Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Starting Out
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Andy Wayne
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Indianapolis, IN
Votes |
First Time House Investor

Andy Wayne
  • Indianapolis, IN
Posted
Hello everyone! I wanted to post on here a little bit about what I've got going on / what I've been debating doing....and get some feedback! I bought my first piece of property when I was 19 (Im currently 24). Since that time I have bought two more times (all adjoining parcels of raw land). This amounts to a total of about 30 acres of (mostly) tillable crop ground. The first and biggest piece I bought was paid for out of pocket, the subsequent two where purchased with seller carrying the mortgage at a rate of 3% (family friend, gave me a great deal!). I am currently cash renting it to a farmer as well as renting out hunting rights in the fall. This covers about 40% of my monthly payments and expenses. My next goal is to purchase a duplex (cost of ~$85,000, each side currently rented for $575 a month w/ stable renting history. I will be able to put 20% down on the duplex should I need to for obtaining a loan. I would then use some of the positive cashflow from the rented duplex to pay its expenses as well as cover expenses from my previously purchased farm land ($700 / monthly payment) - less 40%. $420 out of pocket each month. The payments on duplex would be $500/month mortgage. So...$1150 income - $920 mortgages, remaining cash flow of $230 per month. So down to my question. Cash renting farmland has basically zero expenses except for taxes. With a duplex, I have no idea. I can't seem to find solid numbers - seems to vary wildly. Would this be a worthwhile endeavor? I want to make another leap into real estate investing and this makes the most sense to me...any arguments agreeing or disagreeing?! Any feedback greatly welcomed!! Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
J Scott
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Sarasota, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Sarasota, FL
ModeratorReplied

With respect to your question about expenses for rental properties, you'd probably be interested in learning about the "50% Rule" we discuss on here a lot. Do a search for existing threads on the topic, and here's a video that also provides an explanation:

50% Rule Tutorial

User Stats

Votes
Andy Wayne
  • Indianapolis, IN
Votes |
  • Indianapolis, IN
Replied

Thanks!

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Brandon Turner
Pro Member
#3 Questions About BiggerPockets & Official Site Announcements Contributor
  • Investor
  • Maui, HI
Votes |
Pro Member
#3 Questions About BiggerPockets & Official Site Announcements Contributor
  • Investor
  • Maui, HI
Replied

Hey @Andy Wayne welcome to the site! Great to have you here!

I'm gonna also throw this video here, since now we can put youtube videos here in the Forums!