Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Starting Out
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Carl Rowles
Pro Member
Votes |
Screen Existing Tenants?

Carl Rowles
Pro Member
Posted

This is my first BP Forum post - please be gentle! 

Looking to buy our first invesment property. One we're looking at is a multi-family duplex. Tenants have been there for 7 and 10 years respectively, but rent is is about $350 under market value. They're on month-to-month leases. How would you proceed in this situation if you were to pursue the rental? I still have to see what's happening with utilities, but right now it would cashflow anywhere from $150-$300 (depending on the loan type and DP we select) with a CoC ROI between 9.9%-10.8% (lower than some other options we're looking at, but it already has tenants...)

Thoughts?

User Stats

Votes
Nicholas Coulter
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Southern California
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Southern California
Replied

What are your tenant right laws like in Cedar Rapids? Can you end the lease and get new tenants in at market rents? In my experience land lords who have that length of tenant and they can show rent rolls of payments on time are ok with sub market rents because the tenant is so "easy". With you paying market price you may not feel the same. 

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied
Quote from @Carl Rowles:

As a rule of thumb, I prefer to remove any tenant that is currently 20% below market or more. Why? Because the typically can't afford the increase. Even if they can afford it, they won't be happy about it and you may have more problems down the road. It's best practice to remove them, spruce the place up, and put in new tenants at market rate that have been screened and approved by you.

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo
BiggerPockets logo
Network With Property Managers
|
BiggerPockets
Partnering with a property manager before you buy will boost your bottom line. Match and mingle with top property managers now!

User Stats

Votes
Replied

I'm still learning a lot about this and our initial thoughts were to find a place with tenants. However, we just looked at our first property last week that had tenants and our minds changed.  Now other properties could be different, but we are now looking for duplexes with 1 vacant unit so we can rehab and get market rates and then move the other tenant out after the rehab.  It was definitely an eye opener especially because the pictures online showed a completely different picture of the state of the units.