How I made 900% return in 1 year...

How I made 900% return in 1 year...

Member since 2008 · 452 posts · 18 votes

Something very interesting happened to me just recently. I bought a small apartment building this time last year. Kept it for just one year. Now I just sold it yesterday and made a 900% profit. Basically I turned $100k into $900k net/net spendable cash.

This was such a monumental gain that I had to sit down and analyzed exactly the circumstances surrounding it.

So here's how I did it.... (and how anyone can do this.)

STEP 1)

You look up to find where realestate is appreciating at the very highest rate. Perhaps you could find some kind of demographic map on the internet showing where. I lucked out because here in Alberta we just had that kind of spike happen in the market. Chances are that market might be a state or city outside of your area. Regardless that's where you have to buy. Besides it's not hard at all to buy in another area. It's no different than buying local other than you might need a property management company in the short term.

STEP 2)

You're goal now is to find properties that you could buy with little to no money down. Many lenders will lend 100% on property these days. Or if they'll only do say up to 90% then you just get the seller to carry a 10% second. The bottom line is you try to buy any property with little to no money down. And the bigger or more expensive the property the better.

STEP 3)

The kind of property you're looking for is one that makes for a good rental property. So ideally something that is or could be divided up into as many units as possible. So for example an old house that you could rent the main floor and create a separate entry into the basement to create one or more suites downstairs. Or best case scenario, try and find a small or even mid sized apartment building to buy, 6, 12, 20 or more units. The more the better.

STEP 4)

You make lots and lots of offers in that area. You pay list price but try to get it for very little down or no money down if possible. Then you get the renters in there and you sit on it for at least a year, possibly longer if you're cash flow is strong enough to support it.

STEP 5)

Keep tabs on the prices of homes and the demand in that area. You want to keep a pulse on the market. What's the vacancy rate like? Is the market almost peaked out and leveling off, or does the growth appear to remain strong. Then in about a year here's what could happen.

If you bought a home for say $200,000 and you only put down $10,000 to buy it, then if the value goes up to say $300,000 you've made ten times your money in just one year. That might not sound realistic, but the fact is that realestate went up in Alberta by 52% in 2006. I bought my apartment building for $725 and just sold it for $1.625. The mortgage is only $600k so my $100k has now magically overnight turned into a million bucks net net.

So if you want to powerfully leverage your money that's one strategy for you. Good luck.

....and on that note....I'm going shopping for a brand new Porsche baby!!!!

0Reply
19 views

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2008 · 5 posts · 1 vote
    19y

    Congradulations on CREATING $900k but now you have to see if you can KEEP those dollars for your future use. While the present time numbers say that you made 900K the future is going to change those numbers.
    If you have bought a car then already some of that profit is gone and I do not know tax law where you are but I think that your goverment may be getting ready to knock on your door and you now need to get a plan in place to protect that "profit' otherewise it is going to turn into a tax bill and could cut your rate of return from 900% to somehwhere around 450%???
    Making money is good but keeping the money is better. Lots of people win the lottery here in the USA and then 10 years later are worse off financially then before they "won". You just "won" a great deal on the property but can you keep it, manage it, and grow it from 900K to 9 million or are you going to give 50% or more to the goverment in taxs?

  • Member since 2008 · 452 posts · 18 votes
    19y

    You can't get to where I am with a lotto mentality, so ya I know what you mean, and ya I save every month and I invest. There are a lot of people in life who make big money but never reward themselves. I think that everytime you make some money or finalize a deal you should take 5% or 10% and reward yourself. Make it your duty to spend that money on yourself and those you love so you remember how good it feels to make it and what it can do for you. Infact this just amazes me. Because life's so short. So never hoard you money. While your here for a brief time try to at least enjoy some of it. So if you do a deal, you go march right on down to that Porsche dealership and you pay cash for a new car, or whatever it is that has your fancy. And if that tax man comes knocking he'd better beware because right behind the door I'll be waiting with a fully loaded double barrel sawed of shot gun aiming his way ;-)

  • Member since 2008 · 5 posts · 1 vote
    19y

    I agree with you 100%, I just didn't read anything about a tax plan in your original post so wanted to remind others reading the thread that this is NOT a one shot game, it is a lifetime pursuit.
    A friend of mine bought the new Corvette after making 200K and I am driving a F-350 King Ranch but that is a "company " vehicle so it is free to me personally.
    Dollars sitting in a bank account gives very little pleasure to life; and I do not even think tht dollars should be the major way of keeping score. Quality of life, time spent with family and friends, chasing your dreams are much better score cards. Dollars are just a means to the end and not the end all in themselves.
    Have fun with the new car.

  • Member since 2008 · 452 posts · 18 votes
    19y

    That's true. Like if you look at a sunset that's priceless. Or if you take a walk on the beach with your family that's priceless too, and all those kinds of rewards to life that fall into that catagory. But that's the problem. You can't actually put a price on it? In some respect those types of things are not on the same parallel as actual cash money. But success in my opinion is definitely measured by monetary rewards. Cash is one great measure of success in life. Not the only measure but definitely one strong one. Even Nepolean Hill talks about this. And although he puts it as #10 on the list in think and grow rich in other titles he talks about it a lot as well. So that's why I think that if you make some money you should at least use part of it to reward yourself and those you love, and or to help some good cause. Otherwise you'll just end up hoarding it and being some greedy bastard.

  • Member since 2008 · 9 posts · 0 votes
    19y

    Thats a pretty amazing story r2d246. Congrats

    BTW, how did the value appreciate so quickly?

  • Member since 2008 · 452 posts · 18 votes
    19y

    To answer your question, Alberta has more oil in tar sands than all of Saudi Arabia. We're the largest supplier to the US in the western hemisphere. So all of a sudden a ton of multi billion dollar developments were started. Meaning a ton of jobs. Meaning zero vacancy and property values soaring. So in this case tons of buildings are being converted into condos. So I'm pretty sure these people buying it are going to do a condo conversion on it and cash out themselves.

  • Real Estate Coach · Member since 2008 · 32 posts · 0 votes
    19y

    Gee Mr. Trump er ah I mean R2D2. Pretty cool. Your in the big bucks now! Congrats. Maybe you and I should hop on a plane and go visit Mr. Vegas to circulate some of that excess dough! Sometimes Big Bucks comes fast in real estate and sometimes is is a slow methodical process. In a lot of American cities prices are dropping like a rock so it is very hard to make fast cash. Search out that next up and coming mother lode location for that next deal of a lifetime!!! Next work on making one million a year of net income via cashflow!!

  • Member since 2008 · 452 posts · 18 votes
    19y

    You still got to set up your office, otherwise you won't be able to get away. *lol* But ya we should go on one of those 4 day deals. Could be fun. At least we'd actually get a chance to remember what warm weather and sunlight feels like.

  • Member since 2008 · 5 posts · 1 vote
    19y

    Congratulations man, Im a student in Edmonton, Alberta doing first year of college. I've read about buying property with 0 down but I've never done it before. A lot of my buddies are tradesmen so they have enough money that banks will lend them cash to buy condos. One of my friends put down roughly $10,000 and had made $100,000 in a couple months.

    Do you think there's any hope for a college student (who saves his shoddy part-time wages :)) to get in on the housing action or is it too late?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.