Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Starting Out
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Elda Asheley
  • New to Real Estate
  • Charlotte/Rockhill (Nc/Sc)
Votes |
What is the best way to invest in 2024 for a newbie?

Elda Asheley
  • New to Real Estate
Posted

Hi, I’ve been researching and contemplating on which area of real estate I should invest in. I came to realize that I am missing professional/ seasoned advice. I would like to know what is the best way to invest right now for a newbie in 2024? 

User Stats

Votes
Replied
Quote from @Elda Asheley:

Hi, I’ve been researching and contemplating on which area of real estate I should invest in. I came to realize that I am missing professional/ seasoned advice. I would like to know what is the best way to invest right now for a newbie in 2024? 

Hey there!

Great to see you taking the first steps toward real estate investing! 2024 has a lot of opportunities for newbies, but finding the right area can definitely feel overwhelming. From my experience, starting with long-term rental properties is a smart move, especially for those looking to build wealth steadily over time. Multifamily properties, like duplexes, can be particularly appealing because they allow you to live in one unit and rent out the other, which helps with covering the mortgage while also generating income.

Another option is to invest out-of-state in markets where property prices are more reasonable but still offer great cash flow. For example, Indianapolis is a market that’s been attracting a lot of attention from investors lately because of its affordability, solid rent returns, and growing population. I work with new construction duplexes in Indy that are a great fit for investors looking for turnkey options without the headaches of major repairs.

Feel free to reach out if you'd like to chat more about how to get started in 2024 or explore some out-of-state options. I’d be happy to walk you through what’s worked for me and others starting out.

Best of luck on your journey!
Ryan Cheek

User Stats

Votes
Min Zhang
Agent
#1 New Member Introductions Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
Votes |
Agent
#1 New Member Introductions Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
Replied

Hey Elda, I like starting in the Midwest because it's affordable and offers good cash flow. Following David Green's Core 4 strategy (realtor, contractor, property manager, and lender) gives confidence to invest anywhere. I focus on Columbus, Ohio, which has seen significant growth, especially with tech giants like Intel, Meta, Amazon, and Google setting up operations, driving up property prices and job opportunities. I also invest in Cleveland and Dayton. Let me know if you need assistance!

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Replied

As you will come to find out, there are so many different avenues of real estate you can invest in. My recommendation is research them all, go to local meetups, and find what you're most passionate about and what you're best at. Narrow it down to one niche and become subject matter expert in that field. That's what I'm trying to do at the moment because I am relatively new in this field. For example, I've taken into account house hacking, SFH investing, multis, STR, co-hosting, wholesaling, and syndications. There are a lot more option out there but find what works best for you and become an expert on the topic and dive in. You got this!

User Stats

Votes
Elda Asheley
  • New to Real Estate
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
Replied
Quote from @Min Zhang:

Hey Elda, I like starting in the Midwest because it's affordable and offers good cash flow. Following David Green's Core 4 strategy (realtor, contractor, property manager, and lender) gives confidence to invest anywhere. I focus on Columbus, Ohio, which has seen significant growth, especially with tech giants like Intel, Meta, Amazon, and Google setting up operations, driving up property prices and job opportunities. I also invest in Cleveland and Dayton. Let me know if you need assistance!

Thank you for that advice!

User Stats

Votes
Elda Asheley
  • New to Real Estate
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
Replied
Quote from @Jakob Mikhitarian:

As you will come to find out, there are so many different avenues of real estate you can invest in. My recommendation is research them all, go to local meetups, and find what you're most passionate about and what you're best at. Narrow it down to one niche and become subject matter expert in that field. That's what I'm trying to do at the moment because I am relatively new in this field. For example, I've taken into account house hacking, SFH investing, multis, STR, co-hosting, wholesaling, and syndications. There are a lot more option out there but find what works best for you and become an expert on the topic and dive in. You got this!

Thank you so much!

User Stats

Votes
Elda Asheley
  • New to Real Estate
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
Replied
Quote from @Ryan Cheek:

Hey there!

Great to see you taking the first steps toward real estate investing! 2024 has a lot of opportunities for newbies, but finding the right area can definitely feel overwhelming. From my experience, starting with long-term rental properties is a smart move, especially for those looking to build wealth steadily over time. Multifamily properties, like duplexes, can be particularly appealing because they allow you to live in one unit and rent out the other, which helps with covering the mortgage while also generating income.

Another option is to invest out-of-state in markets where property prices are more reasonable but still offer great cash flow. For example, Indianapolis is a market that’s been attracting a lot of attention from investors lately because of its affordability, solid rent returns, and growing population. I work with new construction duplexes in Indy that are a great fit for investors looking for turnkey options without the headaches of major repairs.

Feel free to reach out if you'd like to chat more about how to get started in 2024 or explore some out-of-state options. I’d be happy to walk you through what’s worked for me and others starting out.

Best of luck on your journey!
Ryan Cheek

Thank you so much for you advice!

User Stats

Votes
Adam Bartomeo
Property Manager
Pro Member
#5 Managing Your Property Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cape Coral, FL
Votes |
Property Manager
Pro Member
#5 Managing Your Property Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cape Coral, FL
Replied

Don't invest in STR's...

User Stats

Votes
Brian Kloft
  • Investor
  • Arizona & Oregon Coast
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Arizona & Oregon Coast
Replied

There is no one best way to invest in RE. It is more of what fits you and your personality and what gets you excited. With that said, for someone young and just starting out, needing to figure out all of those items; my go to answer is some form of a house hack. That can be renting out rooms in a house to buying a 2,3, or 4plex and living in one of the units while renting the others out. The loans on a house hack are going to be some of the most favorable ones you can get since it is considered an owner occupied plus you should be able to get a first time buyer bonus of some sort. 

User Stats

Votes
Jimmy Lieu
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied

Hi Elda, there are so many strategies you can try. I started with house hacking when I moved from Portland OR to Columbus OH and then moved on to purchasing my own rentals and growing my portfolio to over 7 figures. The key is to find a market that has great macroeconomics just like Columbus OH. Anything you purchase here now will appreciate like crazy because of various economic drivers - population growth, job growth, and major companies moving and developing here like Intel, Meta, Google, Amazon, etc. My out of state clients are successfully BRRRRing and flipping here and are purchasing deals at a very cheap price point. Happy to connect and answer any questions you may have.

User Stats

Votes
Samuel Diouf#2 New Member Introductions Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
Samuel Diouf#2 New Member Introductions Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied

I'd say house-hacking is one of the best ways to get your foot in the door of investing. You’re able to learn the basics of a real estate investment with lower risk and build equity at the same time. Being able to enter a property with only 5% down means you can leverage your money way more effectively as well. When you leverage money personally, I think it makes more sense to invest in appreciating markets