Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Starting Out
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Amy Ranae
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Maple Grove, MN
Votes |
To pay off student loans or put $$$ down on a rental

Amy Ranae
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Maple Grove, MN
Posted May 10 2016, 16:41

Hello Friends! I'm a realtor working in the twin cities and I do a lot of good business. I got into real estate to pay off my student loans without really thinking too much about investing. However, the more I work with investors and listen to podcasts, the more I think I really need to get into this. I've got about 30k left on my student loans and about 18k saved up. What are your thoughts on just paying those stupid loans off over the next year-ish vs. buying a rental now and paying the loans off more slowly? 

I feel like I go back and forth a ton. I've made offers on a few properties but our market is pretty competitive at the moment and I don't want to bite off too much with my first one. 

Thanks for you input!

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Beaver
  • Malden, MA
Votes |
  • Malden, MA
Replied May 14 2016, 14:12

Amy Ranae hey, noticed a 6.8% student loan amount?

You should consider refinancing through Sofi/earnest ..

Literally same situation about 6-8 months ago and refinanced to a 5 year floating loan from 6.8% to 4.3% (now 4.4% based on increase in libor rate). That'll take some of the interest impact off and since you're paying aggressively the min payment won't affect you. I used Sofi FYI.

From there it won't hurt you as well. My opinion, I enjoy the idea of being debt free while I'm learning/shopping around. This allows you to be patient and not rush for a deal. Then I can build my network, understand the whole direct mail strategy, and deal analysis. Seems as if you're more savvy in regards to RE than me but loan situation is about the same. I always look at the fact that I have money in a savings account making only 1% when my student loans are eating up 4% and I personally don't like that since I'm ready to wait for the right price.

I suggest going for those student loans and be as aggressive as possible

Good luck!

User Stats

Votes
Santos Plaza
  • Bronx, NY
Votes |
  • Bronx, NY
Replied May 14 2016, 15:58

I would get gazelle intense and pay off all my bills first.. You will feel so much better.. House all ways come will issues, you don't want to be stuck with issues, and a loan over head..

You'll sleep better knowing you going in with a clean slate. Good luck

Demo
Practice finding and analyzing deals
Tulsa, OK
$231,902 - Median Home Value
5.97% - YoY Rent Growth
$1,351 - Median Rental Income
0.58% - Rent/Price Ratio
4.56% - Appreciation
0.77% - Population Growth Rate
Find Deals

User Stats

Votes
Amy Ranae
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Maple Grove, MN
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Maple Grove, MN
Replied May 14 2016, 16:42

@Marvin McTaw unfortunately I no longer get to claim my student loan interest on my taxes so they're not even doing me a little bit of good...

User Stats

Votes
Amy Ranae
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Maple Grove, MN
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Maple Grove, MN
Replied May 14 2016, 16:48

@Theresa White It's not really a matter of fear of a bad idea, I know that the first deal will be a learning process and I'm honestly happy just breaking even on it. I feel like I've got some legitimate excuses for taking my time on this (just had a baby, working a TON with buyers and sellers for my "regular" real estate work, and doing projects in our own house). I can go both ways with the paying off the loans and/or buying a rental, but my feeling on it changes every few days or so depending on how busy work it. In some ways, I feel like I"m missing out when there is a lull in my market place for a week or two, but then when it picks up again and I'm swamped, it feels like I would have zero time or energy to put into it. Another thought is to just hustle through our busy season here and then do my investment shopping in the fall and winter when things slow down. So yes, these are all excuses, but in some ways to do also feel logical. 

User Stats

Votes
Amy Ranae
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Maple Grove, MN
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Maple Grove, MN
Replied May 14 2016, 16:53

@Alexander Lang I work with Bell too, I'm all approved to purchase with both a conventional loan and I've got a co that will do hard money if I want it, which would be much less out of pocket. This seems like a good idea as others have mentioned here, to flip a few and cash them out to pay off the loans large chunks. I feel like a need a partner on the first flip though or I'm going to try to do too much work by myself. 

User Stats

Votes
Amy Ranae
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Maple Grove, MN
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Maple Grove, MN
Replied May 14 2016, 16:54

@Tim Harrell good move! 

User Stats

Votes
Sean Roustio
  • Auburndale, FL
Votes |
  • Auburndale, FL
Replied May 14 2016, 17:53

@Amy Ranae I have been struggling with the same decision. I have a decent chunk of student loans from a degree that greatly increase my income. I have paid the minimum the last year and have been working to save as much money for REI as possible. My overall plan is to save x dollars so when that great REI deal is found I will be able to move on it and not miss an opportunity. After I have saved x amount I plan to attack my student loans more aggressively and attempt to refinance them into the 3%s if possible. I've been attempting to find loan repayment options as I work in the medical field but don't think that will happen unfortunately. I don't think either decision is wrong so I'm combining the "best" of both IMO.

