Pittsburgh Real Estate While in Pittsburgh

Pittsburgh Real Estate While in Pittsburgh

Real Estate Professional · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2014 · 18 posts · 3 votes

Hey BP! Long time reader first time poster.  

 Let me start by introducing myself. My name is Mike Calabrese. I am currently a senior in college studying Finance graduating in December 2016. Over the past year to a year and half I have been taking in all I can learn about real estate. So far, I have found most of what I learned to be really interesting and could see myself being part of the Industry in the near future specifically buy and hold and the flipping of properties. I have a few questions I would like you guys to take a look at and see if you guys have any insight.         

First - I am currently applying for a summer internship. I was wondering what kinda companies I should be targeting with my applications. Are there a certain companies that would the best to look at for my situation? I would love to do something were I was around people buying and selling properties with a focus more on the financial side. I am from Pittsburgh but I have no problems leaving for the summer if there are better cities to get involved in. I believe I have something to offer these companies so hopefully I can find something! I guess I just don't know where to look. Career Services at my school wasn't to helpful....   

Second - I currently am working on the weekends doing computer type work. I would love to switch it out and find a part-time job that I could get involved in real estate with somehow. I was wondering if it was at all possible to become an agent and try my hand at that while finishing my last year and half at school. I would see if I could get my license over my winter break if at all possible. I guess my question is would this be worth it in the long run or would this simply be a waste of time? I know being an agent can be real competitive. The competition isn't what scares me rather it is the opportunity cost of not spending my time wisely.  

Third - I guess is there anything any of you wish would have done at my age in my situation that would have given you a leg up in your career???? 

I also wanted to say how helpful and awesome the BP community is. It is truly something special. Can't wait to here back!!!!

Mike 

0Reply
15 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Miami, FL · Member since 2015 · 92 posts · 24 votes
    11y

    You want to look at mentors that are motivated for the business. Companies can be large and all but if they don't motivate you, what's the difference between going it alone? Give the companies a shot and let us know how it goes.

    In order to buy and sell properties for a commission you will need a real estate license. However you can do this for free in the sense of a real estate internship. What's that something you have to offer to companies? 

    Also, real estate activity can be done part-time. Unfortunately, the love I have consumes me entirely into this field. Not instantly, but with time. It's been only three weeks for me and it consumes over half of my day. Anyways, taking action is the most important action. Action builds on action if it is successful, and I believe in you based on your conviction. Any questions? Let's connect. Joe

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Allentown, PA · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 701 votes
    11y

    @Mike Calabrese

    Some of the most successful people I know in real estate started at the bottom. Hauling garbage, hanging sheetrock at 2 AM to get a job done, laying tile, etc. I think everyone gets caught up in the glitz and glamour of something like an internship. Don't overlook the basics. Learn how to swing a hammer. Learn how a house works inside and out. Until you know how a house works, you'll never know what you're looking at when a contractor hands you a bid. How much does HVAC, windows, doors, etc. cost. 

    If you start with a few rentals, and the sink busts, are you going to pay a plumber $300-$500 or can you spend 5 minutes tinkering with it yourself. 

    All that being said, don't be afraid to find a small to medium-sized flipper in your area who can use some "cheap" labor for the summer who will educate you along the way. You'd be surprised at how much you can learn on the ground everyday. If you're more into buy and hold, find someone with 50-100 units who might be self managing them but could use you to be a right hand man for the summer. 

    Just my two cents.. good luck in whatever direction you head.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.