be in business long and will go under.If you buy good sometimes and not others the bad properties will take away from the profit of the good ones.

    If you make sure you purchase only good properties you will build a good business,track record,and reputation.

    This is the same with listing properties for sale as a broker.

    Hope it helps.

  • Investor · San Ramon, CA · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 569 votes
    14y

    My vote was 100% variable.

    The first time we sold a house we spoke to about 5 different agents prior to listing it. I think we had something like a $50,000 difference in initial list prices between the top and bottom. Some agents try to "buy" the listing by setting an unrealistically high list price thinking they can talk you down after they've locked it up. Others try the no B.S. route, straight shooter line. Others just want a quick sales and realize a few bucks on an extra $10k either way isn't worth working for so they underprice it.

    Beyond that, you have the second wildcard of sellers and their input into the price. In buying a house, we really loved a certain model but there was only 1 on the market and the lady was absolutely insane. It had been on the market for over 500 days and was still priced upwards of 30% over FMV... so what does she do? She adds $30,000 of custom window treatments and RAISES the asking price $200,000!!!! My realtor got an absolute kick out of speaking with her realtor, that poor man had no idea what to do with her.

    In the US we don't barter much. We are really locked into the big box store mentality of ticket price is value. Other countries are much more used to negotiating and ignoring the sticker price completely. When it comes to real estate, you need to switch to that foreign country mentality. The list price in no way reflects value of the home, simply one person's opinion of where they wish to begin negotiations on the sales price.

  • Specialist · Portland, OR · Member since 2010 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    14y

    During times of high inflation an agent could get a long listing and wait for the values to catch up with it.

    Check out what is typical in your market as the ratio of ask/sell price can vary depending on market conditions.

    Nothing worse than a stale listing. When a listing is new there is some excitement, best to capitalize on the newness.

    Agent should always justify price with comps. If they are too lazy to do this throw them out.

  • Real Estate Professional · Salt Lake City, UT · Member since 2010 · 608 posts · 163 votes
    14y
    Originally posted by Nathan Emmert:
    My vote was 100% variable.

    The list price in no way reflects value of the home, simply one person's opinion of where they wish to begin negotiations on the sales price.

    I totally agree with this. The owner of the very first listing I ever took demanded I list their home $27 a SF higher than market. This was after a lot of time reviewing recent solds with proof their home was listed too high. The owners even started blaming me for their home not selling. They wouldn't even let me out of the contract. Anyway they finally lowered the price and the home sold.

    For me personally I do not take listings when the owners are way unrealistic price wise.

    To bring this full circle, the reason the owners finally lowered their price is because a buyer was diligent on trying to negotiate a lower price.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.