Hudson, NH · Member since 2017 · 70 posts · 47 votes
I'm researching a property and am running into two issues. First is an illegal apartment in the basement, but I think that's easy to resolve by removing some of the fixtures and then claiming it's a finished basement.
Second is the driveway. The property is listed as having a driveway but I can't figure out which one it is. There are driveways on each side of the property but I can't determine if those go to the neighboring houses or are part of this complex. The property has two small SFH on it with a little paved space between them. The property is in the city of Nashua, NH where you're not allowed to park on the streets and most properties effectively have no lawn. When visiting the property, one of the tenants had their car parked in that space between buildings. It's just wide enough for a car (can only partially open one side of the doors) and the 'driveway' ends at a curb instead of a ramp to the street.
My question is where do I look to find the property boundaries so I can determine what goes where. I want to know if that space is what they're considering the driveway or if there's a real driveway on the property. My agent isn't sure and the owners/tenants are non-communicative as they likely don't want the property sold (estate sale from dead grandparent?). I found the city's assessor report on each building but they don't mention the land.
There should be a land registry office with all transactions and surveys on file. Check with your local buildings or government office to find out where it is.
There should be a land registry office with all transactions and surveys on file. Check with your local buildings or government office to find out where it is.
Hudson, NH · Member since 2017 · 70 posts · 47 votes
9y
Found the deed and was measuring out the instructions through Google Maps. Verified with the GIS tool. Thanks guys.
That fake driveway is what they were referring too. You're allowed to store a vehicle on your property so I believe it's legal to keep a car there, but I don't know about driving up the sidewalk every day. I'll have to search around for the laws about making a driveway.
Nashua, NH · Member since 2017 · 66 posts · 58 votes
9y
I live in Nashua currently and it is a very common thing for people to do that. The tree street area is filled with people who do it I highly doubt it will be an issues
Real Estate Agent · Nashua, NH · Member since 2015 · 12 posts · 2 votes
9y
Hey Doug - you are smart to research it now than later. Prior the 1970s I have heard and seen that building permits et all were somewhat "loose" as they say. A few years ago a real estate agent friend helped a buyer get a SFM house where the owners had parked two cars tandem for YEARS.... The buyers never thought to ask otherwise. Not long afterwards, the house next door sold. After awhile Owner #2 told Owner #1 to stop parking on their land. The story was the first house had NO driveway -a friendly neighbor (most likely a relative circa 1950) had always let them park there.
IMHO the easiest and most definitive is for the owner and you get an authentic survey. Either one of you pay it all or go halvees(s). Just the cost of doing business or walk-away. If you agree then ignore the middle of this note.
The Nashua Assessor's Office are helpful and nice people but they DISCLAIM their GIS data/mapping is correct. It is not their job. And I have seen where GIS data is not correct - But they just don't have the bandwidth to fight your windmills.
More rambling.... The following can be done - but don't expect anyone but a potential buyer(You) to do it. Real Estate Agents(me) are not Surveyors, building inspectors, roofers, lawyers, Lead RRPs...... we typically know what should be done but we are the "source for the source".
Do not drink or have a large meal prior to doing this - you will get sleepy. On a rainy day go find the current deed for subject property, walk the title chain as far back as you can. Collecting and comparing all the preceding deeds, easements and plans, metes and bounds(M/B), on occasion tpyos happen. Read it once, twice and more to help visualize. READ ONLY ONE SENTENCE AT A TIME. Print out a double space copy of all the verbiage. Printout a non-earth view of subject property. The Nashua GIS map would be helpful but again the deed rules. If the deed says "one hundred eight and 54/100 (108.54) but the town says different - winner goes to the deed.
Prior to Survey day, do a lot of role play and rehearsing using a pencil at your kitchen table.
On a nice spring day, bring the verbiage, a blank map, a compass, a hundred foot roll-up tape measure, some small gardening tools to scrape away the buried marker(s). A metal detector is helpful in finding buried pins (I have one to borrow). Also having a buddy to help hold the tape, another set of eyes and to curse at can be helpful.
Ignore most of this note - either get a survey or walkaway if you think it will be a problem. Especially if you can't depend on using the 2000's "greater fool" theory.
Don't forget about shared driveways. .......another page on that .....
Lastly, even if it 100% your property, Nashua does not take kindly to inventing new "curb cuts" or driveway or blocking the sidewalk or the City's / public works / utilities easement on to your property, This applies whether you live on a $700k Tanglewood Tree street or $150k Morgan street.
Besides parking on the sidewalk, either parallel or perpendicular to the street, looks tacky(imho). While Nashua does not have an-overarching HOA. The town will let you know they are not happy with your activity/appearance on your property.
Lastly, even if it 100% your property, Nashua does not take kindly to inventing new "curb cuts" or driveway or blocking the sidewalk or the City's / public works / utilities easement on to your propert
The car fits so snugly between the two square buildings you won't see it unless you're walking past the entrance, so no concerns on an ugliness factor. It doesn't stick out onto the side walk.
I've been reading through the laws and a corner can't have a curb cut within 50 feet of it. The property is at a corner and only 50 feet wide. So much for that. I assume I could ask for an exception, but at this stage of the game I need to assume I won't get one. There is the parking lot on Elem St and it looks like you can park on the top level overnight. I'll have to call during the week to see how full they tend to be.
I verified the current deed's measurements using Google Map's measurement tool and it matches the GIS data. The other properties look like they go with their driveways, so I don't feel the need to look back through the deed history.
This property would be an excellent house hacking project for me, except for the parking. It doesn't cash flow well, but being a stand-alone building I wouldn't need to worry about making a lot of noise early morning and I'm willing to pay for that. I tend to be active at night and staying quiet has been restrictive. But I need a car to get to work.
The City of Nashua does a have a program to allow for overnight street parking on certain streets. Many of them tree streets. You can find the list of streets on the city's website. It's $10 for the year with a valid NH registration.
Real Estate Agent · Nashua, NH · Member since 2015 · 12 posts · 2 votes
9y
Hi Doug, i will have to learn the Google measuring tool - but I still think you should use the "chains and rods" and Metes and Bounds values within the deed at the Registry. Call me, we can talk about the online tool or we could do a field trip to the Registry of Deeds (downtown Nashua). it is kind of fun looking at the old stuff.
I'm a newbie to BiggerPockets so I may miss something. I thought House-hacking was having a few room-mates to pays most the bills. Will these roommates not have vehicles?
Not meaning to nit-pit parse off your note but my understanding of your comments is "a challenging neighborhood, good House hacking potential, but little parking, plus it doesn't cash flow. "
Lastly in that area of the city - you can rent a spot from a neighbor for about $30 a month. I would make the tenant pay the $30 directly rather than building it into the rent. During vacancies you may need to pay the $30 to keep the contract/relationship intact. hmmm, i may need to think about that more.