On the same note what is everyone's opinions on decreasing 401k contributions to increase investment savings in the short term? I am currently having the maximum taken out but have contemplated decreasing it to help reach the x dollars sooner. 

User Stats

Votes
Mami Banting
  • Paramus, NJ
Votes |
  • Paramus, NJ
Replied May 14 2016, 18:06

I would definitely go for rental property. You can add extra to your loan payment from the profit you make from the rental. After you pay off your student loan you still get the income from the property while if you use all the funds to pay off your student loan nowyou won't have anything left in future.

User Stats

Votes
Theresa White
  • Xenia, OH
Votes |
  • Xenia, OH
Replied May 14 2016, 18:27

Sean Roustio , consider getting just the match on your 401, then maxing out the Roth IRA for a few years anyway and get some real estate inside the IRA in addition to your REI activities outside the IRA!

Amy Ranae , no matter what route you go, you'll still be better than most people because you're deliberately thinking this through! Best of luck...and trust your gut. For me, when I go back and forth on a decision it's because I'm not comfortable with the risk.

User Stats

Votes
Howard Maidens
  • Jenison, MI
Votes |
  • Jenison, MI
Replied May 14 2016, 18:51

As an avid Dave Ramsey fan, my advice would be to pay off the loans. There will always be deals out there, and you have time. I asked a similar question to my accountant. His response was "what you don't owe, can't hurt you". My goal has always been to be debt free. I currently own a 4plex which I have a mortgage on, but that is the only debt we have. My plan is to flip to pay off that debt as fast as possible. Then I will start the process over. I sleep better knowing I have no personal debt.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

User Stats

Votes
Penny Clark
Pro Member
  • Sacramento, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Sacramento, CA
Replied May 14 2016, 19:16

@Amy Ranae, I would pay off your student loan IF you will be financing your properties with FHA or conventional loans. Owing on a student loan and a car will affect income to debt ratio even if your other personal debt is zero and you may fail to qualify for the amount you need to purchase your property. If you simply can't wait, then consider partnering up with someone to reduce your D/I ratio or find a private lender to finance part of the deal.

Good luck!

User Stats

Votes
Justin Windham
Pro Member
  • Solo 401k provider
  • Denver & Hilton Head
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Solo 401k provider
  • Denver & Hilton Head
Replied May 15 2016, 07:36

@Amy Ranae

The conventional financial wisdom is to pay off debt before building rainy day savings, before investing. You'll get plenty of advice for deviations from that path and many successful investors have proven that such deviations are worthwhile. Really it comes down to what degree of assurance you can have in any greater returns you can generate with your investment compared to the interest on your loans.

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Jay Johal
  • Internal Medicine Physician
  • San Diego, Ca
Votes |
  • Internal Medicine Physician
  • San Diego, Ca
Replied May 15 2016, 10:32

I would put them towards the principal of your student loan. You can always get creative with financing your first investment, but not with student loans. 

User Stats

Votes
Amy Ranae
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Maple Grove, MN
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Maple Grove, MN
Replied May 16 2016, 20:29

Alright friends. I've decided to keep aggressively paying the student loans WHILE keeping my eyes open (and actively shopping) for rental deals. I figure, if I'm at least going through the motions of buying an investment property if one jumps up and bite me I will be ready. I really appreciate all of your input and discussion on this, it makes me feel less crazy for having these similar conversations in my own head =) 

Cheers!

User Stats

Votes
Amy Ranae
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Maple Grove, MN
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Maple Grove, MN
Replied Jul 11 2016, 09:18

Ok friends! My student loans are officially paid off! Time to get after it on some investments!!!

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Beaver
  • Malden, MA
Votes |
  • Malden, MA
Replied Jul 28 2016, 06:07

Amy Ranae this thread is super long so I may have missed this but... Have you considered refinancing your student loans with a services such as earnest or Sofi?

Although I'm in an aggressive payoff mode right now, I refinanced to a 5 year variable loan with an interest rate 2 lower than it started at.

User Stats

Votes
Amy Ranae
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Maple Grove, MN
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Maple Grove, MN
Replied Jul 28 2016, 06:39

Andrew Beaver I have paid them off!! At one point I checked into sofi and it was really expensive!

So now that they are paid off I am shopping and offering! Just lost the last two so looking for more now!

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Beaver
  • Malden, MA
Votes |
  • Malden, MA
Replied Jul 28 2016, 07:11

Oh wow! Yes I now see that haha... Way to go! I'm happy for you because I know I'm doing the same right now and I'm very anxious to have them gone (end September for me)!

Good luck with your research!