Skip to content
Starting Out
Account Closed
  • Dunedin, FL
Votes |
Meeting with attorney, what questions should I ask?

Account Closed
  • Dunedin, FL
Posted May 30 2017, 15:03
Im meeting with an attorney tomorrow for a consult about establishing an LLC for myself. Ive done some reading and have a list of questions but I would absolutely appreciate advice on what to ask this guy, as i'm paying for my time with him and want to get the most out of it.

User Stats

Votes
Chris T.
  • Investor
  • Downers Grove, IL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Downers Grove, IL
Replied May 30 2017, 20:10

@Account Closed

YOU need to ask yourself WHY you need a LLC in the first place, what your investing strategy is and how he/she can help you.

Is it asset protection? 

Is it tax purposes? 

When Does Setting Up an Entity for Your Investments Make Sense?

Should You Get an LLC For Your Real Estate Business?

Accounting Practices for LLCs: What Every Real Estate Investor Should Know

User Stats

Votes
Michael P.
  • Marlton, NJ
Votes |
  • Marlton, NJ
Replied May 30 2017, 20:17

@Chris T.
LLC just for protection I presume, but asset protection and tax benefits can be gained by having the property under your name. Liability get umbrella.

Steadily logo
Steadily
|
Sponsored
America’s best-rated landlord insurance nationwide Quotes online in minutes. Single-family, fix n’ flips, short-term rentals, and more. Great prices.

User Stats

Votes
Charlie John
  • Investor
  • Twin Cities, MN
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Twin Cities, MN
Replied May 30 2017, 21:06

@Account Closed if you have a real purchase agreement for a deal then bring that to the meeting and you will have plenty to talk about. You learn as you go in this business. The attorney will teach you exactly what you need to Know throughout the process. Planning to buy flips throughout the year will be different legal/tax advice than buying rentals.  If you are flipping it may make more sense to create an s-corp vs Llc so you could ask about that. Good luck!

Account Closed
  • Dunedin, FL
Votes |
  • Dunedin, FL
Replied May 31 2017, 19:40

@Chris T. @Michael P. @Charlie John so i met with the attorney about general questions concerning establishing myself as an LLC and 90% of the advice he had to offer I had already read in Garret Sutton's book "start your own corporation," which i heard about in a BP podcast. Strongly recommend for any investor, new or seasoned.

Account Closed
  • Dunedin, FL
Votes |
  • Dunedin, FL
Replied May 31 2017, 19:40

and thank you all for the input