Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Starting Out
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Annie Sanchez
Votes |
Finding the right job

Annie Sanchez
Posted

Hi! I want to pivot careers into the real estate world, but am seeking advice for what type of jobs I should be looking for. I have a real estate finance degree, but decided to pursue a different career field post graduation. In the future, I would love to start with owning multi-family rentals and eventually get into investing in high density rental developments. At some point, I will get my real estate license to get access to the MLS and to qualify for seller financing, but I am also debating whether I should get the license before getting a real estate job or simply before I am ready to start buying my own properties.

However, I am primarily seeking advice on what type of real estate jobs I should be looking for while I gain experience in the real estate field (I am not interested in selling real estate).

User Stats

Votes
Rene Hosman
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Denver, CO
ModeratorReplied

You don't need to be an agent to have the opportunity to buy a seller financed deal! My question to you @Annie Sanchez is - is there a particular part of real estate that most interests you? Do you like design? Are you great at organizing and maybe you'd be a good fit at a mortgage brokerage? Are you more interested in short term rentals (thinking about opportunities to co-host STRs)? Or are you most interested in long term rentals (thinking about jobs that a property manager might hire for)? Are you skilled at marketing - if so potentially you could market yourself as a virtual assistant for folks in the real estate world so that you can learn from a lot of folks at once? 

Ultimately I think a lot of us are in real estate because we have found a way to make real estate fit our lifestyle and goals for the long term. I'm thinking of the expression "whatever works is what works for you" so I'm curious if maybe you should flip this problem upside down and start by thinking things like

•What do I want my life to look like in 5-10 years?

•What specific things do I NOT want in my life, and not have to worry about in 5-10 years?

•When I am doing ______ I feel most productive and excited about the work I'm doing

Thats a very simple view but I believe perhaps if you start with those 3 questions you may be able to work backward into what opportunities for a career in real estate may suit you for the long run!

Best of luck and please keep us updated here on what you decide to do!

User Stats

Votes
Michael Smythe
Property Manager
  • Property Manager
  • Metro Detroit
Votes |
Property Manager
  • Property Manager
  • Metro Detroit
Replied

You can work for a PMC.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes