Newbie looking to 10X current net worth!!

Newbie looking to 10X current net worth!!

Rental Property Investor · Boston, MA · Member since 2020 · 15 posts · 11 votes

Hello BP community! I've been an active listener/follower, inactive member for about 2 years now. I've spent the last 10 years working for a small startup company that no one thought would ever work out, and everyone betted against called TESLA INC.

I started my journey in 2011, as a process specialist and throughout several years worked my way up in the company holding many positions as an engineer, then engineering manager, and eventually operations manager which is the title i current hold. I have learned and applied a lot of skills through these past few years and still continue to learn new things everyday. I have decided however that its time for me to move onto bigger things for myself, and pass the torch to the next person willing to sacrifice a little of their own for the better of all, so i will be leaving the company next month and moving to the Boston, MA area.

Throughout this journey, i have made a lot of high risk high reward moves within the company that has allowed me to gain a considerable amount of networth in tesla stock incentives. The only reason I share this information is that i hope to attract a mentor. I always here Brandon and David talk on the Podcasts about being able to offer something to someone in exchange for something. I have liquid capital, and a lot of it. I have been working with my financial planner for the past 12 months to plan my exit from the company and i feel really good about or strategies.


One of those strategies in diversifiying my high concentration of networth is real estate. I am specifically interested Long-Term Holds/Rentals (local and long distance), Fix n flips, and both residential and commerical development projects. If anyone is interested in discussing future business/investment partnerships or ideas, feel free to reach out to me, i would love to hear from you!


-Brian

0Reply
35 views

Most Popular Reply

Wholesaler, Rehabber and Landlord · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
5y

There are so many different avenues that you can take in real estate. What do you want to do??

OR do you just want to deploy money and let others take care of it for you? Syndications allow you to put up some money for some larger returns that are usually pretty safe. They dont take a bunch of your time.

You will probably get 50 opinions of what you SHOULD do with your money, but you need to decide. Read some posts here. There are lots of things that you can do: develop land, home builder, construction company, GREEN construction company, flip homes, lending, owner financing your rehabs and a bunch more. 

Then you can go commercial. Buy some large strip centers, office buildings, 200+unit apartments, and on and on.

What do you want to do?

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Solo 401k Expert · Anaheim Hills, CA · Member since 2012 · 18k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    5y

    @Brian McCombs congrats on getting started!

  • Rental Property Investor · Winston Salem, NC · Member since 2018 · 102 posts · 66 votes
    5y

    @Brian McCombs

    Congrats on your growth and success. Perhaps if you have not made the move to the awesome but densely populated and expensive Boston market, you should relocate south, buy a small plot of land and a small construction company and use your cutting edge experience and insight to build a modest size smart home community and subdivision? Don’t sell them. Buy and hold, rent them. Make them affordable, smart and energy efficient and you’ll have a home run. Good luck!

  • Realtor · Raleigh-Durham, NC · Member since 2018 · 324 posts · 218 votes
    5y

    @Brian McCombs There is a lot of money to be made in housing in Boston. Given your capital position it would make a lot of sense to connect with a developer in the area to be an equity partner or private lender. People are making a lot of money buying run down multis and doing condo conversions in Boston. I'm happy to chat in further detail if you'd like to send me a message.

  • Wholesaler, Rehabber and Landlord · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    5y

    There are so many different avenues that you can take in real estate. What do you want to do??

    OR do you just want to deploy money and let others take care of it for you? Syndications allow you to put up some money for some larger returns that are usually pretty safe. They dont take a bunch of your time.

    You will probably get 50 opinions of what you SHOULD do with your money, but you need to decide. Read some posts here. There are lots of things that you can do: develop land, home builder, construction company, GREEN construction company, flip homes, lending, owner financing your rehabs and a bunch more. 

    Then you can go commercial. Buy some large strip centers, office buildings, 200+unit apartments, and on and on.

    What do you want to do?

  • Investor · Woodbridge, VA · Member since 2019 · 162 posts · 64 votes
    5y

    @Brian McCombs I agree with @Richard Weinberg , Buy & Hold, or even look at what technology people in the area are willing to pay for. I upgraded my rental property to a few smart devices (garage, home security system, lightbulbs) it made a difference and I was able to get a tenant-right at the beginning of the shelter-in-place orders. There were other upsides however, other homes in the community did not have the so-called leisurely items. I have a few friends who purchased homes simply because they were considered smart. Something else to look into, I've done some research on solar panels some areas homes are worth anywhere from 5% or more because of them.

    Smart Homes are the future. As a Computer Engineer, that is where the market is going, in my opinion.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.