Is it possible (or wise) to invest in a fund with leverage?

Is it possible (or wise) to invest in a fund with leverage?

Member since 2020 · 1 post · 0 votes

Hey everyone, I’m just starting out so maybe this is a silly question. But is it possible (or wise) to invest in a fund as a LP with leverage?

Here’s why it seems to me (an amateur) like an interesting idea:

Let’s say I can qualify for a $500k loan to purchase a duplex. This would be my first property, so I have a lot to learn. I would likely make a lot of mistakes. But it seems like securing financing for this kind of deal would be fairly straightforward as long as my financial situation supports it. A lot of people do this.

Instead, could I take that same $500k loan and invest it in a fund with GP’s I trust that have 30 years of experience? They would invest it in a portfolio of deals that I likely don’t have access to and that produce a higher return than my single duplex. Wouldn’t that be a much less risky investment for both me and the lender?

Is this a thing? Why don’t I hear about more people doing this? Or are there regulations/laws that prevent this? Or am I crazy? :) 

Again, I’m just getting started so I know there is probably a simple answer. 


0Reply
18 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • South Jersey · Member since 2021 · 117 posts · 77 votes
    4y

    @Justin Hales Welcome to BP! This is an interesting question in that what is your level of desired commitment to the investment? Do you wish to be active or passive? I couldn't choose for you but personally, I would go for an actual property based on my desired level of risk. While there may be mistakes, no one is going to manage your money as well as you IMO. It comes down to the rate of return as well. Another thought is that you could lose your shirt if the GP fails in their venture or things go sour. You're borrowing money to invest in a fund which is essentially the same as borrowing on margin in the stock market which can be incredibly risky.

  • Scott WolfPro Member
    Lender · Boca Raton, FL · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 957 votes
    4y

    @Justin Hales, that $500k loan you're talking about would be based on the value of the property you're purchasing.  Getting an unsecured line of credit for $500k will cost a lot more in interest payments, and the math may not pencil out.  Also, you may not qualify for $500k without the underlying asset securing it.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.