Votes
Mark Schmidt
  • Merrimac, MA
Votes |
No idea where to start

Mark Schmidt
  • Merrimac, MA
Posted Mar 18 2017, 09:05
Hello, I am new to the forums and I am excited to get started with rental deals and wholesaling deals and meeting new people along the way! I just wanted to know where everyone started and if anyone could give me some tips on starting to wholesale and how to start in rental properties as well! Thank you

User Stats

Votes
Shell W.
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
  • Atlanta, GA
Replied Mar 18 2017, 09:52

Hello @Mark Schmidt, welcome to the community.

1st - Once you have familiarized yourself with wholesaling, I would recommend starting with driving for dollars. Look for distressed properties; make note of them. Go to your tax assessor website and see if they are out-of-state owners. If they are, write them a letter stating that you would like to buy their house. I used the legal white pad to write my letters. A lot of people use yellow, but white is okay too.

If the neighbors are outside, be polite and ask if the house is vacant. If so, do they know who owns it? Is it a pretty good neighborhood? If you get the owners' number, call them. But if not, write them a letter.

2nd - I would recommend buying names from ListSource.com. There are lots of YouTube videos on how to get the criteria that you want. You can also check out the BiggerPockets' forums and call ListSource for help. Once you have this list, send the owners a letter by writing it yourself or using YellowLetters.com to send them for you.

I have had success with writing my own letters. I like it because mine are professional and I can be as personable as I want. During my first direct-mail campaign, I only mailed out 40 letters. This included my driving-for-dollars finds and names from ListSource. I have recieved 9 calls from that small list and have a closing coming up soon.

I hope this helps and wish you much success!

User Stats

Votes
Mark Schmidt
  • Merrimac, MA
Votes |
  • Merrimac, MA
Replied Mar 23 2017, 17:26

Thank you for the advice! I will have to check this out!

NREIG  logo
NREIG
|
Sponsored
Customizable insurance coverage with a program that’s easy to use Add, edit, and remove properties from your account any time with no minimum-earned premiums.