Starting out with REI in Phoenix

Starting out with REI in Phoenix

New to Real Estate · Phoenix · Member since 2024 · 5 posts · 10 votes

Hey there BP community! 

I saw a post for a new investor moving to Phoenix, and I thought making a post myself would be a good way to connect with the community here. 


A little bit about me
: I'm 30 years old and have been living full time in my sprinter camper van for the past 3 years working remotely in tech. I was drawn to real estate as a way of investing money I have saved up (around $130K with additional funds to leverage out of a 401K if needed), and potentially creating reliable cash flow over the next 10 years. I chose Phoenix because it's close the areas I normally post up and has strong fundamentals, and I have built up come community here over the years. I'm now finally here in person, and have started to go view places in person with the intent of purchasing. I've been reading books on the subject (Small and Might Real estate investor) and listening to the BP podcasts for a few months now, and I was initially very excited about finding a multi-family property to start out, in order to maximize my leverage against an FHA loan. However, as I've been tracking new listings in this area and running the numbers on them, I have realized this strategy has either gotten too much attention in the last few years or the supply just isn't there any more. I can see many people's recommendations in the other thread being focused on house hacking, which makes sense to me.

What I'm hoping to find: I'm hoping to make connections, for mutual benefit; this could be investor friendly agents who have experience with identifying promising house hacks, investors who are looking for an additional financial partner, investors who are looking for a partner to help manage the load of projects (I am naturally drawn to planning and execution), and more broadly anyone who is willing to share experience and create new connections! I'm also open to recommendations of other community spaces that I can engage with specific to the Phoenix area. 


Thank you, and hope to meet you soon. 

Max

4Reply
26 views

Most Popular Reply

Robin SimonBusiness Member
Lender · Austin, TX · Member since 2022 · 5k+ posts · 4k+ votes
1y

Welcome to BP, sounds like you have a good gameplan!

See this reply in the discussion

13 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • San Diego, CA · Member since 2024 · 88 posts · 67 votes
    1y

    I totally agree with you @Mike Fingleton! 

    And this one cracked me up: "We were sipping lukewarm coffee from chipped mugs, half convinced we’d made a mistake." LOL. I can so relate with those days!!

  • Robin SimonBusiness Member
    Lender · Austin, TX · Member since 2022 · 5k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    1y

    Welcome to BP, sounds like you have a good gameplan!

  • Lender · TX · Member since 2024 · 308 posts · 196 votes
    1y

    Hi Max, Sounds like you’re in a great place. Living in a camper van for 3 years while working remotely is impressive — that kind of adaptability definitely carries over to real estate. It’s great that you’re already networking and tracking the market. I’m in the private lending space, so if you ever want to chat about financing options or need a second opinion on a deal, I’m happy to connect. Best of luck as you get started in Phoenix!

  • Real Estate Agent · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2024 · 10 posts · 2 votes
    1y

    Hey Max welcome to Phoenix! I've lived here my whole life and it's awesome place for real estate. 

    I just graduated college and got my license 5 months ago so I'm brand new to real estate as well. Right now, I'm working with a team that helps find off market properties for investors which has been a great way to dive in and connect with experience professionals in the industry. Ultimately, I plan on investing myself either going the house hacking route or doing a flip. Would love to connect with you and share our experiences getting started in our real estate journeys!

  • Wale LawalBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Houston | Dallas | Austin, TX · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    1y

    @Max Serpe

    Welcome to BP!

    If I were in your shoes, I'd focus on house hacking in Phoenix by exploring multi-family properties or using the BRRRR strategy with undervalued single-family homes. Partnering with investors, attending local meetups, and building a strong network would be key steps. I'd also prioritize getting pre-approved, securing financing, and starting small to build experience and momentum.

    Good luck!

  • Realtor · Phoenix AZ, USA · Member since 2023 · 209 posts · 81 votes
    1y

    Hey Max my business partner and I are agents and investors here in Phoenix ourselves. Have helped multiple clients maximize their house hacking properties this year as well. 

    I'll PM you, but would love to connect!

  • Grant SchroederPro Member
    Lender · OR ID AZ CA WA CO NV TN MT · Member since 2018 · 598 posts · 312 votes
    1y

    Welcome @Max Serpe! Definitely connect with @Jackson Harris and @Jeremy Holden if you have not already! They are experts and an incredible local market resource.

  • New to Real Estate · Miami, FL · Member since 2024 · 1k+ posts · 448 votes
    1y

    Hi Max,

    Welcome to Phoenix! House hacking is a great starting strategy, especially with FHA loans. If multifamily options seem scarce, consider house hacking single-family homes with extra rooms or an ADU for cash flow. To connect, join local REI meetups, BiggerPockets threads, or Phoenix investor groups. An investor-friendly agent is also key.

    If you’re looking for creative financing options, feel free to reach out, I’m here to help!

    Drago

  • Realtor · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2025 · 57 posts · 21 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Max Serpe:

    Hey there BP community! 

    I saw a post for a new investor moving to Phoenix, and I thought making a post myself would be a good way to connect with the community here. 


    A little bit about me
    : I'm 30 years old and have been living full time in my sprinter camper van for the past 3 years working remotely in tech. I was drawn to real estate as a way of investing money I have saved up (around $130K with additional funds to leverage out of a 401K if needed), and potentially creating reliable cash flow over the next 10 years. I chose Phoenix because it's close the areas I normally post up and has strong fundamentals, and I have built up come community here over the years. I'm now finally here in person, and have started to go view places in person with the intent of purchasing. I've been reading books on the subject (Small and Might Real estate investor) and listening to the BP podcasts for a few months now, and I was initially very excited about finding a multi-family property to start out, in order to maximize my leverage against an FHA loan. However, as I've been tracking new listings in this area and running the numbers on them, I have realized this strategy has either gotten too much attention in the last few years or the supply just isn't there any more. I can see many people's recommendations in the other thread being focused on house hacking, which makes sense to me.

    What I'm hoping to find: I'm hoping to make connections, for mutual benefit; this could be investor friendly agents who have experience with identifying promising house hacks, investors who are looking for an additional financial partner, investors who are looking for a partner to help manage the load of projects (I am naturally drawn to planning and execution), and more broadly anyone who is willing to share experience and create new connections! I'm also open to recommendations of other community spaces that I can engage with specific to the Phoenix area. 


    Thank you, and hope to meet you soon. 

    Max


    Hey, welcome to the community!

    Sounds like you've put a lot of thought into your investment strategy, and Phoenix is definitely a solid market with strong fundamentals. House hacking is still one of the best ways to get started, especially with an FHA loan, but as you mentioned, competition for good multi-family deals has been tough. You might also want to consider single-family homes with ADUs or properties with extra rentable space as an alternative strategy.

    It’s great that you’re looking to connect with investor-friendly agents and potential partners—having the right team makes all the difference. There are some solid real estate meetups in Phoenix, and groups like AZREIA (Arizona Real Estate Investors Association) can be great for networking and finding deals.

    If you're open to it, I’d be happy to connect and share insights on the local market. What areas in Phoenix are you focusing on so far?

  • Contractor · Scottsdale, AZ · Member since 2010 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    1y

    Hey Max! Scottsdale local here. Sent you a DM.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.