Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Starting Out
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Dustin Crawford
  • New to Real Estate
  • Palestine, TX
Votes |
Single or Multi-Family for First Rental Purchase?

Dustin Crawford
  • New to Real Estate
  • Palestine, TX
Posted Oct 20 2020, 06:07

I've been searching for my first investment for some time now. I am going back and forth between buying a single family home versus a multi family unit. For a first time buyer, what do you think is the best option? There aren't many multi family units in my city (Palestine, Texas), so if I go that route, it will have to be a distance purchase. Also, SFRs are being snatched up within days. What do you guys think?  Thanks in advance!

User Stats

Votes
Ari Hadar
  • Investor
Votes |
  • Investor
Replied Oct 20 2020, 06:25

If you find good small multi family that have cashflow that sounds nice. You can house hack even. One hour  from your house isn't much. People invest out of the country and oos because they don't find cashflow. 

User Stats

Votes
Kevin Dureiko
  • Lender
  • Bolton, CT
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Bolton, CT
Replied Oct 20 2020, 06:35

Depending on what your end goal is should drive your initial purchase. Do you want to flip first to get your feet wet or maybe use that income to get into a bigger multi family? Really depends on what you’re trying to accomplish. 

BiggerPockets logo
Network With Property Managers
|
BiggerPockets
Partnering with a property manager before you buy will boost your bottom line. Match and mingle with top property managers now!

User Stats

Votes
Jeff Hornberger
Agent
  • Investor
  • Spokane Valley, WA
Votes |
Agent
  • Investor
  • Spokane Valley, WA
Replied Oct 20 2020, 06:48

@Dustin Crawford I might be bias because I purchased a duplex 12 years ago for my first purchase but I can say that it was the single best thing I could do financially. I used an fha 3.5% Down loan, lived in one side and then a couple years later refi’d that into a conventional loan then bought another duplex with fha (bigger for our growing family and closer to where I wanted to be). After these two duplexes were purchased I was able to move out of the larger one and cash flow my single family residences mortgage payment. I don’t think this would have been possible had I bought a single family home. The cash flow on those just isn’t what a duplex can be, atleast in my area.

I think if you run the numbers it will be easier to cash flow Multifamily and in the long run it will be easier to qualify for more properties as you’ll likely have more income and established leases to show income.

If there aren’t very many duplexes in the area you want to be then that tells me a direct mail campaign to those duplexes wouldn’t be all that expensive so maybe giving that a try for a couple months first to see if you can generate anything off market for you to buy and if not you ultimately sacrifice for a couple years then buy closer to where you want to be. 🤷‍♂️

User Stats

Votes
Peter Mckernan
Agent
Pro Member
  • Residential Real Estate Agent
  • Irvine, CA
Votes |
Agent
Pro Member
  • Residential Real Estate Agent
  • Irvine, CA
Replied Oct 20 2020, 06:51

@Dustin Crawford

It's up to you and your end goals, or at least your 3-5 year goals on where you want to be. What have you been studying, and what do you know more about? If you know and are really confident in SFRs verse Multifamily go that route for the first one hit some bumps to iron out the challenges you'll have in being a landlord then move into multifamily. You can take down a 2-4 unit and get your confidence as a landlord that way then move into more units. Really depends on your thought process and desires.

The McKernan Group Logo

User Stats

Votes
Dustin Crawford
  • New to Real Estate
  • Palestine, TX
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Palestine, TX
Replied Oct 20 2020, 07:10
Originally posted by @Kevin Dureiko:

Depending on what your end goal is should drive your initial purchase. Do you want to flip first to get your feet wet or maybe use that income to get into a bigger multi family? Really depends on what you’re trying to accomplish. 

My ultimate goal is cash flow and building long-term, sustainable wealth for my family. 

User Stats

Votes
Kevin Dureiko
  • Lender
  • Bolton, CT
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Bolton, CT
Replied Oct 20 2020, 07:15

@Dustin Crawford In general, going for a tri or 4 pled is economically adventitious. As someone who is in nearly every facet of the business. 1 door is the same work as 4. That being said getting as many doors under one roof just makes more sense economically and its more stable. 

There's plenty of people that would disagree and say to start small or amass a portfolio of SFR. That may work for them. Historically for myself and clients, the more doors under one roof the better.

User Stats

Votes
Dustin Crawford
  • New to Real Estate
  • Palestine, TX
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Palestine, TX
Replied Oct 20 2020, 08:28
Originally posted by @Kevin Dureiko:

@Dustin Crawford In general, going for a tri or 4 pled is economically adventitious. As someone who is in nearly every facet of the business. 1 door is the same work as 4. That being said getting as many doors under one roof just makes more sense economically and its more stable. 

There's plenty of people that would disagree and say to start small or amass a portfolio of SFR. That may work for them. Historically for myself and clients, the more doors under one roof the better.

I agree with you 100%. The problem that I'm going to run into is financing a multi-family. I have enough cash to put down for a 20% down payment on a SFR, but not a multi. I would have to house hack the multi to make it work. The problem is, I would have to move to a bigger city to be able to do this, as multi-units are a rare find in the city that I live in.

User Stats

Votes
Dena Puliatti
  • Property Manager
  • Huntsville, AL
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Huntsville, AL
Replied Oct 20 2020, 09:52

My advice to a first-time investor would be to buy a single family home.  Multis are great for cash flow, but you'll also deal with multiple HVACs and other major systems. Those repairs can be costly and take a lot of time to recoup.   If you buy a single family home in good condition, do a few cosmetic changes, and rent it out, it may be less stressful as a first purchase.  Once you're in the groove, a multi would be a great next step.